Hello,

I'd be very handy to have the ability to easily duplicate a module if one wants to, for instance, create a 2nd version of a module with an alternative panel (or colour) without having to recreate the module from scratch and fill in all the details again.

The handiest will be to add a duplicate button on the module edit page to instantly create a new instance of the module that is all pre-filled and one only have to change, say, the picture.

not sure, but i believe your request is actually implemented in the current rack browser already.
if you look at the top-right there's a collection of tabs, one of which reads "Panel Selector On/Off". if activated, you can browse all available panel versions for that one module (when hovering your mouse over the desired module) and settle for the one you like most (or the one you're having) by clicking on the arrows. at least that's what i always do.
if a specific panel version is missing for the module in question you could just add another picture yourself to this single master entry and that way the database is not getting clogged up forever with countless versions of one and the same module.
just give it a try and see how it works for you;).....

Wow, never even saw that feature existed, thanks for pointing this out mode_analogue! That's much handier for sure.

But doesn't that change the default image for everyone? While I wished people would stop adding separate "whatever panel" versions to the database, I'm not sure the current implementation is sufficient. Or am I missing something?

Use the Panel Selector feature.

Duplicating modules is something we should be avoiding not indulging. How many instances of Monsoon or Clouds are really needed? 15 Monsoons? Really? Would it hurt to use a different black/silver/white/xxx panel instead of the one you own? Can't you upload it in private if you really need yet another alternative? Do you really need anything more than the power specs for a module you have in private?

But doesn't that change the default image for everyone? While I wished people would stop adding separate "whatever panel" versions to the database, I'm not sure the current implementation is sufficient. Or am I missing something?
-- senor-bling

Using the Panel Selector doesn't change the image for everyone. Editing a module and adding yet another image does, BUT the users can then use the Panel Selector to go back to the previous panel they had. It's still there so it's not so much of a problem.

Having the same module 10+ times is more of a problem, so if you really have to choose, it's better to edit an existing version than adding yet another iteration of the same. Unless it's a different manufacturer (e.g. some of the clones have different manufacturers, meh), so pay attention.

At some point I'll merge most "Other / Unknown" duplicates into one and write "USE PANEL SELECTOR" in the description :)

All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed.

Using the Panel Selector doesn't change the image for everyone. Editing a module and adding yet another image does, BUT the users can then use the Panel Selector to go back to the previous panel they had. It's still there so it's not so much of a problem.

I know how this works. But you're right, it may be irritating for other users. Especially those who don't know about the panel selector. Not really a problem, though. At least not as much as dozens of duplicates.

I'll try to see if we can get @modulargrid to make the Panel Selector option more apparent. It would solve a lot of issues I think if more people started using it.

All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed.