Hi I’m new into eurorack but an engineer outside of it. I’m wondering if this is a decent starting set up? I’ll be grabbing modules as they and funds become available. I’m kinda going for generative, random, unsynced stuff that follows my guitar.

[quote]
I’m wondering if this is a decent starting set up?
[/quote]
No

too many shiny big feature modules (chord, uO_C, disting ex, plonk, monsoon, merge) and not enough support modules

for these modules to really shine double the size of the case and fill the rest mostly with utilities - if you think of the modules as silverware that needs polishing - utilities are the polish

there are no vcas - you almost definitely want these - a quad cascading one, such as veils, is a good start - modulation and modifying modulation in different ways - matrix mixer (to combine different waveforms, vcas (to reduce/increase the amount of modulation)

how are you intending to sequence? are you intending to use a pitch follower? disting?

are you intending to use external effects only? no cv controlled reverb, delay, etc etc again disting?

I'd be really surprised if you need either 6 sample and holds or 8 lfos in this size case - or even a 6u

it's difficult to turn knobs whilst playing the guitar - an expression pedal interface (or 2) would be a good idea

I would not recommend any clouds clones at the moment - clouds 2 is around the corner - also almost all versions of clouds (including the original) need external modules to use them to their best - specifically attenuators/attenuverters for cv inputs

as an engineer I would suggest maths as a great starter modulation source - more control than ochd - and it's a great learning tool for modular in general - see the maths illustrated manual for 32 patching examples

I would also strongly suggest bigger case (6u/104hp minimum - unless you want case buying/building to be a hobby), fewer modules (don't worry gaps are fine - they will fill soon enough), more research - much, much more research... try reading a few dozen - "I'm a guitarist wanting to get into modular" threads - there are countless - here, muffwiggler, reddit... and think about what the general advice is! then start again

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Interesting build...in a very real sense, you've managed to come up with the modular synth equivalent of a Roach Motel: patches go in, and sounds can't get out.

Jim is spot-on with the point that you need to go with a bigger case. For one thing, if you're playing the guitar and realize that you need a tweak, the LAST thing you want is a super-tight interface, with little modules, knobs, and tight real estate. Remember, that thing is going to be festooned with patch cables when you're using it, so you want BIG modules, with BIG primary knobs (like your VCF cutoff) so that you can make tweaks while still maintaining optimal control of your axe. Case in point: http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/ems/synthi/hifli That is the very coveted EMS Synthi Hi-Fli, made by the same people who gave us the VCS3 and Synthi A, and most famously used on Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon". Now, while this is something used as a guitar effect, you'll notice that the EMS designers made sure that there was ample room to grab the right control by a guitarist that would be far busier on the strings. Your build needs to be closer to THESE ergonomics, and not like the initial build above.

And as for "generative"...I'm still boggled by users who feel that they can do a tiny 3U build and still think it's capable of doing the amount of self-regulation that, well...https://modularsynthesis.com/moog/cems/cems.htm Now that there is a REAL generative system in MU format, assembled by Joel Chadabe and Dr. Bob back in the 1970s at SUNY Albany. It's a bit...um...LARGER. And even if you shrink this down to Eurorack size and make ample use of multifunctional modules, it's STILL going to be larger. You're missing loads of things needed for this: comparators, logic, CVable function gens, discriminators, etc etc...in short, all of the self-regulatory functions that make generative generative. I'm even inclined to think that Jim's suggestion of 2 x 104 is too small to really get this right, especially if you get the ergonomics nailed.

I'd suggest spending some time studying MG builds done by experienced synthesists/builders that use generative/stochastic principles, for starters. Second, if you don't have a copy of VCV Rack, get one, as it'll give you a lot of insight into what's necessary to get that sort of build to work. Toss this build, then come back to attempting one AFTER you've sorted out what this will actually entail.

yeah agree with everything Lugia said

the 6u/104 case was really just for a starter system to get the feet wet!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Curiously enough, this might be another "Uli to the rescue" situation, since B.'s 2 x 140 cab seems like the RIGHT fit here. I didn't recommend it, though, because I've not heard any feedback about the power supply setup...durability, stability, noise issues, etc.