So they're not going to keep going with the 100 modules? That's a damn shame, since they finally got those to play nice in Eurorack, and some of those 100 modules would pair really nicely with the 200 modules. Someone should poke Buchla USA over this, or maybe they could farm those out to Tiptop or someone else...?

That Ciao! should be just fine, compressor or not. Since they're planning to go direct from the Ciao's outs to the A/D, it would probably be better to apply a VST to the incoming signal in the DAW itself. That way, it's possible to futz around with compressor topologies, which may be necessary for different patches. For example, with sounds that tend toward percussives, you'd want to do some basic compression to mash that a bit and keep the peaks under control, but if you're wanting to slam the hell out of a source, then using a VST clone of an 1176 with the "four-button trick" would be perfect.

As for using TRS 1/4" to 3.5mm, that's a decent plan, but MAKE SURE not to try and do this with 3.5mm - 3.5mm TRS cables because, invariably, they'll get in with the rest of your patchcords and then when you NEED them, well... But at a pinch, you could use unbalanced TS cables, but that's sort of a kludge with certain drawbacks of its own. But as for the headphone-to-modular preamp idea...don't. Headphone signals are hotter than line-level, which is what the Ladik's expecting. A better idea for getting the Hydra in with other signals would be to run a small stereo mixer, connect all of the toys you want to run through the modular on that, then send the mixer's out to the Ladik inputs. Convenient and simple!

Poked at it, opted to go ahead and come up with a filled cab that used your initial module selection. The only thing that didn't make the cut was the output module, and you'll see how that got fixed in a bit. Here's the build:
ModularGrid Rack
This was a little tricky when I was trying to make a single voicing section work...because it didn't seem suitable. Instead, there's TWO paths in the voicing section, one for the Salmple and one for the Plaits'. Here's how it works...

Top row: Konstant Labs PWRchekr to keep an eye on your DC rails. Then there's a buffered mult, because this thing actually has up to SIX pitch CV destinations, and I didn't want to risk voltage sag. I put a manual stereo mixer after this to sum the separate track outputs down to a stereo pair. After that, TWO Plaits...because while one oscillator is good, two is BETTER. With that, you can do a bunch of detunings and make the Plaits sound huge, or use one as a "voice" and the other as an audio rate FM source, which the other Plaits can have a field day with. Then a Joranalogue wavefolder...which you'll note has dual inputs, so if you wanted to smash the audio from both Plaits at the same time to create something REALLY out there, you can. Veils is next...now, here's where it gets fun.

As I noted before, this has TWO voicing paths, and here's what controls BOTH. You would send the stereo mixer's out to a pair of the VCAs for stereo control, and patch those directly to the stereo Overseer VCF's inputs. Then the last two VCAs are for mixing the Plaits...for that, you'd use two VCA inputs, but only patch to the LAST VCA in that set. So if you have the Salmple on VCAs 1 and 2, then you'd patch those VCAs individually from the Veils' mixbus. But for the two Plaits inputs, you'd use VCAs 3 and 4, but only patch up output 4 so that VCAs 3 and 4 now act as a VC mixer to sum the Plaits down to mono. Pretty cool, pretty neat!

Anyway, the Overseer is a stereo VCF, specifically there for properly filtering the Salmple's post-VCA outs. Should work fantastically with the stereo signal coming off of the Veils. And the Forbidden Planet stays, because that's your "lead line" VCF; the Steiner Synthacon VCF has a rep for being extremely "out front", something I know first-hand! That gets fed by the summed Plaits output. After that, you'll see a Happy Nerding FX Aid XL, a really capable FX-1-based stereo processor, which can be used in a number of ways, then the stereo mixer at the end is a 4ms ListenFour 1/4. Remember what I said about the Intellijel output module? This mixer HAS the 1/4" outs and a headphone preamp built-in, in addition to having two pannable channels and two stereo paired channels (usable in mono by patching only the left input).

Bottom row: FH-2, Pam's, then an unbuffered mult for gate/trig signals that need splitting for, say, the Salmple, or aspects of the Marbles, and so on. After that, there's a Tesseract VC Logics, which gives you two channels of Boolean logic with CV over gate type on each. By using this with some "contrary" gate sources (via the Pam's, for example), you can arrive at even MORE different gate patterns from just two Pam's channels on each logic gate. Mimey Digits are next (yes, I routinely rip on NE for these schoolboy Latin names), but since it has no internal quantization, I dropped in a quad UNgated chromatic quantizer to deal with that AND to provide even more scalar tesselation CV results from things such as LFOs or EGs when you send those through the quantizer.

After that, an SSF Tool Box, because...SSF Tool Box. One of the best multi-utility modules, jams a buttload of functionality into a mere 6 hp. Then, there's your LFOs courtesy of a Batumi/Poti pair. Marbles follows this, and it now has a host of things to gnaw on for random results. After that is a great pairing: Happy Nerding's 3xVCA + Frap's 321. These are for tampering with your modulation behavior, as the VCAs can control level over modulation since they're DC-coupled linear VCAs -- unlike the Veils, on which you can change the VCA topology in a continuum between linear and exponential. And the Frap is a tiny minimatrix mixer coupled with a few other CV/mod tricks. And lastly, envelopes courtesy of a Quadrax/Qx combo; these can ALSO serve as looping envelopes (ie: LFO with CV over rise and fall, rather Maths-ish). The Qx, also, allows you to implement cascading between the four AR EGs in the Quadrax, or can also be used to trigger other events elsewhere on End Of Rise or End of Fall of any of the EGs.

Yeah, this is much farther along than the original build, but it's here also as a way to see how you can exploit the various aspects of the modules that were there by adding other complementary modules. Plus, take note of the multiple capabilities that many of the modules have; in a small build like this, you NEED to think multifunctionally so that you get your functionality optimized. Using multi-function modules like the ones all over the place in this version is KEY to making a smaller build work by making the space for a single-function module work for a LOT of things besides the desired module function. Not necessarily saying to run out and grab the whole thing at one time (unless, of course, you work like that and have the requisite dumpster full of money to allow that), but this is more to show how to really blow the lid off of a build from just a handful of starting modules. Still, if you DID opt to grab it all at once, you'd have a helluva modular in your hands!

We've even got these in the AE environment, thanks to a 3rd party builder in the UK. 3 x 3 matrix, 2 spaces, and like most all AE things, it's stoopid-cheap. Mine's mounted in the "control" cab (a single row, 20 space case...the rest of mine are dual row, 20 sp) alongside the joystick, since I tend to view matrix mixers as controllers. Nothing like using a couple of knobs to alter the behavior of an entire global patch!

Thread: First Try

Well, I'm not going to tell you to waste money on a Mantis cab. I'm going to tell you to get one because it WON'T BE a waste of money, as opposed to building a 1-row system that lacks space for proper functionality unless you do it all in 2-4 hp modules...at which point the build will be unplayable unless you've got toothpicks for fingers. I know people see these all the time on YouTube and think that "hey...I can do that too!"...and the simple fact is that the people doing those clips have been working with modular for a long time and while THEY can set up a workable build in some tiny cases, those builds tend to be "mission-specific" for a certain piece or specific gigs. They almost never result in a good, all-around system...which is what the goal SHOULD be.

Or a far better idea might be for you to snag a B.2600. Don't worry, NOBODY likes Uli Behringer, so don't feel guilty. Fact is, the ARP 2600 was and still IS one of the best teaching synths in existence, period, full-stop! It also comes in at $600-ish, while your build above is considerably higher in cost. No, it won't be a waste of money either, as that 2600 plays just fine with Eurorack, and once you get some modular experience with it, you can use it as a "core" device in a larger Eurorack setup. And thanks to Behringer's slavish replication of the original, their 2600 acts and sounds just right...and this is coming from someone who first used an ARP 2600 back in 1980. Tack on a basic sequencer like the Korg SQ-1, and you're golden!

Won't work. The Beast's Chalkboard is simply a DC offset generator coupled with an adder, with the offset adjustable only in 1V steps. It doesn't accept audio as such, although there might still be some "abuse potential" there inasmuch as you'll be shifting audio, but at the same time you'll run into the issues associated with having DC in your audio path, which you DO NOT WANT because...well:

Now, what you REALLY want here if you want waveform mangling AND suboctaves...that would be something like Tiptop's Fold processor, which does both admirably. Split your E352's audio out for the "clean" line and the "dirty", then use the Fold on the latter. This gets even MORE fun because you have separate outputs for the wavefolder and octave divider (which ALSO offers levels per suboctave!), meaning you can have THREE potential outputs from the E352 with different "flavors". Oh, and the Fold will also take two inputs and "mix" them through its circuits, sometime with really amazing results. Useful thing, really.

Ahhhh...I see the problem here. Xaoc seems to use that higher voltage figure for pitch because they're anticipating people using offset generators. For example, let's say you add an octave controller such as ALM's Beast's Chalkboard. What that is is a dual DC offset source with an internal precision adder, and each time you change octaves on the device downstream from it, you're changing the offset by 1V values per octave. So if you were at the top end of your keyboard controller and you still wanted to go up another octave, the Odessa will be able to make sense of that.

It's easy enough...grab a blank, cut up some white melamine and glue it to the blank, then use dry-erase markers. Pretty much the same sort of thing lives just above the faders on my desk, and yeah, it IS useful.

Definitely go with that higher amperage "brick". That'll push the uZeus up to 2000mA on the +12 rail.

The problem you're running into is "inrush loading". When you switch on any electronic device, there's always some sort of higher load for the first few milliseconds, and that can pop the supply if you've gotten the current spec too close to the quoted operating tolerances. To avoid this, don't let each summed current value on the build's DC rails exceed 3/4ths of the stated P/S's maximum current per rail. This is actually a pretty common rule of thumb with modulars, tbh.

As for consumption specs, the reason you don't see this inrush figure is that sometimes it's an important factor, and sometimes not. As you've noticed, yep, digital modules are notorious for inrush issues. With simple analog modules, not so much. So everyone pretty much agrees that the "normal load" current figure is the correct thing to cite, and you just keep that "3/4ths rule" and the total current per rail in mind during the build process as that ceiling can vary from module to module and P/S to P/S.

You're welcome! There aren't stock issues with the Salmple like there are with many modules, it seems, but if you give in to temptation, I'm sure it won't be a disaster, and will probably be a lot of fun.

I think you'll especially dig that SCLPL in this sort of build. Since it's stereo, just send the SSM VCFs on to its left and right, and you'll have timbral morphing tricks for days while still maintaining that creamy SSM sound. My Kawai K3 uses those, so I know full-well how someone can get hooked on that particular sound.

Thread: 3.5mm MIDI.

http://www.gweep.net/~prefect/eng/reference/protocol/midispec.html

It's actually a bit more like what we have in ham radio with packet radio...digital bursts as specific "packets" with distinct destinations, other SYSEX data, and the note on/off/# that comprises most of it. And m00dawg's quite right about the optoisolators...they do a good job of compensating for voltage changes so that most any signal still gets converted back to a digital stream on "wire". And if you do something like, say, plugging the MIDI into a synth and a power outlet (not sure HOW, but I'm sure someone's tried), it'll blow the opto to kingdom come, but everything else stays more or less safe.

Pam's is the one module in your proposed setup that I have direct experience with, and I highly recommend it. When I said it was maxed out, I meant "EVEN Pam's is pushed to the limit here". I think it should be in your first purchase, more so than the filter (I have two, but for me they don't loom as large in modular as they do with Elektron boxes). It will help you to figure out what more boring modules you will want to complement the exciting ones.
-- plragde

That's good to know! I wanted to include it over the filter but thought it might not make sense with so little modules, but you've just convinced me to grab one alongside the Plaits! I think I will get those 2 modules first and go from there. Thanks so much for your help too, it's been great so much appreciated. They do have the Salmple in stock at my local dealer, so I'm very tempted by this too haha.

One of my favorite 60HP 6U modular cases to play. It's no lie that the Buchla 158 oscillators are one of the best sounding oscillators ever made. Wish Buchla had continued the line and expanded it on it to at least 15 modules but oh well it is what it is. To aid for some missing modules I have taken what I feel are essential parts for the system and added them on the sides as 4 2HP modules ( Low Pass Gate, Multi Mode Filter, LFO, and Reverb) thus allowing the front face to remain uniformly white. All my other modules the Doepfer Random Source, 2HP CLK and Tokyo Tape Music Center 185 Phase Shifter have been refaced in white. The whole unite looks like a lab unit from back in 1963. :) I love old equipment. Hope to have a video for this beauty soon. :) If you can, snatch some of those modules before they are gone. They are beautiful. I can take this to a desert island.

Pam's is the one module in your proposed setup that I have direct experience with, and I highly recommend it. When I said it was maxed out, I meant "EVEN Pam's is pushed to the limit here". I think it should be in your first purchase, more so than the filter (I have two, but for me they don't loom as large in modular as they do with Elektron boxes). It will help you to figure out what more boring modules you will want to complement the exciting ones.

The Salmple might be overkill if you don't want to record on the fly, for example.
-- plragde

This is very true. If anything this would be the module that I could forego in this initial setup. The caveat being I wouldn't be able to utilise samples/drums when using the rack standalone. I don't think I'd want to sample on the fly, but I'm not entirely sure yet.

In the video thumbnail, one can see that the Pam's is pretty much maxed out. Adding modulation sources and ways of transforming and combining them might be something to consider.
-- plragde

Maths would be the next module I'd buy with this setup. I suppose I could even replace the Salmple with the Maths first. I'll have a think about it and do a bit more research. I think as a start, I'd definitely get Plaits, Digitalis and Forbidden Planet and maybe go slowly from there?

ModularGrid Rack

Took a little while but this is what I think it’s going to look like after taking Lugia’s suggestions into consideration. It doesn’t have every base covered but I think enough for right now. Expansion is certainly in the cards as I’d like to explore some things I don’t have in here, like logic, more random, in rack sequencing, and more sound sources.

Thanks for the input!

however from what I've seen, those modules seem to be the only ones the guy was using. In his later videos you can actually see him expanding his rack, so I doubt he has a bigger collection stored elsewhere - that's why I made the exception that maybe I could imitate this system while starting as it looks like he can do so much already with those limited modules, which would probably keep me busy for a long time while figuring out what else to add down the line.
-- charliechunk

They are fine modules and you can get good sounds out of them. There are many more small racks out there copied off Ricky Tinez videos. But as for their possible bigger collection: the first YouTube video was posted in June 2020. In October 2020, there's a promo for a Bandcamp album release, which pans over a much larger setup. And, looking on Bandcamp, their first modular album release was January 2020.

For my first 6u x 104hp, I chose not to put in a sampler, granular processor, or any percussion-specific module (I have a Digitakt, Digitone, A4, Model:Cycles). A sampler is not necessarily overkill, but you should think about how you are going to use it, because there are a number of alternatives. The Salmple might be overkill if you don't want to record on the fly, for example.

In the video thumbnail, one can see that the Pam's is pretty much maxed out. Adding modulation sources and ways of transforming and combining them might be something to consider.

WiggleHunt is a pretty good service, but as it's largely (entirely?) automated, it has its weaknesses. It won't show shipping costs for Reverb listings, and these can be prohibitive across oceans. On the flip side, it will sometimes include VAT when out-of-country orders don't have to pay it. These are understandable, as it's not asking for the location of the person querying, and it would be hard to take that into account anyway. Sometimes it shows new listings when the fine print on the seller's page says "out of stock" or "on back order". That's the case with what it shows for Veils 2020 right now.
-- plragde

I'm based in Australia so it's a challenge already trying to buy modules locally. Funnily enough though one of our eurorack stockists has most, if not all the modules in stock, with only a few on pre-order (Marbles, Plaits, Veils, Intellijel Outs).

They have the Salmple, Digitalis, Forbidden Planet and PNW in stock and there's one Plaits left for sale on Juno, so I'm tempted to grab these while I can and worry about the rest later.

I did have another question re the Squid Salmple and Digitakt. Is it overkill to have a eurorack sampler while I've got a Digitakt? I figured it couldn't hurt too much seeing as I would like to use the rack as a standalone unit, but also paired with the Digitakt, but feel free to correct me here.

Also for anyone that's interested, I have added my "wishlist" modules to the next row (based on a TipTop Mantis case):

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1709515.jpg

My plan is to start with the top row of modules and then slowly start to expand with the bottom row as I get more comfortable with everything.

Just to clarify, my main goals with this is to make and jam 4/4 deep house/minimal styles (like the videos), but also to experiment with ambient textures, new age/downtempo and generative soundscapes - think"wellness centre" ambient music.

WiggleHunt is a pretty good service, but as it's largely (entirely?) automated, it has its weaknesses. It won't show shipping costs for Reverb listings, and these can be prohibitive across oceans. On the flip side, it will sometimes include VAT when out-of-country orders don't have to pay it. These are understandable, as it's not asking for the location of the person querying, and it would be hard to take that into account anyway. Sometimes it shows new listings when the fine print on the seller's page says "out of stock" or "on back order". That's the case with what it shows for Veils 2020 right now.

Thanks for all the insightful replies so far, I appreciate it! I'll respond to some of your points below:

The FH2 is probably an overkill unless you plan on hooking this system up directly to a computer. You could save a lot by using a simpler interface.
-- Ronin1973

What would you suggest as an alternative? I was originally looking at the Intellijel uMidi. Would it be better to just get that instead? I guess the idea would be to use the both rack standalone and also sequenced by the DT/DN.

I'd add a micro Ornament & Crime unit to this (8HP). It has a quad quantizer mode that makes getting really nice, in tune notes out of the Mimetic. O&C has other functions as well, so it'll be very handy.
-- Ronin1973

Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen this mentioned quite a bit so will do some research into this.

Your rack has no LFOs, no dedicated envelope generators, no utility mixers, no basic utilities (like attenuverters, noise). You'll find the boring utilities are the glue that really holds your modular system together.
-- Ronin1973

My next module would probably be Maths, but figured I could get away with it as the 0-Coast has half of one. Alternatively, what utilities would you recommend to start off with in a small system like the one I've proposed? Something like MI Links perhaps?

Also a small multi-effects unit can make a real difference. You may want to try an Expert Sleepers Disting EX if there's room. It's a Swiss Army Knife of functionality and will help you explore the possibilities of modular synths.
-- Ronin1973

Again, another module I've seen recommended a tonne. I've heard there's a lot of menu diving and programming though, which I'd prefer to avoid. Would something like an FX Aid XL or an Erica Synths Dual FX work instead for more hands on control instead?

I'd look to the sinfonion - then you can do chords too!!!
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't seen this before but will check it out! Someone else also recommended a Qu-Bit Chords so will check them out for sure.

modular synthesizers that don't have utilities end up unloved in cupboards or for sale once the user gets bored of them
-- JimHowell1970

Seems like this is a common piece of advice thrown around. See my above response to Ronin re utilities.

also consider the happy nerding fx aid (xl) if you want a lot of variety
-- JimHowell1970

I think I prefer the FX Aid XL as it seems to be no menu diving or programming compared to the Disting. Will do more research into it.

The Digitakt and Digitone can output DIN Sync, so you just need the $10 cable from ALM to get clock/run into PNW. If you want to sequence your modular from the Elektron boxes, you'll need MIDI to CV (the 0-coast has some capability, though it is a nuisance to use). If you want to go the other way (say, to get Euclidean rhythms driving the Digitakt), you'll want something with CV->MIDI capabilities, for which there are fewer options (but some exist).
-- plragde

Good to know, I didn't really think of those other use cases. I think for now I'd like to use the rack both as a standalone unit but also sequenced via the DT. Would definitely like to explore Euclidean rhythms driving the Digitakt down the line though, so will have a look into this in the future.

I don't think you should base your rack on a video made by someone for whom this is just a fraction of their collection.
-- plragde

I totally agree with these comments, however from what I've seen, those modules seem to be the only ones the guy was using. In his later videos you can actually see him expanding his rack, so I doubt he has a bigger collection stored elsewhere - that's why I made the exception that maybe I could imitate this system while starting as it looks like he can do so much already with those limited modules, which would probably keep me busy for a long time while figuring out what else to add down the line.

If you simply want sync, you can get the MIDI expander for Pam's New Workout.
-- Ronin1973

The Digitakt and Digitone can output DIN Sync, so you just need the $10 cable from ALM to get clock/run into PNW. If you want to sequence your modular from the Elektron boxes, you'll need MIDI to CV (the 0-coast has some capability, though it is a nuisance to use). If you want to go the other way (say, to get Euclidean rhythms driving the Digitakt), you'll want something with CV->MIDI capabilities, for which there are fewer options (but some exist).

befaco cv thing is a good example of this type of module

I'm pretty new to this, but I don't think you should base your rack on a video made by someone for whom this is just a fraction of their collection.

this is really good advice - at least some, if not all, of the youtubers who demo tiny systems are pulling modules out of much larger racks specifically for demo purposes

Also consider availability of modules. I don't know where to get the Veils 2020 at this point in time. Since your 0-coast is already on the way, I say give that a month while you learn how to use it by itself and with what you have. I bet that changes your mind on some things.

-- plragde

how to find modules (not all dealers are on there, but a lot are):
https://wigglehunt.com/?query=veils&condition=&stock_status=in_&price_min=0&price_max=5000¤cy_code=150&sort=price

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

-- Ronin1973

I'm pretty new to this, but I don't think you should base your rack on a video made by someone for whom this is just a fraction of their collection. Also consider availability of modules. I don't know where to get the Veils 2020 at this point in time. Since your 0-coast is already on the way, I say give that a month while you learn how to use it by itself and with what you have. I bet that changes your mind on some things.

use 2 mono 1/4" - 3/5mm cables L->L/R->R this will give you stereo

stereo cables are only used when a single output and input specifically state stereo

pro gear does not do this

most eurorack is pro gear

I'd also try bypassing the ciao! unless you have a compelling reason to use it - does it have a compressor in it? i can't remember

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I use a kick on an audio channel to sync from DAW - much better timing as audio is much higher priority in computer OSs

O&C has other functions as well, so it'll be very handy.

but can only do 1 or 2 things at a time - if you need that many quantizer channels I'd look to the sinfonion - then you can do chords too!!!

Your rack has no LFOs, no dedicated envelope generators, no utility mixers, no basic utilities (like attenuverters, noise). You'll find the boring utilities are the glue that really holds your modular system together.

modular synthesizers that don't have utilities end up unloved in cupboards or for sale once the user gets bored of them

Also a small multi-effects unit can make a real difference. You may want to try an Expert Sleepers Disting EX if there's room. It's a Swiss Army Knife of functionality and will help you explore the possibilities of modular synths.

-- Ronin1973

Distings are great - also consider the happy nerding fx aid (xl) if you want a lot of variety

I'd add a micro Ornament & Crime unit to this (8HP).
-- Ronin1973

Love my ALA O_C https://www.modulargrid.net/e/after-later-audio-uo-c-black-gold-panel

JB

My setup includes a Rackbrute 6U with a Bastl Ciao! as my output which I run to a MOTU 828. To date I've been just running mono from it but looking now to use both L & R channels for stereo out into MOTU 828 into Ableton Live. The Ciao! says it has "balanced" 1/4 outputs...to run stereo to Ableton, would I just use a pair of unbalanced 1/4 - 1/4 (they have a red stripe on one cable and a black stripe on the other) connected into two inputs on the MOTU 828 (channels 7&8) and then each channel then has its own track in Ableton?

I also have the L(mono) and R 1/4 outputs from my Hydrasynth...seems like I would use the same type of cables from Hydrasynth to MOTU 828 (channels 5&6).

I had been using 1/4" - 3/5mm from my Hydrasynth to Ladik A-520 preamp and then into stereo mixer in on my Cosmotronic Cosmix and then main stereo out to the Ciao! but only out from L(mono) of Ciao! into one channel of my MOTU 828...so missing out on any stereo signal from Hydrasynth.

Think I want to go L/R directly out from Hydrasynth into MOTU 828...but will use a 1/4" - 3.5mm from the headphone output into the Ladik preamp to process that signal in the modular (because I can...I think).

So, for a stereo signal, I use mono cables to L/R? Is a stereo cable only used when there is a single output labeled stereo? Do each of my L/R cables need to be stereo to get 'stereo'?

JB

this user has left ModularGrid

Cool yeah the ones with great CV control lend best results for me. Also looking at the new Noise Engineering Vice Verga 8 way sequential switch as it does a lot in small space and so far have enjoyed most of my NE modules. Erica Synths Matrix mixer looks awesome but most expensive one same with WMD. Bang for buck looks to be either the Doepfer Matrix mixer or the new Noise Engineering one.

U-he CVilization is on my list for my next build...not sure if it qualifies for exactly what you're looking for but it does allow for mixing, routing and sequencing CV or audio signals, in a matrixy way I suppose

JB

I’ve been enjoying Warm Star’s The Bends as a 10hp cv controlled vactrol matrix mixer. I’ve only had it for a short time, but I’ve gotten some fun results.

this user has left ModularGrid

Hi all,

Been busy learning and building my modular system for the past year or so and noticed that one of my racks is missing a good matrix mixer! Now my other rack has a Doepfer sequential switch and 4ms VCA Matrix so that area is covered. But want good change to spice up my MDLR 14 system. What are your favorite matrix mixers for Eurorack and why?

Looking at getting either the WMD Sequential Switch Matrix with expander or the smaller Livestock Electronics Maze. Erica Synths also has one but not sure how good it is? Doepfer Matrix mixer is the affordable one at about $200 and no computer screens just knobs.

The FH2 is probably an overkill unless you plan on hooking this system up directly to a computer. You could save a lot by using a simpler interface. The FH2 has some interesting capabilities. But programming it is a pain in the... If you simply want sync, you can get the MIDI expander for Pam's New Workout.

Pam's New Workout and the Mimetic are a good pairing. I'd add a micro Ornament & Crime unit to this (8HP). It has a quad quantizer mode that makes getting really nice, in tune notes out of the Mimetic. O&C has other functions as well, so it'll be very handy.

Hello new person. Welcome to modular. Here are some pointers.

When posting a picture of your rack, don't post a GIF. Post a link to the rack and MG should populate the space with your rack as a clickable link so others can examine your module choices. It's very helpful.

You're putting big modules into a small space. You're more than likely not going to get what you expect from this set-up. You're missing a lot of functional utility modules.

How will this thing play notes? Will you be driving this from an external CV controller or external sequencer? Do you plan on sync'ing anything?

How will you record the output? Modular synths work at a level higher than the "line level".

You stated you've spent a few weeks reading "Patch & Tweak." No offense, but if you understood the material, this wouldn't be your rack. Why did you select two slew limiters AND the Maths module? You have a shift register. But how will it function in this rack and what exactly are you going to feed it with?

If you want playable, you should go with a semi-modular synth and save yourself a bunch of money at this point. A semi-modular like a Behringer Neutron, Moog Mother-32, or a Arturia MicroBrute 2 might give you a better outlet without breaking the bank or pushing you to spend money on modules when you aren't getting the entire concept of the modular environment.

hahahahaha - if you think anything in modular is a waste of money, I'd suggest walking away now

everyone I've come across who started like this (tiny case) has come to 'regret it' within 3-6 months - as they end up buying another case and then another and another

buy a decent sized case to start with (the ones you mentioned are very good) and you are less likely to get into the hobby of buying eurorack cases - I made the mistake of buying a 6u/72hp case to start with - and 5 year later have 1500hp... may have stopped at a mantis, if I'd bought that to start with

if you want to save money - build one - it's easy - a couple of bits of wood and a power supply, but not a uZeus as they need a heat sink... I like the befaco excalibus for DIY cases

here's the link to the actual rack (not a jpg which is next to useless)
ModularGrid Rack

dump the 2 functions and the shifty

add 2 * fx aid xl, stages and a basic starter set of utilities - links, kinks (discontinued - buy it if you can find it - substitute: wmd/ssf toolbox) and shades - consider a matrix mixer

download 'maths illustrated supplement', play until you start to reach for something you don't have and then add that - repeat until death

Like Tiki Bleepy one, only twice as bleepy.

ModularGrid Rack

I just found Melotus Versio, NE's new granular processor, and swapped it for Beads. After swapping out Ripples for the MCF, I was able to add SSF's Toolbox.

What do you think?

I had this idea to make interaction between two patterns with my two stages. Here's the result!

Hi there!
After spending a few weeks reading Patch&Tweak I've decide to start to build my first Eurorack.
Something oriented to Ambient (what else is new!).
I know what many of pro users here are gonna tell me, I should waste my money on TipTop Mantis,
or Doepfer case, build something bigger, and save a 30% of my new build to enlarge.
I'm looking for something playable without wasting a lot of money, and I think it could be possible with this approach.
But I'm a new here, and every comment of you would help me to start off on the right foot.

Thanks !!!

alt text

Was just thinking the same thing - a mini white board like this could be really useful.

wondering if i can use the alm chalkboard for this.

the goal is to have a drone from my E352 as "Clean" Drone and then hae the drone sent through chalkboard as a Sub-Drone and then send the 2 to different channels on my Bloodcells audio D.O.MIXX

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Hi,

I've stumbled upon a problem that has been less discussed (or maybe I haven't just found the right topics?).
I took time and effort to build a modular system and quadruple-check all the specs.
The specs of my system are +12V 932mA / -12V 474mA / +5V 0mA.
I'm using a uZeus with the 1A power adapter.
I looked at the specs and thought I'm still good but when I powered up lights started flashing and I powered off immediately.
Luckily all modules are fine. After recovering from the shock I found info somewhere that some modules need temporarily more juice at power up (especially digital modules?).
Why are the power consumption specs of modules not taking this into consideration?
Is there a way to calculate or otherwise find out the maximum power consumption of a specific module?
If not, how big of a buffer should I percentage wise leave so I'll not encounter these kind of problems again?

If I now go and buy the 3A boost power adapter for the uZeus will I be fine and able to power up above mentioned system safely without skipping heart beats or losing more hair?

Hi,

First post here and just starting to dip my toes into the deep ocean of modular.

I'm looking at the specs of Odessa and it says that the pitch CV V/Oct input accepts voltages in -5V to +10V range.
All other CV inputs on the Odessa accept -5V to +5V.
I've gathered that my control modules operate in the range of -5V to +5V.
My question:
What happens if I send CV only in the range of -5V to +5V to the Odessa's CV V/Oct input?
What will I be missing in the functionality of the Odessa in theory and practice?

Thanks for the help!

Hello!

Hoping to get some thoughts on this (or a similar) system for a beginner such as myself:

ModularGrid Rack

• Expert Sleepers FH-2 (or Intellijel uMidi)
  • MI Marbles
  • ALM Squid Salmple
  • ALM Pamela's New Workout
  • Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis
  • MI Plaits
  • TipTop Audio Forbidden Planet
  • MI Veils
  • Intelligel Outs

It's essentially the modules used in both the below videos, which is the style of music I'd like to experiment with - mainly deep house and minimal 4/4, leaving room to expand into ambient soundscapes, textures, generative styles in the future.

I already have a Digitakt, Digitone and have an 0-Coast on the way, so have added the FH-2 and Intellijel Outs to this rack. I'd like to be able to use the system standalone with the 0-Coast (as seen in the videos), but to also pair and sequence it via the DT/DN too.

Would like to know what people think about this set up for a beginner like myself, or any other suggestions that could work. Seems like you can achieve a lot with this setup from what I've seen so far, so assume it would keep me busy for quite some time while learning and experimenting.

I'm not entirely sure if I need the Squid Salmple, as I could run my drums through the Digitakt, but I do like how he's using PNW to generate some euclidean rhythms on the Salmple, which looks pretty fun.

Thanks in advance and please go easy as I'm fairly new to all this!

Wonderful. A really great exploration. Thanks for sharing this. 👍

Work kept me busy over the past few weeks but I spent this entire Sunday in front of my blinking lights…

I’ve been working on creating depth and complexity from simplicity, working with a few oscillators run through thoughtful effects chains affected by interesting modulation sources. These are a bit of that.

Modules rising to the top here: ochd, Vector Space, QPAS, Imitor Versio, Desmodus Versio, and Mimehon. VCO’s lean toward Moogs, Plaits, and BIA.

Hope you enjoy.

• mowse

Yeah, I dig it. Good stuff. Drums would work out nicely. 👍

I own a Mort's Barge by LA67. Best monstrous sounding synth I own. To celebrate this nice synthesizer I have put together for you a mini version of it using the same type modules by different manufacturers. It is very flexible although it doesn't look like it. :)

In reply to Jim:

Haha I wouldn't say "happy" is the right word :)

well don't buy modules that don't make you happy - wait a while and find the ones that do and buy them instead!!!

Haha yes indeed! To clarify, I think the Neutron seems pretty awesome! It's kind of angry (though I've heard nice flowy things with it too) and my other things don't quite have that kind of anger. It's more B's questionable ethics. One can kinda dance around that some given that the Neutron was built by the synth folks that B acquired? I'm personally not bothered by B making clones of old synths where the patents expired (tons of VSTs do this after all). But there's been a few blatant ripoffs of current products that give me pause. I know some question the quality but I've never had a B piece of equipment go bad on me personally and I've used several, though in terms of quality, there have to be some concessions. One thing I know for at least some synths is the copious use of surface-mount parts - so not easy to repair.

hahaha - the manual is good - but the illustrated supplement is BETTER
Yeah this plus the other panel I found really helped me figure out a lot more about how it works, and yeah I see why it's very popular! Mutable's Stages also caught my eye while looking at Maths as well. Not the same thing but neat to see how flexible some of these modules can really be.

it's a pleasure to help - especially when it's so well appreciated!
Yes indeed so very much appreciated! Really helped me figure out things and avoid some mistakes!

In reply to Lugia:

OK, I looked at the most recent iteration of this, and figured I could do better. After all, those B. 100M modules are honkin' big, and there's definitely ways to make better use of the cab space by adding more functionality by scaling some module sizes back. This take actually includes ALL of the functions you had...and a few new wrinkles.
ModularGrid Rack
Hoo boy...

My goodness that is a work of art! Thank you so much! I had no idea some of those modules were even a thing! The S&H in particular I was having a hard time with as I couldn't find one (other than the large B) with built in noise. Heck I even looked at Doepfer so not sure how I missed that!

Explanation is wonderful too! Thank you! I'll have to slowly make my way through all those. So much cool stuff in there, thanks for running through it all too! That power 1HP thing is super neat and I didn't think about ground lift but yeah that could end up being really helpful (especially if I end up putting it opposite my current synths and conventional rack). Such a really cool thing for you to do! I couldn't help but share that with the Mrs but, of course, she asked "how much" and I showed here the price and she just laughed and walked away haha so....well I might have to build that thing over time surely :)

Thanks to you both! Really looking forward to it all!

Thread: 3.5mm MIDI.

I haven't but I do believe MIDI is indeed TTL (5V). This sorta thing kinda reminds me of the PC tracker days when someone (myself included) would load up say config.sys as a wave file and use that to make music :) Could be really neat to try! One thing you will want to consider is that at least DIN MIDI connections use opto-isolators to prevent damage and that might be something you may want to look at (or perhaps use say a cheap USB to MIDI device). It probably won't break anything but I'd be worth taking a look at those circuits. There's several Arduino MIDI boards and things so it should be an easy circuit to track down.

Before you fill a module full of stacked cables, think about how much torque you'd apply if you accidentally bumped that stack with your elbow. I'm thinking of getting some short male to female cables to lesson the worry. I tend to limit my stacks to just one piggy back. Stackables have taps at both ends, so you can split at the output and the input. Anything more than that, I reach for a proper passive splitter (Intellijel makes nice ones with magnetic backs). I'll only split gates and triggers. Anything that's going to note pitch, I put through an active mult.