Hello fellow Wigglers! this is my first post, please be gentle :)

I recently ordered an Elektron Digitakt and it'll be a great standalone device but I would love to incorporate it into my current rig.
Youtube has already given me good options like the Mutant Brain, Hermod, Polyend Poly, and the Expert Sleepers FH-2. The CV OCD was also another option but i would prefer to keep everything contained in my eurorack. If anyone has ever had any experience in this situation i would deeply appreciate some sage advice. I definitely would like to future proof and have some versatility with whatever module i do end up going with!

The Mutant Brain seems optimal in terms of price and size and the favorite of the bunch from what I've seen and read but I'm a little intimated by the mutant brain surgery set up. My personal preference is the Hermod although i might be distracted by all the bells and whistles it has among the midi to CV capability not to mention a lot of menu diving.

My current set up:
- Main voice and sequencing is Intellijel Atlantis/Metropolis ( tasty tones, sh101 is one of my favs)
- Drums are a couple tiptop audio 808 modules and peaks in bass drum mode with a 4MS RCD tiggering
- Mutable Intruments Clouds with parasite firmware for FX (and music concrete magic)
- Make Noise Brains and pressure points transposing metropolis or triggering other things
- Bastl ABC and MI Veils as my mixer and vca
- Intellijel uJack sending out to my interface or headphones
I know I'm missing some plumbing and other useful modules but i have minimal space in my 84hp Doepfer rack.

My main goal was to have a eurorack able to handle late night acid jams and more experimental soundscapes and its certainly capable of both but with the addition of the Digitakt I'll be able to free up space (i.e, get rid of the drum section) for the midi to cv module and other versatile options!

Sorry for the long post! thank you for taking the time to read this and for your input!

• Keep on racking in the free world

My vote goes for the FH-2 here. Here's why...

First of all, it's intended to work as a USB host. This is a tad different, because it means you can connect MIDI-over-USB devices directly to it. This will result in a bit better timing, but also in that you can use the FH-2 to connect pretty much any USB controller into your modular rig...and your DAW, too.

Second, while it does require a bit more programming savvy, once it HAS been programmed for your use, then there's little need to do that again. But the FH-2 improves on this by adding some extra operational modes AND by allowing memories for different setups. So, let's say you're using this with the Digitakt in your studio, but you need to gig live with it being controlled by a Keystep. Simple...just switch your preset to a different one, plug in the appropriate device, and there you are!

Third: MPE, baybee!!! Yeah, you can hook up something like a Linstrument to it, and as long as the FH-2 has been taught what to do with it, you're golden. You can also assign any of the MPE controls to a CV output, so...well, that's a rabbit hole in of itself!

Last: expandability. If your modular grows, the FH-2 can grow...up to 7 more FHX-1 expanders can be linked to it for a maximum of 64 assignable outs.

And, oh yeah...you can use it to auto-calibrate your VCO tunings. Smooth!

What Lugia said, basically. If you want to do more than sequencing drum modules with an Elektron device the FH-2 is perfect. Because the best thing about Elektron's Midi sequencers is their ability to plock Midi CC. And most other Midi-CV modules severely limit the CCs one can use. As far as versatility is concerned the FH-2 has very little competition (Endorphines Shuttle Control, Polyend Poly 2), but the option to expand it up to 64 outputs makes it unique (in fact, you could have 64 CV + 64 gate outputs). So far I've got 3 expansion modules and I could easily use a few more. The initial setup isn't exactly intuitive but it's so worth it - and most importantly it just works.

Awesome! thank you Lugia and Senor-Bling for your great feedback! I'll be watching more tutorials about the FH-2, seems like this module is a rabbit hole in it self ha!

Oh, it is! Not only do you have the MIDI over USB interfacing, the setup memories, the expandability...you ALSO get arpeggiation and some basic sequencing trickery. Really, this module is the sort of thing you'd expect Billy Mays to be screaming at you about on late-nite TV...it even makes a killer grilled cheese!

Ich hab das vermona qm quad midi dran. Läuft gut. Lg

This thing is awesome for the Digitakt and for PC too:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/lpzw-modules-tram8-3u