Hi All - I'm a noob to modular, and trying to wrap my head around some basic builds. Here are the 2 I'd love a few other experienced eyes on, to see if I'm missing anything obvious or doing something stupid.

My overall setup is tons of hardware and software, a variety of semi-modulars (MS20, Boog, Dark Energy mk1), and controllers MPC One and Beatstep Pro.

First build is a simple Boland Sys100: ModularGrid Rack

Second build was a first attempt at trying to approach U-he's Diva in a modular, but with a Prodigy voice and a few twists:

Thoughts? Any major mistakes going on here?

ModularGrid Rack

Let's see if I can post this without erasing it this time...

OK, reworked the Boland entirely, mainly to get this closer to the actual 100M architecture.
ModularGrid Rack
I changed the MIDI interface for sizing reasons while keeping much of the necessary functions. The power was switched to a 4ms Row 40, which NOW gives you twice the current capacity than the modules, plus I trust 4ms's power circuits more than Uli's. This lets your P/S loaf along, generating less heat and experiencing less strain overall...which you want. Other than those, the only other non-B. module left is the Clouds clone; I chucked the Distings and the 'scope so that you could have a second pair of VCOs for even better doubling/detuning results. Plus, I added the CV mixer/portamento module to the bottom row, which should let you make better use of your modulation sources. I did toss the multiples, though, as this is just too small a build for having a dedicated mult (especially NOT one that takes up 16 hp!) and it would make more sense to use inline mults, plus this allowed the CV mixer. The only thing I regret here is that I didn't have space for the phase shifter/delay module, but those are functions you can add outboard.

As for the second rack...it really strikes me as more of a hodgepodge, really, and I don't think it'll work out all that well. For one thing, the Prodigy voice takes up loads of space for what it does. And at $3400 and change for the second rack...if you're trying for that Moog sound, consider a Subsequent 37 instead. For one thing, it's less than half the cost of the rack, and you're 100% in the Moog sound "pocket" with it. Also, the Sub37 has plenty of other tricks up its sleeve, such as a step sequencer and an arpeggiator. And the cherry on the cake: since it's duophonic, you can (in theory) use it to control itself AND the Boland rack, depending on how you opt to set it all up. Better still, if you can find a Sub37 CV used on Reverb, eBay, etc, that would up your connectivity between it and the Boland rack while STILL coming in below the original cost!

Awesome, great feedback, and definitely the kinds of things it would have taken me a while to realize. As for the 2nd rack, yeah... I knew it was an ambitious goal. I later found an isolated Prodigy oscillator clone, and really the point of that rack was to have a variety of oscillators and filters that would allow me to mix and match the Moog, Roland, Sequential and Korg analog mono sounds as a basis, then extend from there. It's a pie in the sky anyway, since I don't have $3500 sitting around to actually build it at the moment.

It's a pie in the sky anyway, since I don't have $3500 sitting around to actually build it at the moment.
-- hostnik

you don't have to buy it all at once - it's modular - you can buy a module as and when you can afford it - get a mantis or doepfer case over the rackbrute though - both are better value for money and neither have a rack wart!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

In fact, definitely get a Doepfer cab or at least something that can handle a 55 mm deep module with space to spare. I remember running across that while assembling that Boland build, and that seems a tad tight for a Mantis. Another option might be one of Erica's 2 x 104 cabs...they've got beefy power specs and the right sort of depth.