ModularGrid Rack

Hi,

I'm starting my first rack and here are the modules I have so far - wondering what else I need as I'm interested in doing ambient stuff. What would you recommend? VCA? VCO? etc...open to any and all suggestions. Thanks, y'all.

Hi Joelstj,

Since you plan such a small rack, start with removing the Mother-32 from Moog and the Make Noise - Morphagene and then consider a classic setup of minimum 2 VCOs, 2 filters, 2 EGs, 1 or 2 LFOs, 2 VCAs, mixer, audio module you got already so that one can stay and the Maths module is large but if you wish you can keep that as well, almost half the world got one ;-)

Brutal on removing these two modules (Moog + Morphagene)? Yes indeed but they slurp up so much space that's not worth it for such a small rack. The Moog can work in it's own case so leave it there first till you got a mega rack and you don't care any longer about a 100 more or less HP space but till then better leave it out :-)

Doubtless, the Morphagene is a fantastic module (it's on my wish list too) but not to start with and not with such a small rack.

So consider at least 3 rows of 84 HP to give you a bit more flexibility in the near future.

Consider working on the above classic setup and then take it from there, build up your experience and take it slowly on increasing the numbers of modules. Don't buy in one go an entire full rack, that's not recommendable.

Good luck with your planning and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks - any recommendations of the modules you recommended?

Hi Joelstj,

That's a bit difficult, because you have for yourself to build up an opinion on modules. That's why the "homework" of reading, checking and listening at demos is so important to create for yourself a view on a module and after done all that, just buy a few modules (not too many), get experience with those modules and then you will realise that you have to adjust your own opinion on certain matters a bit, once done that you can do a kind of "second round" of checking everything, buy a few modules again, build up experience again and you will again realise that you might have changed here and there a bit your own opinion on how you are looking at modules. That's something you have to do yourself, nobody can do that for you.

To give you a few ideas (and please keep in mind that doesn't mean the rest is not good or not interesting, there is so much that it's undoable to discuss everything):

VCOs: Plaits & STO are nice ones, a simple but good one is Doepfer - A-110-1 for example or the E330 from Synthesis Technology is a nice one too. The Dixie II+ from Intellijel seems to be nice (it's on my wishlist)
EGs: Doepfer - A-140-1 ADSR, simple plain but good, especially to start with. A lovely tripple AD is the one from Hikari Instruments - Tripe AD, I love that one, Make Noise - Maths but you got that one already and also the Contour is doing well
LFOs: ALC - QLFO, Doepfer A-145-1 (I use this one a lot, straight forward but reliable in almost every patch), Erica Synths - Black Octasource if you want to go really crazy but consider this one only in your 3rd or 4th round, this requires some experience with modular synths
Filters: Doepfer - A-124 VCF 5, Wasp filter, fantastic filter, Euporie from I/O Instruments, rather new brand, I just got this filter but I think it's good, I need to further explore this one, Erica Synths - Black Dual VCF --> interesting filter with quite a few interesting options, Instruo - Tràigh filter is quite good too.
VCAs: The VCA I love most at the moment is the Waldorf - DVCA1, it's a fantastic module, Erica Synths - Black VCA is nice too, Doepfer A-130 (lin) & A-131 (log) are good too. Patching Panda - Punch lovely bitey VCA
Effects: Intellijel - Springray II, lovely spring ray effect with up to 3 tanks, Erica Synths - Black Hole DSP2 is not too bad either

For a mixer you could consider the Doepfer A-138p & 138o combination, that's chainable, so if after a while 4 channels aren't enough, just add another A-138p to it and you got yourself 8 channels :-) But it costs HP space...

This is such a small selection of so much there is outside, you really should look for yourself around. If possible have them tested at your local dealer. I have done that (testing of modules) a lot and I had to keep adjusting my opinion about certain modules.

Well that should give you some food for thought ;-) Good luck and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads