ModularGrid Rack

Hi, this is what I have built in the last 18 months..its been a steep learning curve..(still learning).. its settled in a nifty case.. i have another nifty and am awaiting them shipping the double case rack ears to have two .. one above the other..hoping i can fill it with modules to keep me going for a long while..(famous last words)..I have tended to buy modules where I have watched or read a good review , but with no clear plan.. i realise i need to be more focused.
So.. what to do next ? please feel free to suggest anything.. i know i will be asked quite rightly what do i intend to do ..genre wise..
lets say i am not tied to anything apart from i have a dfam which i like to use my eurorack to compliment rhythmically...hard techno if i am pushed into a genre... i am not neccessarily needing effects right now, as i am enjoying what i can do with the basic waveforms.
cheers everybody

The problem with using "top review" modules is that nobody but NObody reviews things like attenuverters, VCAs, etc...the "boring" stuff that actually makes the "sexy" modules with the top scores do what they do.

For example, the "Mesh" does work as a mixer and a set of attenuators. But they're not attenuVERTERS, which means you can't use them to invert modulation signals, such as inverting envelopes for VCF modulation. And this has NO VCAs at all, which means you have no way to use modulation signals to affect amplitude over either modulation signals or audio. Plus, no STEREO mixer, which really cripples what the Monsoon and Delta-V are capable of spatially.

I suggest that you stop worrying about the individual modules themselves, especially following reviews of them for the reason I mention above. Instead, look at GROUPS of modules as a unitized subset...for example, envelope generators need some way of controlling AND inverting them. Inverting a single LFO signal results in TWO modulation signals that work in a 180-degree quadrature arrangement, meaning that one LFO rate can determine TWO phase-opposed modulation results. And so on.

What I'd suggest is that you spend some time looking at MG builds by experienced synthesists. If you see a certain module that you find engaging, then pay close attention to what it works WITH, in addition to what it does. These so-called "utility"-type modules are what makes a build like the one above work...but it's ESSENTIAL to know what you need for the "sexy" stuff, otherwise you're building a system that's hobbled by the dread "Sexy Module Syndrome". Don't fall into that trap...thankfully, you've got a whole row for expansion, so you might still be able to dodge that bullet.

Thank you Lugia. That is great advice. I have realised that I have enough 'sexy modules' and am now looking for a good cook and conversation maker module...(lol), but me joking aside you are definitely making sense. What I would say is that the reviews a beginner sees are not just a temptation to buy a product but actually show you what each module can do(hopefully)..and that in itself is educational and saves a lot of head scratching and manual diving,for a newbie, but like you point out, not so much of the nuts and bolts modules seemingly get any love.
So I have had a look around and am now considering these modules as part of the unitised subsets you mention.
I see Befaco do a stereo mixer the STMIX, only 6HP mixes audio and c.v.
V.C.A. wise I could go down the quad route with the classics. or I have just seen an article on Gearnews for an ERICA synths new release a PICO V.C.A. 2..although i have a new row to fill i am still aware of the limited space.
other modules which I am interested in are the Happy Nerding 3X MIA..
and the SELECT 2 by Joranologue (dual cv processor)..
I am also tempted by Joranologue morph 4 to beef up any modulation duties..and for it to certainly make conversation with the rest of the rack
Does this make sense are am I duplicating are missing more important examples.?
...once again thank you for your advice

I'd go for a quad vca - you can use them for both audio and cv - so 4 is a better number than 1 or 2 even in a case this size - veils is only 10hp

I'd go for mia or select 2

Personally I reckon that Maths is a better 'my first proper modulation source' than anything else - due to the existence of the maths illustrated manual - which is a great modular primer - ie how to patch complex things from simple building blocks

I'd also recommend looking at kinks - really useful functionality in a small space

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks Jim, now there's a co-incidence, watching Loopops vid 22 reasons re maths ! when your reply came through ! now that has to be a sign...especially going back to my previous post about accessing knowledge, being a newbie the maths stuff seems quite well documented as well as being an incredibly super useful module.
And yes although i have to think about rack space maybe i shouldn't feel too constrained, the Erica synth Pico vca x2 i think i would soon grow out of and Veils is the probably the best for me right now. I also like how you feel Select 2 and x3 Mia are good options to consider, that's reassuring..
Cheers

this user has left ModularGrid

I like Mutable Instruments Shades, Links and Kinks - lots of useful tools for modular with attenuverters/attenuators, logic, mults and more. Another good support module is WMD SSF Toolbox. For live performance, attenuators/verters with sliders are super ace like WMD 4TTEN and Noise Engineering Lapsos OS. I use these a lot more with percussion modules to fade in/fade out beats.

+1 on the WMD Tool Box...that one 6 hp thing is action-packed! I wouldn't do a Links, though, as this is too small to necessitate mults (use inline ones)...but Kinks? Yep. This also needs better random-source behavior, too...I recommend Doepfer's A-118 + their Buchla 265 version, the A-149-1.

this user has left ModularGrid

Agree Lugia the WMD SSF Toolbox rocks so much it can do and paired with Kinks a real powerhouse duo of modular tools. I like Plog as well for the many logic combos.

On the topic of popular, sexy modules, I just want to toss this in: Big, sexy modules are fun. However, it doesn’t take long to start feeling really good about doing something massive and complex with a handful of very standard, boring modules.