https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1089566.jpg

Finally considering taking the dive into modular. Seeing as how I already own a Neutron I figured that would be a solid building block. I want to be able to do some basic sequencing and still be able to utilize the Neutron as a standalone synth via USB MIDI. I tried to cover the basics, as far as I understand them. Also wanted to leave room for future modules. I think the Morphagene would be a nice addition. Looking for ANY feedback or advice. I also own a 0 coast and was considering implementing it but it looks a little tricky to add to the rack. I don’t consider myself tech savvy enough to alter it to make it work. But perhaps someone could let me know their thoughts regarding that and how it would complement the Neutron and the modules I’ve picked out.

Thanks in advance!!!

Anyone?

OK, let's start from the basics here...first of all, the Neutron (and anything else that already has a powered case) doesn't belong in the Eurorack cab. Let's assume that we're looking at a typical 2 x 104 case here; I'll use the Tiptop Mantis as an example...

A Behringer Neutron currently streets for $290, and comes in a case with power already. A Mantis streets for $335.

Since a Mantis has 208 hp total in space, now we'll divide 335 by that 208 hp figure...and get 1.61. This is how much each hp in the case costs. Multiply times 80, and you get 128.85 (rounded). This means your Neutron, when in the Mantis, doesn't cost $290...it ACTUALLY costs $418.85, because you're now using expensive Eurorack cab space to house and power something that's already housed and powered. Any time you decase something that's already housed and powered, this happens, and it's necessary to tally up an ACTUAL cost per hp to see what an action like that really costs! In the end, while it might be convenient to put something like that in with the rest of the modules, it's a spendy solution to something that technically isn't a problem in the first place.

So...before anything else gets decided, you need to sort out whether you MUST have the Neutron in the Eurorack cab, or whether sensible economics is going to prevail here and there's a free 80 hp all of a sudden.

Certainly not a must.. but I figured it would be a basic building block in essence. But I understand what you’re saying. At this point I would like to start with the neutron as the basis and expand on it. Don’t see why I couldn’t always recase it and use that hp space for something down the road. With that being said.. any feedback on taking that route?

Any time you get into your cases and start to move things around, there are risks. Anything from bent connector pins to broken assemblies to random bits of metal junk getting into the case can result in serious problems. It's best to decide on a configuration and then stick with it, from the standpoint of wear and tear on components. Even something as basic as a stripped-out rail hole or nut can prove to be a major annoyance over time. And as for random metal bits...it doesn't take much of a little shred of metal to cause a major disaster in any electronic device, particularly one where you have DC at a rather hefty amperage. I have not-fond memories of my father totally destroying a TV many years back when a tiny, broken-off bit of antenna wire not more than 1/4" long fell into the set's back and blew up something high-powered and important. Given that much of the circuitry inside a Eurorack system is exposed, including (quite often) the DC rails, this is a very real hazard. Also, keep in mind that everything behind that panel is interconnected through the bus boards; a failure at one point in a system can easily cascade into other modules, the power supply hardware, or even get out of the system via any number of connections to cause havoc elsewhere, depending on what failed and how.

So, yeah...economics again. Blowing up a build, though, is a disaster of proportions far worse than simply wasting money recasing something that's already cased.