Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Mylar Melodies made a good video about generative patching too.

Amazing -- I want more!

There is a very good You Tube video explaining how to patch generative music.

The new ep from NZ modular synth collective cyberneticohm gets its initial release via bandcamp > available in all stores from 24th November >
https://cyberneticohm.bandcamp.com/album/3-before-9-ep

Hi at all, I assembled my first modular with these modules:
ModularGrid Rack
I have 8 hp left over.
Do you have any advice for me?
I was thinking for a mixer and in particular the make noise optomix because I probably must mix verbos oscillators and voltages.
If I control everything from Qunexus via vca i feel frying of pressure on controller keys.
Could it be that it is not correct to control via vca? I saw online that through Optomix you can control well with Qunexus.
After that I plan to expand an additional 84 hp row of effects and maybe another oscillator.
With the Vermona Tai-4 I can connect my drum machine right? The xls attack is a bit uncomfortable but I found the right cable.
Thanks
FB

this user has left ModularGrid

How do you like the Rossum Trident? Is it considered a complex oscillator and is it worth the money as it is an expensive module?

Had fun experimenting with Euclidian patterns with Pamela's New Workout as sequencer/clock:

Just a relaxing jam on the Make Noise DPO and Rossum Electro-Music Trident.

Oh, man! 17 minutes... something to achieve, for sure!

Vector works with Launchpad. Steve Turner has a great video on it:

That is a game changer. Yes, expensive but no more than WMD Metron or Winter Eloquencer with expanders. All modular sequencers are super expensive. You are right, never enough room. I already filled 2 6U cases in first year working modular. Now want another 500HP new case space. Doepfer Monster base plus MDLR 14U case with 1u row of Intellijel tiles will help solve that dilemma for a while :-)

Hi Lugia,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my inquiry. You most definitely sound like you have some serious expertise in modular synth engineering & design for sure. Even though I have been involved in synthesizers since 1971 I tend to be more of an appliance operator rather than an engineer as I don’t have the academic background. Back in the day I used to occasionally hang out at Moog Music when they were on Academy Street in Williamsville, NY which was close to my home at the time and it was then that I purchased my 1st synth, a Moog Sonic-6. Over the course of time, I met Dr. Bob Moog, Dave VanKoevering, Dr. Tom Rhea and Tom Lamb who were some of the big dogs at Moog back then. Two years later my synth needed service so my Dad took it in for me as was stationed at Shaw AFB, Sc. It was then, my Dad was introduced to Keith Emerson who was at Moog doing some work with Bob Moog. My Dad told Emerson that his son (that would be me) was a huge fan and he was my inspiration. Emerson grabbed a mini Moog patch layout sheet and wrote a note to me and autographed it. Ok back to business. I will finish refining my System 55 and make it public. If you care to review it, I’d be very receptive to feedback & suggestions. The case I’m planning to use is a Pittsburgh Modular Structure EP-420 with 3 powered 140 hp rows of beautiful eurorack.
Best regards, Walt a/k/a Rockasaurus.

Hi Sacguy71,

Yes indeed, the Five12 - Vector seems to be the best choice so far, to me as well; pity it's so expensive together with that Jack expander...

Are you sure that's going to work the Novation Launchpad together with the Vector? That might be an interesting thought indeed!

I agree with most that you wrote except with this little tiny thingy... ;-)

"I would have room for plenty of support modules and..."

No matter how large your Eurorack case is, there is never really "plenty" of space ;-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Ha, ha, good idea Troux :-)

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Agreed @GarfieldModular, I think we need to move the Overton Window for long drones here on Modular Grid... 17 minutes or longer should be the new norm ;p

Hi Sacguy71,

Thank you very much for hinting out about the Aux output, I forgot a bit about that one, to be honest... will check that out.

Kind regards, Garfield.

Thanks Garfield,

Yeah I have been experimenting with various LFO waveforms on Pamela and also different Euclidian sequences to Plaits. SO fun!
I really like the vowel model on the Plaits to create different words as part of a tune. True- 8 are valid patch points but you can use the aux output as a S&H noise generator as well! I love running the aux out of Plaits to my Make Noise Mimeophon for a echo chamber surf white noise generator.

Hi Studio460,

Thanks a lot for the hint of E950 from Synthesis Technology, I will consider that one, sounds good from what you describe! I had actually the Emy in mind but will consider now the E950 instead.

Have fun with your studio and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

Ha, ha, yeah right a 100 gate trigger, CV sequencer & CV voltage controller, now that would be something... however.... you need about 24 HP only for just those 100 outputs...

Around 4:45 you got a nice kind of clock-gong sound going! Interesting to use the Pamela New Workout as a sequencer!

About the Plaits, yes it has 10 patch points but two of them are outputs, so you "only" need 8 inputs from that mega-100-monster of CV controller of yours ;-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Garfield,

I watched some videos recently on using the 512 Vector and with expander it seems like the most complete sequencer out there now for modular world. Pair it with Novation Launchpad and you can a great performance setup. You can do a lot with it all types of random/reverse and various modes. It looks easy to use as well and crisp clear screen. If the new Erica Synths Black Sequencer and Endorphin.es Ground control are not out by mid next year, I probably will go with the Vector and Doepfer monster base case so I can stack my two Doepfer 6U cases on it and have 300HP of space. Even with the Vector/expander/Hexmixer, I would have room for plenty of support modules and a few more percussion modules, more FX unit, and few complex oscillators and filters. That would give me all needed for a polyphonic setup for live modular performance and recording while being portable. No rush, I spent a lot already this year on my first Eurorack builds and having fun with them learning to craft tones.

Hi Mowse,

Oh yes, niiiicccceeee lllloooonnnngggg (Model) [D]rone this is :-) Lovely, and then suddenly it came to an end... could have been double the length for me too :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

Regarding the sequencer stuff, let's do the main talking in that sequencer posting :-)

Just quick on one the Drum Sequencer: first impression is good, I feel it's easy to use, but I need to spend more time to even better understand it (didn't really read much the manual yet, so still need to do that to discover all the options). I will put more information in the other (sequencer) post once ready.

Kind regards, Garfield.

Fun ambient jam with Pamela New Workout and Plaits

Who would have thought that a clock can be a sequencer and logic powerhouse in one module? Menu is easy and not hard to deal with. Easy to run out of 8 triggers though as Plaits has 10 patch points that can be modulated and sequenced and my other modules like BIA, Cursus Iteritas and Plonk each have 10-11 patch points each as well! I need a super 100 trigger patch bay sequencer! That is one thing the market needs a 100 gate trigger and CV sequencer/CV voltage controller !

Agree with troux on a function generator like Falistri or Maths would be a good addition. Take a look at Stages and Zadar

Muxlicer would be another good one

Hi Sacguy71,

ha, ha, yeah, all sequencers (that are interesting) together to "not need to decide which sequencer to take" is an option as well ;-) Expensive option though.

As mentioned already in another post but for completeness of this post regarding the Ground Control, my local dealer has now put the availability of this Ground Control towards mid February 2021... After one and a half years of waiting for the Ground Control, I had enough of it and I am going another road. Not sure which one yet but for the drum/percussion I got now the Drum Sequencer from Erica Synths. Didn't play much with it yet but so far the first impression is good. Easy to understand, easy to change things, so far it looks like a good choice.

Now I need to make up my mind for the "voice sequencer" that handles the voices, I am thinking of the Five12 - Vector + Jack expander. If the WMD - Metron had different direction running modes (which it doesn't have!) then I think I would go for the Metron but since it doesn't have that, I think it's going to be the Vector, but let's see. First I want to play a bit with the Drum Sequencer.

Good luck with your sequencer hunting :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

OK...let's see here...

CP8 = unnecessary. This is simply the power supply, and given that B. is working in Eurorack here, fitting a 1:1 for the CP8 would be pointless...and also, a real space-waste. Just use the B. CP-1A and feel the warm fuzzies that result from saving valuable panel space. Or, better still, if this is being built into B.'s 2 x 140 cabs, just use the onboard P/S.

CP3 = Behringer equivalent would be to pair the CP3A-0 and CP3A-M. This, however, is only a thing if you're opting to use the backside bussing for your control signals; if not, all you'll need is the mixer.

CP2 = No real substitute. The filters of the B. 923 would work here (albeit without the preset detented filter values...which, actually, is an improvement), and the rest of the module you REALLY want nothing to do with, as it's part of the original Moog "S-Trig" setup, and we don't use this because 1) it's Eurorack, and we don't use S-Trig there and 2) S-Trig SUUUUUUUUUUCKS!!!!! If you've ever used a modular Moog, it's the first thing you come to hate on the system, because if you put too much of a load on the S-Trig bus, the lack of input buffering will cause a voltage sag that'll have it triggering randomly and annoyingly. A hangover from the very beginnings of the Moog that almost no one adopted back then because the engineering shortcomings were even glaringly fubar in the 1960s. In fact, compare the Moog 961CP with the B. 961...the arrangement of V-Trig and S-Trig outputs is pretty much reversed, with the Moog having the ability to convert V-Trig to loads of S-Trig outs, and the B. doing the exact opposite, and that really only for a certain degree of "historical accuracy".

993 = Again, this has to do with the bussing system Moog used to "simplify" patching. In this case, it's a way to "backplane" the triggers and envelopes between a pair of EGs and the two VCAs. Not something essential, and in fact it's something potentially confusional. Frankly, the bussing on the expanded IIIc (the 55's predecessor) I've used in the past was something I found really pointless, as I prefer being able to patch ALL of the signals and not rely on "cheats".

I like that idea. I originally wanted the WMD Arpitecht but it was out of stock. I was looking at the Blue Lantern CV Arpeggiator v3 as well. Can a person have too many arpeggiators? Thanks for the input!

I just received a Pittsburg Lifeforms Percussion Sequencer from @markylorenzen, Quick and easy, thanks. :) it was a pleasure!!

I just received a Pittsburg Modular SV-1b from @sambal, Quick and easy, thanks. :) it was a pleasure!!

I have been watching videos on Vector, WMD Metron and Eloquencer. Vector with the expander looks super awesome and with launchpad a winner. For pure beats, WMD Metron looks like the best. Especially when you add the Voltera and Arpitect quantizer and CV expander a real joy as it has touch pad buttoms to see all 4 channels at one place. Eloquencer looks cool but more menu diving. Ideally, I would love all three of these sequencers with expanders in a very large setup especially with ACL Sinfonion! But that would require two Doepfer Monster cases with bases and more complex oscillators and a lot of cash.

My thoughts were expanding on from the 2hp ARP. I see the Midi tile so I am not sure how much sequencing you are doing externally, but the WMD Arpitecht might compliment the Chainsaw and Ensemble nicely. Should be a quick fun way to get some really nice sounding sequences. The ALM Beast's Chalkboard would also work well in having differing octaves across oscillators. The ALM Boss Bow Two would be a good addition to triggers to form complex rhythms based on the initial arpeggio(also for CV)

I think all of these are too big for my purposes, although the CV normalisation of Quad VCA is very interesting. Happy Nerding 3xVCA or new Mutable Veils are contenders, but I may just go for a 2hp to keep things small.

I bought the Javelin on the recommendation of a friend because it packs a lot of value into relatively small package. It hasn't disappointed. The Red Dragon is a blast. At first I wasn't sure about it because it can screech and scream seemingly beyond control. Once I learned to tame it a bit I fell in love with it. The bubbly, warbly sounds it puts out are magic. It's now one of my favorite modules in the rack. Thanks for the input. I've had my eye on Maths for a while.

Big thumbs up, love the textures you have going here.

I'd personally add a function generator here (Maths, Falistri, etc) or a second effects unit to get some layered texture going, let's say an FX Aid (the 4HP version in your rack). BTW, how are you liking the Javelin and the Red Dragon? Re: the Javelin, I'm thinking about getting one for my acid rack, it looks sweet. Re: the Red Dragon, from my experience the Ensemble Oscillator really needs a nice filter to sing, are they a good combo?

Opinions on this will vary, but I think Maths may not be what you want in a setup of this size, with so many big, modulation-hungry modules. I'd suggest replacing it with something like Quadrax or Zadar... more function generators, smaller footprint (but yes, some reduced flexibility in other ways). That would give you space for some other things... in a small setup like this, a Disting 4 would be a great Swiss Army knife, and you might find yourself also wanting a couple of basic utility modules (attenuverters, etc.).

Pam's is definitely worth keeping here, I think. It's just hard to beat the functionality per hp.

Try asking one of the moderators, I'd say. The accidental/nonsensical downvote seems to happen every now and then if you check the forum. Guess this rating system needs a few more iterations to get right.

This looks fun, but I would definitely consider adding more function generators. Pam's + Stages is a great start, along with the Disting EX... but I would add at least one more dual or quad function generator. Maths, Quadrax, Zadar, etc.

Given the oscillators you have, you might be fine with one filter. Plaits has a LPG built in for many of its modes, and Rings gives you plenty of control over timbre as well. Plus you have the Disting EX, which can provide a second filter if needed.

And seconding the recommendation for some sort of switch or similar utility.

Interesting. Maybe you got a negative rating by a user that has since deleted their account (I think this should be seen as a bug). Or maybe ghosts hate you.
-- senor-bling

Well, its very weird since i don`t recall having issue with anyone. Can this be somehow checked?

Ok, I don't know why it displays a version of this rack that is months old. The actual rack the I'm talking about is on my profile. Sorry about that.

Hi, first post on the site, first rack of my life. I want a playable Ondes Martenot style interface (left hand on the press, right hand on the ribbon), coming from a strong "hands-on-your-instrument" background, and I want to work with samples/granular synthesis/"tape" manipulation (musique concrete style).
I feel like it's missing a VCA, at least for the volume, but still not sure what to get.
I use the Bishop to record some gestures on the controllers and change them in funky ways.
I'm also running the whole thing through multiple effects coded in SuperCollider (the usual reverb, delay, distortion and the like), controlled with an Akai Midimix.
I currently (november 2020) own all the stuff between the two blank panels, and I'm most definitely buying the ribbon very soon.
I'm still figuring out if the Arcadian Rhythms would be better than the joystick, since it sends three gates instead of one, and all the pitch/continuous cv would be done by the ribbon. Also, I kinda got my eyes on the ONE, although I'm still not sure how to integrate it: it would be nice both as an alternative voice and as something to put in the Nebulae.
Again, it's my first entry and very much in a developmental phase. Any thoughts are appreciated. Peace xxx

All of my modulargrid models are messed-up right now, so forgive posting the .JPGs. Below is what I actually have in the 4ms pod64x that I bought yesterday:

alt text

Here's all the gear I'll be filling my new 84hp Tiptop Happy Ending with (which I also just picked up yesterday), after the UPS guy gets here tomorrow and delivers four more modules:

alt text

Thanks for the kind words! I just picked up a 4ms pod64x yesterday and will complete it tomorrow with a Quadrax and a Vowel! (Gotta update these modulargrids to their current status!) As you noticed, I have several (and adding more!). The BEST by far is the Synthesis Technology E950 VCO. Its sound quality is extremely good with very high fidelity—highly recommended! In contrast, the Flame and the EMY sound very over-modulated, crude, and rough (and not necessarily in a good way). The E950 needs no filtering to sound good. It sounds incredible all by itself.

Thanks! I really dig this Moog stack. The Behringer D is a fun little toy, too.

An improvised patching session, droning and modulating the Behringer Model D.

They both look cool. I like that the Erica is expandable. I also went and looked at the logic modules. I have the Kinks. I accidentally put Links in the rack. Thanks again for the help.

Hey guys...

How about we remove the ALL of down votes from other users that you've never had an actual sales transaction with ok?

The rating system is not here to settle forum wars.

@kaskonauta, @Kel_, @Lugia, etc.

Nice Garfield,

How are you liking the Erica Synths Drum sequencer? Right now, with my Varigate 4+, Quadrax, Kermit/Batumi LFOs, and Pamela New Workout, I can get by on sequencing and use Korg SQ-1 for drum techno patterns. The 0-ctrl is great for melodic pitch sequencer. I guess I wait to next year on the new case and see what sequencers come up. I love drums and bass modules so the WMD Metron paired with Vector would be the best modular sequencer combo that I can tell right now on the market unless you want tracker stuff in Nerdseq or go Eloquencer route.

You too @GarfieldModular!

Hi Sacguy71,

Yeah... new case... nice... I bought early this year a large new case but it's getting full already :-( It's not full yet but from a planning point of view it was very fast full :-)

Sequencers... at the moment I had enough of the Endorphin.es - Ground Control. I finally managed to visit my local dealer, more than a half year ago since the Covid-19 story started... But I heard from them (and now just seen on their website too) that the Ground Control has been postponed yet again... now till mid February 2021... so I gave up on Ground Control to be honest.

I bought a Erica Synths - Drum Sequencer for my drum & percussion and I hope to have time in the weekend to play around with it. Then I am going to save money and I think for the voices I am going for the Five12 - Vector + Jack Expander but let's see perhaps indeed if the Erica Synths - Black Sequencer impresses me, I might go for that one instead.

Kind regards, Garfield.

Sequential switch is cool since can work like a 1 to 4 step sequencer or more. Erica Synths and ALM Busy Circuits Boss Bow Two make nice ones that have lot of features.