@Lugia - for your BSPs, do you have them all set up with USB into DAW? or do you use CV Tools clock? I am using USB currently and then have the MIDI from BSP to my Hydrasynth (which in turn clocks out to my Rackbrute 6U modules. I have used the MIDI thru to also run out to my iPad (via Korg plugKEY)...finding a bit of latency when I route through Hydrasynth as it tries to 'figure out' the bpm from BSP...I've seen a video where someone recommends counting in 1 bar first so it can 'catch up' but I'm wondering if there are any better solutions to getting accurate clock through everything. I also picked up a Roland TR-8S (USB into Ableton) and have to set about 20ms clock sync delay even though going through USB. Is it better to use straight MIDI in/out? Unfortunately the MOTU 828 doesn't do MIDI...I suppose I could use my old Focusrite 2i4 as a MIDI interface only.

Took me some time but I have everything set up so I can have BSP start/stop everything (Ext set in Ableton)...seems to work decent overall, just wondering if I should consider something else for keeping everything in sync.

JB

“two BSP’s” = 2 Arturia Beatstep Pros yes?
-- nickgreenberg

Yep. The setup I have actually makes the ergonomics work, too. I'll show you how...

There are two 8U slanted carpeted racks at the rear of this part of the "modular sandbox". One contains the B.2600. The other contains the MOTU 828 mkii, Korg SDD 3300, Zoom 9120, a quad Symetrix gate, and two 1/4" patchbays. Then on top of those is the 22sp Digisound 80, with my two MS-20 Minis on stands for a forward tilt at the very top.

First up, the KSP. It fits perfectly on this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HFDJCSL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 and that way, it's not ON the desk, it's UNDER it and I can pull that out when it's needed. Easy access to the jackfield on the back, too!

Next, the BSP stand. Since these angled racks have some "dead space" at the bottom, there's a space where there's just the shell of the case. So in front of that, I placed the BSPs on one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079CBMCJS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Looks simple, isn't expensive, and it accommodates two BSPs perfectly.

The MS-20 mini stands are these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SS9996G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Basic, generic laptop stand that tilts the synths forward to make access easier, as this thing's a bit tall.

And as for the racks, I endorse the HELL out of these: https://prospeakerparts.com/collections/rack-cases-carpet-covered-2f Direct to the customer sales, great shipping and turnaround, and these are built like the proverbial brick shithouse. They ain't no joke! Plus, when you compare the prices with similar Middle Atlantic or Raxxess/Chief models, you make out like a bandit with these guys.

Yuppers. And I should also note that these machines (in my case, a 909 and two 606es) were crazy-useful LIVE, no DAW...in the mid-1990s. The ability to send triggers to various other devices and even mess with the timing/rhythm of those in real time was very freeing. And then, of course, the bass channel of the 909 also provided a good source for the building-damaging CZ-101. I actually used that same configuration for a number of live sets in the 90s.

first patch with Arbhar, very simple but effective :)

Yep! Those XODES tile carriers are a great idea done really well. You can even get them with BOTH tile formats in one carrier! And since tiles are now appearing with deeper functionality, these should hopefully see some action.

oh yes, looks like a lot of fun! very nice patch and performance swell:)

Thanks Lugia, good to know. I hope the replacement does what it's supposed to.
-- Mazz

It probably should. This brings up the point that if something electronic is going to fail, those failures tend to happen at or within a few days of initial power-up. I recall getting a HUGE (21" monochrome) CRT monitor for my first serious machine (Mac IIcx), plugging it in to check it with the computer, then I went downstairs in the grad housing to check on laundry.

When I got back, there was this humming noise. Smelled like ozone in there, too. And the monitor was off...? No, it was NOT off, and when I looked through the grille on the case, I could see various sparks popping around. Immediately unplugged its power, then disconnected it from the Mac. But that happened within the first hour of power-up, necessitated an immediate replacement.

dope patch! really love the detuning...will check your channel right now:)

Hi Garfield,
thanks a lot! cassette recorders are really great to fill a patch with some nice textures sometimes:)

Always love a good experimental use of the Amen break! Thanks for sharing.

this user has left ModularGrid

Thanks Garfield,

Squid Salmple is fun and really awesome groove box with filters and lots of sound shaping features. I am still trying to figure out how to sample external audio to it. May need to open support ticket with ALM to get that resolved just like sampling external audio was a pain on the Morphagene until I got it right.

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad to know there are good options that won't involve buying loads more modules!

If there was a Keystep Pro 49 or 61 key that would be a great fit for my setup... the longer Keylabs look like a departure from the CV oriented Keysteps. No tight fit solution yet : (

Thanks for the kind words Garfield :)

Nyx (one of our cats) loves a bit of Modular!

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Hi 0xc43d35 or 192-61-53,

From which planet are you? ;-)

He, he, this is a great experimental jam. I love those almost kind of bird sounds further at 2:00+, nicely done :-)

Great to see you at work in this video and thanks a lot for sharing this with us. Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Shanewave,

That has been awhile ago that we have heard from you a demo/jam :-) Great work you are showing us here in this video.

I hope to hearing from you soon again and thanks a lot for sharing this with us. Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Sacguy71,

He, he, a nice industrial and experimental jam from your modular "kitchen" :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this demo jam with us and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Oh, at about 1:17 onwards this jam gives me goose bumps, nice high tension and great sounds!

Ha, ha, your cat is back too, inspecting your patch! :-)

Overall a nice relaxing ambient kind of jam, perfect for ending this great weekend, thanks to you! Kind regards, Garfield.

sliced amens on morphagene organized with mucorder (cvlization) enriched with some randomness from pamela.. morphagenes' env follower patched to maths for an eoc trigger to another env, which changes mother pattern on zularic repetitor.. zularic childs are patched to plaits (snare), manis (kick), 100 grit (beep).. branches mixes a static clock to play morphagene and opening 100 grit / plaits with another env.. bass line comes from melodicer + befaco even + fold 6.. beads spicing things up with some grains

@nickgreenberg = Keystep :)
@farkas = Laptopstand :)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Fx aid is in lofi junky mode, with its cv input fed with random from marbles

Had fun last nite getting experimental with my new ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe system

This is really such a well thought out little modular system with all the bits and pieces one would need like clock, sequencer, envelopes, attenuators, mults and so forth in a portable format.

Thanks Garfield and Lugia,

Yeah the 4ms VCAMatrix is super fun and useful. The smaller knobs are a little tricky to manage if you do a lot of patch modulation in the main matrix but the cool mute buttons work well. Great module and having 16 VCAs that can be patched and modulated is a real powerhouse. I like this and the new Livestock Electronics Maze in my other case quite a bit to do fade in/out, transitions, mute duty and other useful tasks in a larger modular system.

Thank you for all your input, guys! I decided to go for a Marbles clone.

Regarding the 0-coast and 0-ctrl, they are actually outside the case, like the SQ-1. I just added an extra row to include them, as they’re all integral to my workflow.

Regarding the many power sources, the rack is actually made up of five separate racks. One Rackbrute 6u, one Rackbrute 3u, one three tier Moog rack with the DFAM in its own case in the bottom tier. But the general layout is as you see it here on Modulargrid. The 3-tier Moog rack is the right side of the rack above (DFAM and above). Sorry for not making this clear.

I would love some creative feedback on workflow/ergonomics, Lugia. I’d be happy if you were to give it a go at restructuring it.

:)

Noise from the Mutable Instruments Kinks is fed into the Veils VCA and set fairly low, this goes through the ADDAC103 T-Networks which is used as a filter, this can produce a sort of random static or crackle, this then goes into a Ladik E-510 Envelope Follower which picks out Gates, Triggers and a Decay envelope which are all used to control other things. The Only regularly clocked things from Pamela's New Workout are the Repeats are clocked on the Make Noise Mimeophon and then i bring in a bit of clocked rhythm later on.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

The Arturia controllers are tailor-made for this environment, very powerful, and relatively cheap. When I was getting started, I considered a Keystep/Beatstep Pro setup much like Lugia's, but I have very little desk space and needed some other outboard gear in that space. Otherwise, I probably would have been perfectly happy with a similar setup.

Short answer: I totally agree with @Lugia. Many other connoisseurs (including modular dealers...) have the same view.

Longer answer: my own and personal strategy, from the beginning, was little or no modules dedicated to drums. First, I was already well equipped (old TR-707, DrumBrute Impact, ADX-1, Volca Drum, Volca Sample, and now a brand new RD-6 :)
And by selecting for my modular Nebulae which incorporates a one-shot polyphonic sample player (within its alternate instruments), Disting mk4, Rings (great percs module too), and last but not least BIA, I was ready to achieve a whole bunch of drum sounds. Plus, more recently, I even added Plaits, LIP, and One. I think I'm a spoiled modularist, right?

However, I must admit that I am tempted today to conclude with two small 2hp modules: Kick and Hat only. Just for some modular techno sessions.

There is no conclusion here that is suitable for everyone.
I just wanted a modular instrument that was quite sound design (and random or stochastic) oriented.
It's all a matter of artistic direction and budget.

But I remain firmly convinced that a 808 or a 909, a Mini Pops or an Oberheim DMX, belong to a different animal species. They are like birds; you have to leave them alone, and not put them in sort of cages/cases :))

The Eurorack 1U landscape is developing at the moment. Convenient for travel. I'm starting to think about a standalone setup only based on this format.

Endorphin.es is coming. Mosaic, and Intellijel of course, have a great offer. Etc. And Xodes (XO) has created a series of format changers. They allow using 1U modules in a 3U case by creating 1U rows. Perfect for combining with some Picos or 2hps, for example.

Thanks Lugia, good to know. I hope the replacement does what it's supposed to.

I will confess I’ve never yet looked critically at external hardware controllers to connect with modular. I got into modular years after most of my other studio investments.

My main studio/modular rig has NI Komplet Kontrol S88mkII keyboard to my DAW, with a Roli Seaboard49 less used (but I’m wanting to use it more esp MPE). I figured any MIDI/CV from this setup would be via the computer (not the controller outs), SO I haven’t looked seriously at best external controlers interfacing directly with modular (eg bypassing the computer).

My travel modular I use alone or alongside other small things like a Roland Jupiter XM. The JXM I could do as Farkas suggests, ARP out…

Sounds like the Arturia lineup is worth consideration, if I don’t already have something close enough to that.

And the general theme above I’m taking as “handle as much of the note instructions as possible outside of modular” eg it’s more efficiently done in something like an Arturia controller or DAW…

Thanks for the ideas guys!!

“two BSP’s” = 2 Arturia Beatstep Pros yes?

Yeah, this is kind of a case of making it more difficult than it needs to be.

It’s an Intellijel 1u format

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/stem-modular-quad-comparator

Where have you been all my life!?

Wondering what's up with that? OK, here's why...

Comparators are devices that output a gate for as long as an incoming signal is above a given threshold. But WINDOW comparators have TWO thresholds...one lower, one higher, and you can set gate/trigs to fire above, IN the "window" formed by the high and low thresholds, and below that. And even better, this contains summing for both input and output, so if you want to fire several gates off of one signal, it's easy with this thing. For those who use a lot of LFO/envelope signals plus a Boolean module, this thing has your name written all over it! Let the crazy logic timing commence!!!

I'm still of the opinion that drums don't belong in these sizes of builds. For one thing, emulating the voicing of a classic machine such as a TR-909 costs an arm and a leg. But if you don't have a full percussion module complement, then the drums just sound sort of random.

OTOH, present-day standalone drum machines are sufficiently sophisticated that they can replicate much of the functionality you'd find in a modular built that costs a few THOUSAND more. And you can get these with extra trigger/gate outs for firing off other events...which IS where you might want some accent percussion in a module or two. Plus, some have individual outs...with which you can separate and process each percussive separately.

Hi Sacguy71,

Thanks a lot for another great video demo, this time the 4ms - VCA Matrix module. I heard of it but your demo emphasis it in a way that it makes me feel interested in it! :-)

How are the knobs, aren't they not too small or is it doable?

Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Anubiz,

That's a nice track, sounds a bit like Genesis/Phil Collins to me, or is it? :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

I use and swear by this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeystepPro--arturia-keystep-pro-37-key-controller-and-sequencer Involves NO modules, which opens up more potential space. I also have two BSPs that can be locked up to that, and then I can also lock those to the DAW either with CV Tools or sending a MIDI clock. So, nah...you don't need those modules for this purpose.

But no worries as I can always use this 1u stereo out module on my 14u MDLR case that has 1u tile row as well :-)

-- sacguy71

But is it Intellijel-format on that tile row, or Pulplogic's original standard? If it's the latter, that Intellijel Out won't fit. Best to leave it in the Palette, as it's the "control" over the levels being sent to an output 1/4" pair.

Definitely a good demo of what a matrix mixer...even a simple one...can do. I like 'em on modulation, which makes it possible to have several composite mod signals from a minimum of modules. My AE system even has one!

Hi Sacguy71,

I only see a big question mark, looks like you used a wrong link, might that be?

Wow, an Endorphin.es Shuttle System, nice! :-) Can't wait for your demo video about that one :-D Kind regards, Garfield.

actual link to rack

ModularGrid Rack

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hello everyone - hope you are all well and staying safe,

So, I use 2 cases together (an 84hp and a 104hp). I never use them independently and don't want to buy another case to combine the 2 so I'm just sticking to that for now. I plan on eventually getting a 104 HP/7u Intellijel case but that's not anytime soon.

Looking for ANY general advice on my current set-up (I don't know anyone who knows about synthesis IRL so I just want someone to look at what I've put together! The modular community is absolutely dope. A real wholesome bunch!).

Looking for more specific advice on the drum portion:
I was thinking of getting rid of Pico Drum and the 2hp VCA/Verb leaving 7hp for a different drum voice - but it would be hard to replace 2 voices from Pico Drum and I'd be losing the 2hp modules. Might not be worth it. I could get rid of the Pico Mix too and have 10HP for something like Noise Engineering's BIA or another TipTop ONE and a 2nd Plaits in the form of the 6HP knit (those small pots make it hard to tune but it may be a good sacrifice since I already have a full sized Plaits.) That would give me 2 solid drum voices but would lose the Mixer/VCA/Verb.

Thanks for reading!

PS the module has to have CV over pitch.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1752179.jpg

psychicbriars.bandcamp.com

Easiest option is a keyboard with an arpeggiator into your MIDI to CV module. I use the arpeggiator on the Sequential Prophet Rev2 into an ALM Mmmidi, but a Keystep and any MIDI to CV converter would work. A second option is to run an arpeggiating sequencer into a precision adder along with your MIDI to CV signal from your keyboard to transpose the sequence, but you are still going to have to adjust your arpeggios (up/down/random) in the sequencer. Voltage Block or Arpitecht might be worth looking into for arp modules.

Hi folks!

Let's say I want to:
1) play chords (of 3-5 simultaneous tones) on a MIDI controller
2) route that MIDI (or other usable format of chord/pitch information) into Eurorack modular
3) distribute that pitch information via Arpeggiator to a single Eurorack voice
4) have creative (preferable real time) control over the Arp up/down and time values

The output/result would be a chord sequence, arpeggiated through modular, with real-time control of chord pitches plus some control of the arp pattern.

How would you suggest doing this?

I already have a bunch of modular gear, but above is a new "I'd like to do X" idea, and I'm rather scratching my head how to do it. Notably, I have 512 Vector Sequencer and I'm thinking sending MIDI into that might be a good option.

Thanks for your ideas / suggestions!

Nicholas

So here is my update. Removed the Ladik dual delay since none in stock for sale now and have the 1u Endorphin.es Milky Way and Goldenmaster 1u EQ/compression for FX and also effects on my other portable units to use and my Bluebox mixer.

ModularGrid Rack

I did order the Apex 1u module directly from Plum Audio as no stores had it in stock. Should be fun times. But stupid me you don't need the 1u stereo out module as Palette case can connect directly to jacks on the case itself!

Palette Case
If you own an Intellijel Palette case, you can connect the Stereo
Line Out 1U module directly to a built-in pair of ¼” jacks, rather
than purchasing a Stereo Out Jacks 1U.

https://intellijel.com/downloads/manuals/stereo-line-out-1u_manual_2021.08.16.pdf

But no worries as I can always use this 1u stereo out module on my 14u MDLR case that has 1u tile row as well :-)

Now I did also add a filter and small voice module to complement the Queen of Pentacles and so it can be either stand alone portable jam box or support my Endorphin.es Shuttle System and other modular systems. Added a WMD attenuator and Befaco STMix as well as a 1u dual VCA module. So I think that for now I have the key bases covered.

ModularGrid Rack

€339 for a tip top case gets you the bigger case others are recommending. With the modules represented in the above rack that are the same as what is in the mylarmelodies video, you could probably get all that for about 2k if not less if you are prepared to wait and buy second hand. Its around the 2.5k mark you mentioned in your original post if you want to buy new.

I get what the other commentators are saying as both the people in the YouTube clips have much larger systems they are using in their normal day to day. That being said I still stand my point that its possible to build a nice groove box in a small pallet case, the proof is in the videos. The music might not be to the taste of others but for a techno groove, a drum, clap, percussion noises, bass and chord was achieved in the mylar melodies videos and it sounded great. There was plenty of variety too.

I would buy bigger modules than these though if I had the additional space available to me. I think I might put together an equivalent rack in a slightly bigger build with modules I already have to see how much it would cost :)

You will enjoy Eurorack, I was all digital too but if you have 2.5k to play with, its great fun :) and if you don't like you can get most of your money back easily especially if you invest in modules that are made by the more famous brands.

I was just messing around with Makrow again and was having fun running a few of its outputs to the exp fm inputs of a few oscillators to quickly switch from unison to chords. It sounded really cool after I got it dialed in.
-- farkas
Nice

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Found how great matrix mixers were using the 4ms VCA Matrix for some jam session this week

I was just messing around with Makrow again and was having fun running a few of its outputs to the exp fm inputs of a few oscillators to quickly switch from unison to chords. It sounded really cool after I got it dialed in.