I'm doing my best to keep Audio path in the upper row and CV modules in the lower row. I intend to use the modular in a larger setup with a Squarp Pyramid and a host of other synths, so my goal was to develop a multi-voice modular, in particular with wavetable capabilities as it's the only form of synthesis that I'm missing (that I like) that could serve as a canvas to experiment and develop a foundational melody or chord progression or hook/pads/etc. and then build upon them with the other synths in the setup. However, I wanted to be sure that I could really play the modular on it's own if I wanted, hence the BitBox sampler and things like Cellz staying in the rack. Pachinko (marbles) can also serve as a Note source if I don't have a midi controller/sequencer handy.

I need another filter (or two) on top of the Freak Manifold Filter I have. I decided on the viol ruina as it could also give me some extra distortion, but it isn't exactly versatile and I haven't bought it yet. I'm a big fan of the Jove sound, but I'm also thinking about TipTop Forbidden Planet since it has multiple inputs and could be used to blend different parts quite nicely. Any thoughts?

Any other utlities/logic/wave-modulators that you might suggest? Thanks to the disting (missing in shot for some reason, sitting between Swiss Army Mixer and Sequential Switch) I can try a lot of things out, but I'm also not very good at envisioning how I could use logic processors and some other utilities in this setup. It's really the last category of modules that is still mysterious to me in terms of how they best function in a synth patch.

Anyways, comments/criticisms/complaints?

ModularGrid Rack

Using logic and related modules to alter timing is a bit of a "black art", but once you sort out what's going on, it's easy.

Boolean logic consists of a set of four very basic gate operations:

AND gates will send a gate out only when the A and B inputs have a gate present.
OR gates will send a gate out when either the A or B inputs have a gate present.
NAND gates send out a gate when neither the A and B inputs have a gate present.
NOR gates send out a gate when neither the A or B inputs have a gate present.

...and those four logic states allow you to combine timing pulses in those ways in order to arrive at a completely different pulsetrain. For example, let's say you have a single timing signal, and you split this. One split stays unchanged, but the other goes through a gate delay so that there's a bit of overlap between the original and delayed gates. To extract a wholly new timing signal from these with an AND gate, you'd just send both to the AND's inputs, and the resulting output will only occur during that little overlap window.

Pulse delays are useful with these, obviously. But also, there are supporting modules for logical operations, and one of these is the very boring-looking comparator. Comparators are gate generators that output a gate when an incoming signal's level exceeds a threshold level set on the comparator (or from an inputted DC offset used as a threshold level). This allows you to take modulation signals, such as LFOs, and use them to fire a gate when the incoming modulation signal exceeds the threshold. This allows you to extract a very different timing signal, which you can then combine with clocking via the Boolean gates. This can get REALLY INTERESTING from a generative standpoint, because getting some freerunning LFOs tends to be cheap (Doepfer's A-145-4 has four of 'em for about $85) and basic comparators are also fairly inexpensive (Blue Lantern's dual one is only $45), so with minimal money and space, you can brew up timing MAYHEM.

Another type of module is a derivator. Ladik makes one of these (the J-110), and what this does is to read the "direction" of CV signals. How this works is that, if you have the derivator patched for "rise", a gate will appear at that patchpoint when the module detects that the incoming CV is rising in voltage, and when it changes direction, the gate cuts off (but now, the "fall" gate will have a gate present). These can get really bonkers when used with random CV sources, such as a sample and hold that's sampling a noise source.

The last sort of important logic module is the "Diode OR". These aren't logic as such, but they behave like an OR gate in that whenever a gate arrives at a Diode OR input, it can then be combined with OTHER incoming gates to create a composite timing signal. They're basically a mult for trigger/gate signals, with diodes to prevent reverse voltages from affecting other modules, and sometimes are also called "Integrators" for...well, integrating pulses.

So, yeah...logic can get pretty confusional, but at the heart of it, it's simpler than most think. And by adding lots of peripheral modules such as comparators, derivators, etc etc, you can create a whole world of complex timing in not a whole lot of space!

Thanks so much for the details on logic modules. Super helpful. I decided that to really get comfortable with them, it'd probably be best to just build a couple passive logic modules based on some schematics laying around here and there. It'll give me the chance to work on fashioning a finished, rackable module from scratch AND give me more insights into the practical usage of some of these module-types.

Thanks again. You are a saint.