Hey!
I'm building a performance based rack for EBM and industrial techno. I never had a Eurorack, but have a good experience with Reaktor, semi-modular and digital/analog hard synths, so my main concern is about function generators and VCAs/Mixers, since I already know which type of sound I want from the oscillators and FXs.

Currently I got a custom 9u, 56hp case with the Verbos Complex Oscillator + Optomix (which I'll be using for bass duties) and Maths. The plan is using a micro Plaits for percs/simple leads and Basimilus + a noise source for all drum sounds.

Garfield Modular and Lugia recommended me to get a bigger case and I'm following their advice. I'll be getting a 6u*94hp case and letting my current one for future modules, so I got plenty room for modules (about 356hp).

I'm planning to buy a module at a time so I can adapt to my function/envelope/vca needs.

What type of sequencer would you recommend for this specific genre of music?
I don't see myself having much use of the attenuvertes, should I sell my Maths and get a Quad LFO such as Intellijel Quadra or Zadar?
Are there any other oscillators I should be looking at?

Please remember that this is aimed at very dynamic performances at clubs.

(it seems the rack picture isn't updated, please click on the rack to see the actual version)

ModularGrid Rack

Thank you!

Joe

I see impending problems here...for one thing, this build is way too small to support having something huge like the Verbos Complex Oscillator in it. You're occupying far too much space for a relatively simple function with that module and even though you already have it, you might consider other complex VCO options that make more sense, space-wise. I could probably say the same thing about the Toolbox, too; you'd probably be better off with an outboard sequencer for something this small, or with some Expert Sleepers hardware that can be addressed by a computer. Next...and I sound like a frickin' parrot about this, but hey...VCAs. You have some VCA control via the X-Pan, but this is primarily an audio device. As for VCAs for modulation and CVs, there's zero available. This is also probably why you're not seeing the point of having attenuverters in the system...aside of also not having much in the way of conventional envelopes, which are something that often gets fed thru attenuverters for manual level control and inversion (very important thing to have for interesting envelope tricks).

Then there's the Mobenthy module...basically, if you don't know what something does, you should find out before letting it eat up 8 hp. Seriously...this is a VERY SMALL cab, and wasting space on a whim is extremely ill-advised.

Ultimately, you've tasked a very small rig with doing some rather complex functions, but then loaded it with several modules that eat up so much space that the "boring" modules you need are being squeezed out. My advice would be to chuck this 3 x 56 cab, for starters...for one thing, you have the same panel space as a more typical 2 x 84 here, but because it's broken up so strangely, you have none of the advantages of the 84 hp rows and dropping just ONE large module in is enough to wreck the architecture of the synth in general. Go with something more conventional and larger if you're trying to get this to sequence, and do bass lines, and do percussion, and and and...otherwise, you're building a money pit here.

Then, having done this, look at the functions here and figure out how to make the modules that do them smaller. As you shrink those, space then opens for the other, necessary modules that make these snazzy ones capable of doing all the amazing things they can. Otherwise, the other gameplan here would be to stay in this case and replicate all of the functions with 4 hp and smaller modules in order to get the operational profile you want to happen...but then that leads to an unwieldy control surface that's a tangle of patchcables and thickets of knobs.

Thank you very much for the long reply! Helped me clarify some stuff.
About the Verbos, I really don't want to take it out, since it has exactly the sound that I was looking for. But I am thinking about changing my case, so I am arranging the modules in 2 x 94 disposition (gave it extra 20hp). I can't go too big since I have a $ 4k limit to spend on this.
Following your advice, I took out Mobenthy and put a Nano Rand.
I've figured toolbox' last firmware gave it assignable LFOs, so it's pretty versatile, I studied this comparative https://doudoroff.com/sequencers/ and it seems that there's no other sequencer that does that amount of stuff with that low hp.
Assuming that I would do everything in the box what and how many functions and VCAs would you recommend? I'm ok with changing Basimilus, Plaits, Maths, Skipmin, Pico VCF. Mimeophon and Geiger Counter are musts.

Hey Joe,

I totally agree here with Lugia that your case is far too small. A US $ 4k limit isn't too bad, so just use a bit more of that budget for a bigger case, for example the Intellijel 7U * 104 HP is a nice one or even the Pittsburgh EP-420 is good to give you enough "future space". My advice is intially to reduce your budget to 3k, after minus out that bigger case, you should still have left 2k+ for the most important modules to start with. Get started with that (i.e. 3k) and build-up some experience with Eurorack.

Then after a learning & experience phase, you still have 1k left to add some modules that you might then realise you really need after you got some experience. At that point you will thank me on your knees (just joking) that you got yourself a bigger case and kept that 1k in your pocket initially ;-)

Don't believe though that you can stick with that 4k forever, if you really like Eurorack you will have thoughts of selling your house, partner, whatsoever to get it extended with a few more modules ;-) And at that stage again you will be happy you got yourself a bigger case so you still have space left to do so.

Good luck with the planning and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thank you Garfield!
I'm thinking about buying a 6U * 94hp case and keeping this 9U*56hp for future modules.
I've decided that I'll buy a module at a time so I can learn what and how many functions/envelopes/mixers/vcas I'll need!
You and Lugia have been very helpful.
Also, I'll appreciate If anyone has any tips for racks aimed at this particular type of music.

No use for attenuaters and attenuverters? That made me laugh.

As far as sequencers. I like the 1010 Music Toolbox. But right now the firmware is trying to their BlackBox and isn't quite ready for prime-time in my opinion. I have a Toolbox. I like it, but it's not quite "there" at the moment. But the architecture is pretty nice and flexible.

I would look into a Westlicht Performer. You can find them for around $300US and it's the "Eloquencer Killer." Not sure if that's true but I've considered getting one for the workflow.