Hey everyone! IM about to start my Journey in the eurorack world and IM so stoked to spend absurd amount of time (and money..) on this new-found love! I have a mother 32 and a DFAM in a twotier rack and IM planning on keeping it that way, but to expand this system with 2 84hp Tiptop HE racks in a custom made box.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_967898.jpg

The Idea is that the top rack is More towards modulation and effects. The lower rack is focusing More to be a kind of a standalone ”synth” or as a complement to the mother 32. Beacause IM totalt new to this i just wanted to check of a
Few thing First..

1. Is it worth having an additional vca? I was thinking about ditching rings for like a Veils or Blinds.
  2. I was planning on controlling the lower rack with a keystep, is this do-able or should i go for a sequencer? I was in that case looking on the malekko varigate 4+ or PML Microsequencer.
  3. Do i need like a external module to get a balanced stereo out to a soundcard or can i go directly out from say the Quad-vca or monsoon out?
  4. Is there something obvious i missed or havent thought about? Like IM Said IM totally new to this!

Read up on synth levels versus line level. The Eurorack signal is a LOT hotter than line level.

How you handle it is up to you and depends a lot on your gear. There are line level mixers and audio interfaces that can handle synth level without distorting. But there's no guarantee that everything will.

There are quite a few choices when it comes to interfacing.
You can buy a Eurorack interface like the Expert Sleepers ES-8.
You can buy a Eurorack module that converts synth level to line level.
You can buy an external mixer that has enough headroom at the input level to handle Eurorack.
You can attenuate the signal in Eurorack going out to your audio interface.

I use a synth to line level Eurorack module. I find that to be the easiest solution without the worries.

The biggest issue is going the other way around: line level to synth level. That requires boosting the signal and has to be done with active electronics. Using a non-specific piece of Eurorack to boost the signal can add lots of noise.

Read up on synth levels versus line level. The Eurorack signal is a LOT hotter than line level.

How you handle it is up to you and depends a lot on your gear. There are line level mixers and audio interfaces that can handle synth level without distorting. But there's no guarantee that everything will.

There are quite a few choices when it comes to interfacing.
You can buy a Eurorack interface like the Expert Sleepers ES-8.
You can buy a Eurorack module that converts synth level to line level.
You can buy an external mixer that has enough headroom at the input level to handle Eurorack.
You can attenuate the signal in Eurorack going out to your audio interface.

I use a synth to line level Eurorack module. I find that to be the easiest solution without the worries.

The biggest issue is going the other way around: line level to synth level. That requires boosting the signal and has to be done with active electronics. Using a non-specific piece of Eurorack to boost the signal can add lots of noise.

-- Ronin1973

Thanks for the reply! i added a external out for the simplicity of things.

I think you can use M32 and DFAM VCA out for eurorack signal out your synths but you'll need some kind of line level common output. I really like Nearness and simply use dedicated volumes for attenuating with my M32s but there's also other mixing solutions. One thing you'll realize is you'll need to convert the CV of Mother 32 if you wish to use a sequencer module (unless youre just using with MIDI through Keystep) something like Erica synths mscale to get full range.

I think you can use M32 and DFAM VCA out for eurorack signal out your synths but you'll need some kind of line level common output. I really like Nearness and simply use dedicated volumes for attenuating with my M32s but there's also other mixing solutions. One thing you'll realize is you'll need to convert the CV of Mother 32 if you wish to use a sequencer module (unless youre just using with MIDI through Keystep) something like Erica synths mscale to get full range.
-- lvelazquez

Thanks for the reply! I added a line level output in the rack. I was planning on keeping the separate outs from the mother and dfam straight to a mixer. I was planning on using the keystep to control the eurorack, do i need MIDI or can i just plug out the cv/Gate to controll it?

Ah i never thought on the cv converter for the mother, great Idea!

This is the updated rack https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_967898.jpg?1564651789