Mmmh, does the empty thread means that I actually deleted my whole, long message?

Nevermind, let me try to write it down a second time:

I've been looking to buy a new main voice for my somewhat small case (3x84HP).
Complex oscillators (these days Instruo cs-l, Rossum trident and Double helix) seem like the most natural/common choice as they pack multiple modules in one. So, I was about to pull the trigger but against my gut: I have a feeling that other coherent paths to building complex sounds exist, and that they may suit me better.

So, my question is:
are there other winning couples of modules that would pack a lot of sonic possibilities and in maybe other directions than the traditional Buchla 259 system?

I heard of the trio Dixie + Rubicon + Wavefolder of course, and other people even mention coupling 2 mangroves.. I thought that a Rubicon + a Mangrove could be interesting, but I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Of course, if you really think that a complex OSC would simply provide more,
I'd love to hear you too!

I'm working on something similar to this, I think. I'm building what could effectively be a bank of 4 complex VCO's by combining some dual oscillators with some signal minglers.

I have built 4 2VL1's by Weston Audio, which is a dual oscillator plus a LFO in a tight 10hp package. I'm planning on combining these with 4 Mutable Instruments Warps, which acts as the 'signal mingler' component of a complex Oscillator, and is capable of FM, AM, and many other modulations. There is a small 8hp version of this module out there called Twist that I'm planning to use. I have those modules together with a 4x4 buffered multi to handle feeding CV inputs to multiple Oscillators at once and an octal VCA to handle output. The plan of course is to use the module as one component in a larger system. While the 2VL1 lacks a true sine wave option, I really like its construction and size factor. I'll be pumping all of this plus a power supply module into a 1-row 104hp package.

I asked about viable complex oscillators elsewhere but found there wasn't much out there beyond the obvious options such as the Rossum Trident and Make Noise DPO, etc, and there was not much at all as far as DIY options, which is what I was interested in. Someone turned me on to the MU Warps in that conversation. I thought I had oggled the entire line of MU products, but several had apparently gotten past me (such as the truly amazing Edges). I'll be acquiring my 1st Warps at the end of the month, and will be getting 3 more if the results are good.

Here is the current plan for my project:
ModularGrid Rack

Hey wendallsan, thanks for such a detailed answer!

I didn't know of the 2VL1 nor warps and it seems a bang for the buck.
Especially, the warps seems like a smart choice in a smaller rack like mine.

Can you explain why you decided to go for the same 4 complex voices, instead of varying the separate voices?
I guess it makes sense when you want to use the module inside a larger system like yours and need polyphony.

On my side, I finally went to the store and tested different modules, and reality is that everything I tested sounded good... I think I could see myself with anything that's usually mentioned of forums. It's sort of a relief and I understand better what more experienced users usually say: that all major complex oscillators or Rubicon are all good decisions and that it's just matter of personal preference...

Not that it helps at making an actual decision but anyway

Nobody answered - so I will.
I have a Cs-L. And I had a Rubicon and used the Ts-L as a modulator. The Cs-L is much more magical - particularly when you cross-modulate both VCOs with their wavefolders. It is also smaller in HP than Rubicon2/Dixie2+/µFold.
For the other COs I've tried - I'd still prefer the Rubicon over a DPO, Verbos or Endorphines.
But I think the new contender will be Frap Tools Brenso - it looks and sounds really impressive.
Sounds like it may be available by summer.
Even if I do get a Brenso - I will never let go of my Cs-L though. It's just that good.

Complex oscillators come in all types and is a really wide category... it's basically everything that's not based on basic oscillator shapes and generation techniques. There are always exceptions, so don't take that as an absolute definition.

Complex oscillators offer some very interesting sounds and development of those sounds right out of the box. But if you stack enough modules together, you can get some very complex sounds out of traditional oscillators.

I think it all comes down to whatever blows your skirt up. I have a Rubicon 2. It's through-zero and I like it. But there's a lot to be said for digital modules, wavetable modules, phase, etc.

What brush would you like to paint with?

Ronin1973 - I agree with you completely in your description of complex waveform generation.
However, I interpret the name "Complex Oscillator" - with a capital C and O - to be very specific. I assume (humbly), and have always been of the understanding that this term specifically refers to the methods of creating complex waveshapes in the method employed by Don Buchla with his Buchla 259 Complex Oscillator.
photo here: https://modularsynthesis.com/roman/buchla259/259_cwg.jpg
Technically - the creation of a waveform using a basic FM schema of modulator and carrier, with further adjustments using symmetry and wavefolding. As opposed to say phase modulation, multi-operator FM, wavetable synthesis, etc...
I like the tradition and challenges that come with it.
Rubicon2 is a perfect example of the carrier part of this - add a modulator of your choice. Love that it's through-zero.
Even Buchla have evolved their Complex Oscillator - their newer module, 259e Twisted Waveform Generator is digital, and uses bits of of it's own operating code to create wavetables to use as it's modulator! Wish they had a Eurorack version! Probably the closest module we have to this is the Hertz Donut MkIII.
Great statement - "What brush would you like to paint with?" ...well said!