Im looking for some thoughts of y'all.
I went into modular the wrong way and am now sitting here with a ton of modules that are not fun or just don't make sense. So I'm slowly starting to conceptualize a new rack, with a few modules I already have and some others, that make more sense.

This isn't supposed to be a full synth voice + sequencer or a techno drum machine, more an interactive yet abstract effects and sound machine. I took some inspiration from Hainbachs Test-Equipment Modular and paired it with some of my own ideas.

I'll be doing a lot of pinging, feedbacking and processing of external signals (Synths, Voice, etc.). While I have some "lo-fi-ish" effects on board, I will be using outboard gear and software for effects, compression, eq and mastering.

I just want to hear what you think. Am I missing something essential? Would you give this rack a play?

*That TRS 2HP thingy on the right is supposed to be a breakout module for the spring reverb, so I can mount the tank on the outside. I'll diy that.

there doesn't appear to be enough mixing to me - I'd want more than the matrix mixer (good call btw) and a single doepfer quad vca...

what's the midixo connected to? I don't either an expert sleepers midi capable module or any other midi module in the rack? seems superfluous to me!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

@JimHowell1970

You're right, kinda. I had a Befaco STMix in there, but I removed that, because there is nothing stereo in there. The Planar 2 also functions as a very hands on 4-channel mixer, so looking at the sound sources that should be enough (for me at least).

The midixo is just a dummy, that'll be a 2HP DIYed panel with a TRS jack, as a breakout-module for the Spring Reverb Tank.

@JimHowell1970

You're right, kinda. I had a Befaco STMix in there, but I removed that, because there is nothing stereo in there. The Planar 2 also functions as a very hands on 4-channel mixer, so looking at the sound sources that should be enough (for me at least).

mixing is not just for audio!!!! get some dc coupled mixing in there for modulation!!!

The midixo is just a dummy, that'll be a 2HP DIYed panel with a TRS jack, as a breakout-module for the Spring Reverb Tank.
-- finnglink

makes a bit more sense...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Befaco STMix is DC coupled. It will mix CV as well as mono and/or stereo audio. Mono input on left channel is copied to right. Best bang-for-the-buck in mixers at four stereo channels and a fifth aux-in.

I've thrown the ST Mix back in. I've never did much CV mixing, maybe I should :D
The Raiju had to go, but that isn't even available yet, so not that painful.

personally I'd go for 2 smaller mono mixers - more versatile for cv - & cram a matrix mixer in too

STMix can function as two mono mixers if you dummy the R inputs of the left inputs you want to mix separately from the rights.
It will create two distinct outputs to L and R outs.
L1 X
_ R2
_ R3
L4 X
L1 and L4 go to Lout, R2 and R3 to Rout. You can add the Aux unattenuated to either.
It’s a bit of a workaround but my point is you get a lot of bang for your buck with this module in a very small space (6hp).

Or you could add two signals to one L/R pair and have them use the same level control. So two 4 channel mono mixers with shared controls. Never thought of that.

@Jim with the ST Mix, Doepfer VC Mix, the Matrix mixer and the Planar that should be enough 🤣

@Jim with the ST Mix, Doepfer VC Mix, the Matrix mixer and the Planar that should be enough 🤣
-- finnglink

probably... only you'll be able to tell!

Working on it...but I have to admit, this case size is pretty inadequate for the task at hand. The width is one of those even-numbers that doesn't translate nicely into module spans due to the various conventions about how to deal with panel ergonomics. Plus, rebuilding this into something that hits that zone you're looking for looks like it'll be an ugly chore because the original build used a lot of small-width modules...and they're no fun to deal with when the patchcord snarl gets really huge. Also, that really blows the whole point of using lab gear, because we've (ie: those of us using that to "extend" the electronic palette) gone to that to get better control/ergonomics as well as arriving at wholly new sounds.

Moving to something like a Mantis would be better. Better still would be B.'s 2 x 140 hp cab, which is cheap and spacious. That would allow a better module complement, plus some interfacing for actual test gear if you opt to dive into that. Also, you really do want a "typical" voice in there so that, when that's needed, you'll have that to screw around with as well as other processors.

I have a mantis case for sale if you live in the EU

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me