Greetings. This is my first post.

First, my Eurorack vision is to make a complete instrument. I'm looking to create a Eurorack version somewhere between a Buchla easel and Reason's Complex-1. Here's what I was thinking:

ModularGrid Rack

The only thing I'm 100% committed to is the Endorphin.es Shuttle System (I already [just] bought it - and love it). Right now, using shuttle control, I can add 16 LFOs/envelopes/sequences using Bitwig, but again, my vision is a complete instrument.

I was thinking an Arturia Minibrute might be a good control center as it has that button keyboard, a good sequencer (from what I hear), and an extra oscillator and envelope and lfo. Also, it seems to be reasonably priced. Alternatives would be a Eurorack sequencer like Rene or Ground Control or whatever...

My questions are:
1. Do you recommend an Arturia Minibrute 2s (with 6U case) as a control center for this Eurorack? Pros and cons?
2. What modules do you think would compliment the shuttle system/minbrute 2s combination. I would like an oscilloscope and a speaker (if possible, but those do seem hard to find)... edit: This second row likely won't come for a while...

Thank you so much. I'm excited for this journey...

Jeff B

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Jeff,

Not sure what you exactly mean (and think what you want to do) with the Arturia Minibrute 2s as a control centre for your Eurorack? Personally I would rather use the Eurorack itself as being the "control centre", but that might be just me.

I am also not so sure if the combination of the Shuttle System of Endorphin.es and the Arturia Minibrute 2s is such a good idea? I am not convinced about it, which doesn't mean it wouldn't work together, I do think it does... it's just the combination of these two that puzzles me a bit. I would go for either one of them first, get some experience with the rack and then consider if you still want to add the other.

I think I only would go for just one of them and then focus a bit more on classic but single components like VCOs, filters, LFOs, EGs, VCAs and that kind of stuff.

You also can keep the Minibrute 2s in it's original casing. Just had a look at it, are you sure you want to put that top part of the Minibrute 2s in a Eurorack or is it just here for display purposes? In the latter case, 2 rows of... 88 HP(?, does a 88 HP case exist?) is too less, I would recommend to start at least with 3 rows.

The oscilloscope is definitely a nice module but for such a small rack I wonder if you should wait with it till you buy your second rack to give some space for more essential modules.

Good luck with the planning, welcome into modular synthesizers and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks for replying (and the welcome), GarfieldModular - I really do appreciate it.

A few things:
1. The Minibrute would be in it's original case with the RackBrute 6u attached. That is just for display purposes.
2. What I mean by control center is keyboard and sequencer - maybe control center isn't the right word.
3. The RackBrute is 88hp, though one row needs a 5 hp power unit leaving 83 hp in that row...
4. I agree about the oscilloscope (and speaker). While they are somewhat important to my final vision, space will be too high of a commodity with only 6u.

What I like about the MiniBrute is that for $450, it gives me not only a nice sequencer and a mediocre keyboard, but also 2 vco's, a vcf, 2 EGs (AD & ADSR), and 2 LFOs. I also like that it is attached to the 6u system so it's one cohesive unit.
I think my new plan is to start with this set-up (MiniBrute 2s attached to RackBrute 6U with shuttle system), but to be prepared down the road to expand to two 6u Rack brutes for a total of 12u (that attach together) (342 hp after power units). What do you think of that plan?

Hi Jeff,

Yeah fully understand your point 1 now. Point 2, yes, control centre might be still right here and indeed the MiniBrute 2S can be used for that. Point 3, ok, understood; as well as point 4.

Okay fair enough, you use the MiniBrute 2S in a way I used the Neutron (from Behringer) and it's similar like your situation that it has 2 VCOs, a filter, 2 EGs and (only) 1 LFO but please keep in mind that once you go for your Eurorack that you usually not using everything from that Hybrid Modular system (i.e. your MiniBrute or mine Neutron). I still use once and a while the LFO and the two VCOs, but that's usually it.

So your plan is clearer now and from that point of view it's okay. I still do think that 2 * 88 - 5 HP = 171 HP in total is going to be a bit too less on the medium/long run, on the other hand I have seen a beautiful setup here who does the same as you the Minibrute connected to an empty rack of Aturia. It goes quite nice together indeed and it looks pretty nice, so from that point totally understood. But please don't be surprised that after a year or so you will start considering a second rack ;-)

Still my advice stands to not buy everything in one go, instead do it step by step, a few modules in one-go as a maximum, get some experience and understand the modules you bought and then add some more, etcetera.

Yeah go for it, have fun with it and if you have particular questions about modules or other stuff just shout.

Good luck, Garfield.

Edit: removed typo.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thank you, GarfieldModular. I appreciate you taking the time to give some solid advice. I will be checking back in soon...

Hello
I think this topic is important to your plan because the control from the minibrute sequencer 3 and 4 tracks on other modules have issues: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=102122.0
I will try to solve it with some passive or powered step between these gates and the destiny but I haven´t get it yet.
Hope this help somebody.
Cheers