ModularGrid Rack

Hi Folks,
Yet Another Newbie here. I'm starting my rack. I was able to pick up the Minibrute 2S and a rackbrute 6U for a good deal. I wanted to know what folks thoughts are on where I'm going.

I'm shooting for techno/synthwave/ambient (Lorn is pretty close).

Let me know where my blindspots are! I feel like I'm missing something with CV, but I don't know what. There's so much to learn!

Thanks!

Hey ArmHead, I am a newbie as well, only been at it for just over a year, but if your after some really cool cv generation, check out ornament and crime, its a bit involved and quite a steep learning curve, but has some amazing apps for weird and wonderful cv patterns, sequences, envelopes, and complex lfo's

Thanks Apache! I've been reviewing this "Learning Modular Synthesis" (linkedin.com/learning/learning-modular-synthesis/) and I do feel like I could use more envelopes. I'll keep it in mind.

Clouds is out of production, so unless you have one on hand or want to go thru sourcing a used one, you're better off using a third-party build. These also tend to be considerably smaller, which is also useful. The Peaks is in the same situation, btw.

If you have this paired with a 2s, you might want to look into some modules which can screw around with timing, particularly if you want to get better use out of the Euclidean Circles. Logic modules are a must for manipulating gate behavior, plus adding some clock dividers/multipliers would also probably prove useful.

Buffered mult: unnecessary. If you have 4-5 VCOs to drive with a single CV, you'd need it. I advocate using NO multiple modules on small builds like this, btw; you can get the job done with inline mults and/or stackcables and save some panel space.

Add another VCO. Even if you're using something like Plaits as VCO 1, having a second VCO to detune or sync against it will yield some excellent (and bigger-sounding) results. This also means you'd need to add a proper mono mixer to combine your VCO outs, and after that you might consider a CVable waveshaper (Tiptop's is a good choice) to get more timbral variety. Plus, add a quantizer; yes, the 2s has that, but one with various scalar patterns might come in handy to get some cross-modal lines going against the 2s.

Have you considered adding effects, such as delay, reverb? Again, this is something that really fattens up/complicates your sound, letting you get more out of what's here.

Lastly, add some modulation sources such as envelope generators and LFOs. The Maths is useful, but you need more of this sort of thing, potentially along with a couple more linear, DC-coupled VCAs for manipulating CVs and modulation signals. Perhaps some attenuverters would go well here, too, for some nuanced control over your modulation.

Not too bad a start, otherwise. But it's got a ways to go. Try and keep things small when populating a cab this small. And also, watch your module depths, as the Rackbrutes really only have about 40mm in practicality.

Thanks for the info Lugia. I have a few questions below:

Clouds is out of production, so unless you have one on hand or want to go thru sourcing a used one, you're better off using a third-party build. These also tend to be considerably smaller, which is also useful. The Peaks is in the same situation, btw.

In my original build, I was using clones of those modules, including the uClouds. I took them out and put in the Mutable ones for clarity's sake. I plan on going 3rd party for cost savings alone.

If you have this paired with a 2s, you might want to look into some modules which can screw around with timing, particularly if you want to get better use out of the Euclidean Circles. Logic modules are a must for manipulating gate behavior, plus adding some clock dividers/multipliers would also probably prove useful.

I'm really lost in this area. What are the big names in logic modules? Are there any good youtube video tutorials or demonstrations? I was looking at the Music Thing Modular Turing Machine MkII, but wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not. Is that a logic module?
Clock dividers and multipliers make sense with the 2s. Thanks for that point of view.

Buffered mult: unnecessary. If you have 4-5 VCOs to drive with a single CV, you'd need it. I advocate using NO multiple modules on small builds like this, btw; you can get the job done with inline mults and/or stackcables and save some panel space.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Add another VCO. Even if you're using something like Plaits as VCO 1, having a second VCO to detune or sync against it will yield some excellent (and bigger-sounding) results. This also means you'd need to add a proper mono mixer to combine your VCO outs, and after that you might consider a CVable waveshaper (Tiptop's is a good choice) to get more timbral variety.

I have both Plaits and the Minibrute 2 as VCO's. Should I add more?

Plus, add a quantizer; yes, the 2s has that, but one with various scalar patterns might come in handy to get some cross-modal lines going against the 2s.

With the 2S and the Disting, won't I be good with 2 quantizers? I could go more dedicated if needed,but I'm trying to keep as multifunctional as I can in my modules.

Have you considered adding effects, such as delay, reverb? Again, this is something that really fattens up/complicates your sound, letting you get more out of what's here.

I definitely want reverb, but doesn't Clouds & Disting have reverb?

Lastly, add some modulation sources such as envelope generators and LFOs. The Maths is useful, but you need more of this sort of thing, potentially along with a couple more linear, DC-coupled VCAs for manipulating CVs and modulation signals. Perhaps some attenuverters would go well here, too, for some nuanced control over your modulation.

Why wouldn't the Quad VCA I have in place not meet these needs? I'm a bit confused here as well.

Not too bad a start, otherwise. But it's got a ways to go. Try and keep things small when populating a cab this small. And also, watch your module depths, as the Rackbrutes really only have about 40mm in practicality.
-- Lugia

Thanks for the guidance!

also, watch your module depths, as the Rackbrutes really only have about 40mm in practicality.
-- Lugia

According to the Arturia website —
The max depth available on a RackBrute 6U is:

53mm on the upper part. (power bus)
75mm on the lower part. (no power bus)

also, watch your module depths, as the Rackbrutes really only have about 40mm in practicality.
-- Lugia

According to the Arturia website —
The max depth available on a RackBrute 6U is:

53mm on the upper part. (power bus)
75mm on the lower part. (no power bus)

-- Footage

That's so weird. The Rackbrute's own power supply is listed as 80mm Deep..
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/arturia-rackbrute-6u-3u-power

Yeah, I noticed the 80mm depth on the modules’ page and thought it was weird. I haven’t measured the actual depths myself, but the half of the 6U Rackbrute without the bus board is the deepest the case gets, so I’m guessing that 75mm is the maximum depth.

The Rackbrute manual (and the module page on modular grid) seems like it has inconsistencies in general. Pay close attention to the Power Supply section of the manual. It seems like you need to distribute your power between the two rows of pin connectors on the board. This way you don’t overload the power supply.

Maybe someone with more Rackbrute experience can clarify?