Hello all-I am building out my first rack, which I plan on using for live ambient improvisation. I have 6u x 84hp of space, powered by a uzues with 10 busses. I have a mother 32, rings/clouds duo, a dual 32 step sequencer, and a mixer so far. I plan on adding a 4ms dual stereo stereo sampler in the next week or two. What I need is modulation sources. I was thinking of either a turing machine or a mutable marbles clone, as well as a mutable stages clone. And for my remaining space a 2hp verb. Would this be a good setup? If anyone has advice or ideas for alternate modules that might be a better choice, I would love some feedback!

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1463389.jpg

If you provide a link to the rack itself folks will be able to click through and get more details on the modules you've picked. One or two of them I'm not familiar with.

Hello, I thought I did provide a link. Did I do it incorrectly? Sorry, this is my first time posting on a forum here.

Hey @Olias, you shared a link to an image of the grid, not the grid itself. If you share the grid we can copy it and make suggested changes as well as review your module choices better.

No, you have 6U and 108 total hp of space, because you've jammed the M32 into the cab. And since the M32 HAS a cab and power, this is just a bad idea all around...especially since you now have to factor in the cost-per-space to house the M32 in the Euro cab. Convenience might say "yeah, do it", but economics and build capability say "don't even THINK about it!" Remove it and start over, because the overwhelming presence of just that one device is skewing what you COULD do with the cab.

Also, watch your module sizes! You've got a (VERY discontinued) repaneled Clouds in there, and not only can you not actually get that module except on the used market (if you're lucky), there are more capable and SMALLER clones of it by firms other than Mutable. Same advice goes for the Rings, too...go SMALLER. 2 x 84 isn't a very big cab, so optimizing space is paramount.

What I would suggest is to pull back from this, and if you don't have one, get a copy of VCV Rack (https://vcvrack.com/). I'm already seeing errors here that will make this NOT so capable of ambient improvisation...and given that I've been doing that sort of thing since the early 1980s, I oughta know. Instead, dive into VCV and explore, see how to REALLY do this properly (since VCV is a rather accurate Eurorack simulator and even has software versions of some of the hardware modules on MG), and THEN apply what you've learned to a better (and probably considerably larger) build. Otherwise, you're heading right into a rather unsatisfying money pit here.

Thank you for the reply, Lugia. I might have been unclear, I already own these modules!🙂 The mother 32 was my first module, and my introduction to modular. I plan on keeping in the this potable for the time being, until I fill it up with modules that provide more efficient use of the space. I bought the rings/clouds last year, and I did consider getting micro versions, but I thought the full size clones would be a little more playable with more space to get in there and tweak the knobs. I will probably swap them for the micro versions with the sliders and extra functions over time. I built the division six sequencer, to dip my toe into soldering and really enjoyed it, so I will be adding diys in the future too. All my modules are currently housed in a Tiptop happy ending rack now, but I just bought a frame to complete a Diy case using a case I already have. I figured I would gradually add modules as my budget allows. I would add the ones beyond the diy case to the tiptop as a sort of auxiliary rack with more capability for home use; using the more limited diy case for portable sketches in the park or on the road, ect. Then when I have enough to replace the Mother 32 Ill swap them into the diy and have more options for my portable needs. So, given the limitations of my current modules, and the fact that the mother is a temporary addition, do you have any advice on my choices for expansion? As it stands now, I use the clouds’ freeze for drones, and the rings sequenced by the division 6 for melody over that, with the mother 32 providing cv modulation. I would like to add sampling, so I can add field recordings, nature sounds ect, and re-sample my own stuff. And some random, or Euclidian sequencing would by great, with more cv modulation available to add complexity. Thank you for your time!

A link to my rack

ModularGrid Rack

@Olias I like the Turing Machine but it's a bit big for a rack this size. Since the Mother 32 already has a sequencer, I'd actually start with a Kinks and a Links, plus an LFO, either Batumi or Pamela's New Workout.

this user has left ModularGrid

You definitely want some sort of random generator for ambient stuff. I use Marbles in one setup and Pamela New Workout in my 6U case. In my third case, I use random sequencer mode on my ambient stuff with Eloquencer sequencer. Those three do a great job for generative ambient patches for my needs. Check out the Benjolin v2 by after later audio that looks cool as well.

The mother 32 was my first module, and my introduction to modular. I plan on keeping in the this potable for the time being...
-- Olias

...which is where I get off. You list a bunch of things that you want to add to this, but as long as you insist on locking up 60 hp of the 208 you have with something that doesn't belong there, I can't help you. You can't adequately reach what you're proposing by staying with this sort of build...the room for a real generative build simply isn't there.

Hello, thank you all for your ideas! Links +kinks is a cool idea on expanding the m32, and they would provide utility even after I pull the m32 out indue time. Im not looking for a fully generative build yet, rather I am looking for ways to add dynamic control over what I have, to add life and interest to sequences and drones. But I do like the idea of spontaneous sequences that can be captured and repeated. So maybe a marbles, links, kinks, and a multiple lfo source, instead of stages for now. That optimizes my current setup and leaves me with useful additions as my collection (slowly) grows. Once again, the m32 is simply a temporary placeholder until I can fill the space it occupies with more efficient modules and open the possibilities further! For the time being I have money for a few new modules right now; just trying to make the most useful additions to my setup bit by bit. Thanks again everyone.

You'd be wise to listen to Lugia's advice.

Marbles is a natural for what you described, but also check out Bloom if you want deliberate direction to your generated sequences. Warning: Bloom is a love it or hate it module. Read the reviews

Zadar is amazing and can add slowly evolving complex modulation to your ambient soundscapes

Everyone needs Maths or another DUSG

Effects to check out:
FX aid is a favorite for traditional effects.
Make Noise Morphagene, Mimeophone for creative effects
Qu-Bit Nebulae
Instruo arbhar or Lúbadh