Excellent dream-like landscape. I've enjoyed it all the way through.

Peter Blasser's Fourses and Sprott, your welcome.

this user has left ModularGrid

yeah... sigh...

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Not too shabby, nope. One recommendation I'd suggest for augmenting the CV/mod manipulation would be, when it finally hits the stores, the Tiptop/Buchla 257t. Loads of abuse potential for this...

VCAs...well, if you want versatile, Veils has that. The ability to sweep between linear and logarithmic responses is a huge plus, and the design itself is so good that...well, lookit all the clones! But at 10 hp for a quad VCA mixer, how can you go wrong? But if we're talking about only linear VCAs, a big fave is Happy Nerding's 3XVCA. Unfortunately, some butthurt jackass decided it would be a good idea to start a war with Ukraine, so if/when we get more of HN's stuff is very up in the air.

If you have a cab or power supply that has no indicators for the DC rails, I STRONGLY recommend keeping 1 hp open for a KonstantLabs PWRchekr. It's small, it's cheap, and it lets you know if you're having DC rail issues.

Mixing utilities: there's two mixers that I like for altering/mangling modulation signals, depending on how much space I'm dealing with. And those are the Tiptop MISO and Frap's 321. These give the best ratio of usefulness to cost on something that many users unfortunately ignore, that being a way to get a lot more mod signals out of just a couple of modulation modules. Paired with a couple of linear VCAs, this is the quick and simple (and if you use a dual Veils clone VCA to pair with the 321, also very SMALL) way to get at that.

And of course, one of the best purveyors of useful utes has got to be Ladik. 4 (or multiples thereof) hp form factors, cheap prices...that's a win. Especially their voltage "reading" modules, which output a gate depending on the input and module behavior. If you're doing heavy sequencing, or especially generative, their stuff has plenty of the "tricks" needed.

That would be seriously bad news :-(
-- GarfieldModular

No joke. Losing Mutable would be just....AAAGHH! I can see a lot of the reasons, too. So it makes some sense on a basic level, but still...damn...

In my current rack, which is a half full Intellijel 7U, I have an enormous amount of VCAs and mixers. Take a look below. A summary:

• Veils. It's just a great and very flexible VCA. You get control over linear/exponential and the offset. In exponential mode, it can give you lots and lots of gain. It also acts as a mixer.
  • Doepfer octuple VCA. Just linear, no relative volumes, but for sheer VCA per HP, it's unbeatable. Works great e.g. for stereo (same envelope via multiple to two channels) or beats made out of noise (summed into one).
  • Quadratt. I sometimes feel like I need a second one of these. It can do bipolar, e.g. inverse an envelope for ducking, and it acts as a mixer.
  • Ladik stereo mixer. I used to use this a lot before I got the ES-9. Output went to the Befaco out and then to my speakers. Nowadays, I mix in my iPad and the mix goes back to the ES-9, then out to the speakers. Still, I don’t regret having this extra mixer.

Other utilities? On my shortlist are the Divkid Rnd step, Intellijel Shifty, an FSR, Pamela's, Joranalogue's Select 2 and Compare 2, etc. Pamela+Rnd Step for S&H for randomisation, but also to reduce the sample rate of something. I'm actually also considering the Joranalogue Orbit 3 as a source of chaos. Even though it's not really a utility, it can serve as a many things: VCO, LFO or modulation source, …

ModularGrid Rack

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

veils for vcas - 4 vcas in 10hp - and actual amplifiers...

matrix mixers - Ive got a couple of DIY ones, but if I was going to get just one now I'd go for the doepfer due to ergonomics - if you want voltage control, then the 4ms VCAM

sequential switch - again the doepfer one is inexpensive and does what it says it does

logic - joranalogue compare2

also can't go wrong with happy nerding 3MIA (or their 3VCA), mutable kinks and links (or clones now they've been discontinued) or the WMD/SSF toolbox (if you can find one, again discontinued)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I love this community! - All great ideas/advice. One of the things I've been struggling with has been deciding to put the moogs into the eurorack or not. The thing is that I've been using these DFAM and Subharmonicon soooo much as starting points for music and sound design that I keep feeling that they are such a huge part of my process right now, why keep them separate? The other thing I just wanted to explain is that I'm working with a really limited amount of studio space and was putting the moogs into the rack in an effort to conserve all desk space and keep all Modules together in one rack. I'm going to keep thinking about if I should take them out or not, I really appreciate the advice. I have them both in a tiered rack right now and they're great of course I just thought if I need to conserve studio space why not put them all together into a larger Eurorack...

Thanks for the info about the 2hp modules, makes a lot of sense!

I'm also considering putting the Mutable Instruments modules into a separate rack which would live below the Eurorack on my desk (close by) - I know, I know, seems really weird but, I'm almost starting to think about the MI modules as their own set of utilities and functions.

Can anyone recommend their favorite VCA's and Utilities? Thanks again

Stereo channel 1 of SSF Vortices is the IRv4 with added Sine wave going through the DannySound Timbre and then into Mimeophon.
Stereo channel 2 of SSF Vortices is the IRv4 Drum-Output going into a bit of delay from the Erica PICO DSP.
Stereo channel 3 of SSF Vortices is the IRv4 with a nice wash of Monsoon Clouds Reverb.
DivKid / Istruo Ochd and 2hp RND are doing all the CV control of IRv4 along with swiping the Color control on Mimeophon.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Hey everyone,

Here's my current system: 3 cases. I wanted to keep the Frap Tools together in one case, all mutable in one row and I also think the EC and BIA (Noise Engineering) combo works well together.

ModularGrid Rack

Upper 2 rows are my Frap Tools system. Middle 3 rows are for audio & CV procerssing. Bottom two rows are for my drums (midi out to Digitakt), bass and further processing.

As always this setup changes a lot, but the main concepts stay roughly the same.
I'm also adding the Oxi One when it arrives. Looking forward to integrate it with my setup.

Let me know what you think about the configuration, what could be better, wat you like or don't like.

My music on Bandcamp - Instagram - YouTube

Hello,

i tried to play a midi file in mode J3 from the sd card but unfortunately i don't hear any sounds. It can't be the SD card because the wav playback works. I exported the midi file via ableton live as usual. The files are on the SD card and not in a folder

Textfile Name: midi-playlist-free.txt

disting playlist v1
melody01.mid

can someone tell me what's wrong?

ModularGrid Rack

Sold all of my turntables, drum machines, records, samplers and synths in an effort to de clutter my house. I have always wanted to get into modular so this was the time. I would like your thoughts on my first rack. I am just fiddling around and wanted a rack that could be an all around style rack. I planned on ambient but I occasionally like to make some stuff with drums. I am enjoying the journey. My wife thinks it is less expensive to "Build your own synthesizer" than to have keyboards and things laying around so let's let her think that, :). Any thoughts are appreciated.

--The Tentacle Monster--

Thank you very much!

Personally I’d choose Microcell over Beads. Microcell is the compact version of Supercell, which is a better version of Clouds. Better because it breaks out all the blend controls, has built-in stereo VCAs, and an aux CV, so you could modulate everything from a single source (like smooth random from Marbles or a looping 'shape' from Zadar). Also has a bunch of other modes you can access thanks to the SuperParasites firmware. Very versatile module.

That would be seriously bad news :-(

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Very doubtful...I would HOPE! Actually, this resembles what happened when Clouds got discontinued. A few years pass...and then we got the even more powerful Beads. Emilie's just trying to keep up with that good ol' Moore's Law, I'm betting.
-- Lugia

Nah - Emilie has been saying for a few years she's getting out of the business - to go and do something where no one knows her history... and that Beads would be the last module... so I think it's over, unfortunately...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

See @Vow3ll above. I generally don't advocate putting devices in an Eurorack cab if they've already got a cab and power of their own. Plus, you're taking up a TON of space doing this...with three Moogs in there, you're using nearly half of the cabs' panel space for just those three. Save that space for devices that have NO cab and NO power of their own. Then, as @sacguy71 notes, the "helper" modules you need will have space in the build, which will then benefit both the Eurorack build AND the Moogs once they're out of there.

And that's without even going into the cost-per-hp thing.

Very doubtful...I would HOPE! Actually, this resembles what happened when Clouds got discontinued. A few years pass...and then we got the even more powerful Beads. Emilie's just trying to keep up with that good ol' Moore's Law, I'm betting.

+1 on this for great justice! Also, folks...keep in mind that we have some amazing module designers and firms in Ukraine, and those people need all the props we can give. Russia, as well...hopefully those developers were able to get out before everything started going to hell over there; I know Roman @ Sputnik/Black Corp. dipped outta there, for example, although that might've been a bit ago.

War is one of the most antithetical things to music that I can think of. Period. Nobody needs it. Especially a certain balding neo-dictator trying to up his cred...no matter which one of a specific two that we're talking about here.

Ladik just doesn't get enough love. No, they don't sell via stores. No, they're not super-fast. But if you need some really esoteric modules for a price that doesn't make your wallet spontaneously combust, they're those dudes. F'rinstance, this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-c-015 Gateable slew limiter, selectable portamento direction, selectable linear/logarithmic slew curves, and so on...and it's only $80. For all that, $80 is stoopid-cheap.

Even moreso, they've got modules that just don't readily exist in Eurorack...this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-j-110-derivator is a module that outputs a gate that's dependent on CV movement direction. Yeah, you could cobble up something that does this...but it won't do it in 4 hp, and it won't do it for $56. And for generative, this plus some Boolean logic would drop some serious power into a generative-style build. Ladik's no joke, folks.

Price-wise as well as width-wise there is this one too: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bearmodules-matrix-mixer
Great value for the buck, practical, good feel, and the unipolar / bipolar switch is a great extra function.
B.
-- law-rah

Additional information reasonably fresh: BEAR actually created a stereo version too !!! It doesn't have the unipolar / bipolar switch any longer, but because it will 99,9% of the times it will be used for audio, it's not that much of a problem. Great use if your system has many stereo modules and you need to get organized :-)

Cheers, B.

edited to add linkielinkthing https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bearmodules-stereo-matrix

Here’s my participation to the modular world show. You can find it on the Modular World channel but also on my YT.

It’s a long piece but I tried to mix different ambiences into it.

I'll be the voice of dissent.
If you are going to use the Moogs more often or more effectively by incorporating them into your eurorack, then leave them there, regardless of the $$$-per-hp algebra.

Definitely take those Moogs out of the rack! You can put them together in separate Moog small rack and place next to larger case.

Also you need a lot more utility modules- besides VCAs, attenuator/attenueverters, cv matrix mixer, logic and sequential switch.

and damn it.... while i was thinking about it @Vow3ll beat me to it!

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

Roast: Its too Black!
Roast: And the usual, Put the Moogs back in their cases!

I agree about the 2hp modules, I leave 1hp between all 2hp modules if they are next to each other, or near a line of Befaco Hexmix inputs as they'll be almost unusable.

I would lose one or two of the sound sources and opt for a powerful sequencer like metropolix or ornament & crime. And more VCAs.

https://www.signalsounds.com/error-instruments-indian-resonator-drum-oscillator-eurorack-module

I'll only mess something up if I try.

Yes, absolutely. You have a lot of sound sources but what are you going to do with them? I don't know what those Moogs are capable of, but vcas are always good. Mixers, lfos, envelopes,... And watch out with the 2hp modules - they are extremely small! I have one module with such a small knob and it's very difficult to use. And on mine, there's plenty of space around it! You have two next to each other...

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

I'm no expert as I have only been doing the modular thing for a few years, but I would say it needs more VCAs.

Got it thanks!!!

ModularGrid Rack

Can everyone roast my rack? Jokes aside I'm looking for some advice. This is the first Eurorack case I'm building for myself for Songwriting/recording and Sound Design. Right now I own a DFAM, Subharmonicon, a few volcas and a bunch of Mutable Instruments modules and I'm ready to go deeper into modular. Please advise!! Thanks!!!

I'm fairly certain the only one who really knows is Emilie...

discontinued means that the last production batch has been shipped, so there should still be stock in stores for a while... maybe...

Liberty is a compilation of modern experimental electronic music from Ukrainian musicians, created during the military aggression of Russia against Ukraine. With this release the artists want to emphasize the importance of art and the unity of people during the war, as well as their support for the army who are bravely fighting for the motherland!

This is a fundraiser, all profits will go to charities and support of Ukraine.

Genres: ambient, experimental, drone, idm, modular
Gear and soft: eurorack modular, soma lyra, max msp, ableton, etc

https://flamingpines.bandcamp.com/album/liberty

my module

upload the photo & then copy and paste the url...

but a link to your public modulargrid rack is just as good if not better (again copy and paste url)

I'm trying to share the rack I'm building. How do I post a photo on here?

I'm probably gonna go with marbles and beads for my next modules followed by another modulation source and VCAs. I'm also starting to consider a disting mk4 or the disting ex to get some more flexibility.

-- CharlyD

Seems like a solid move!
Enjoy yourself!

Hey I‘ve just come back to MG after a while and noticed that a few fairly recent Mutable Modules have been discontinued, notably Marbles and Shades 2020 Version.
I knew this had been coming but it seems so soon. So does anyone have any concrete Information by when all of the Modules will be phased out?
I guess it‘s time to start collecting. Would rather not pay 600€ for Factory Marbles in 5 Years time.

Thanks Lugia and Cangore for the suggested systems!

I think I got a better understanding of what I really need and what I could probably skip.

I'm probably gonna go with marbles and beads for my next modules followed by another modulation source and VCAs. I'm also starting to consider a disting mk4 or the disting ex to get some more flexibility.

Thanks again for the massive help everyone!

Nice! Hope you enjoy. Everbody always talks about Plaits, but Tides is kind of underapreciated in general I feel. And therefore comparatively cheap on the used market. I guess a lot of people never even try it as a Sound Source. Think I‘ve read somewhere on the Mutable Forums it‘s Emilie‘s favourite Module even, but I might be mistaken.

Cool! Tides is easily one of the most neglected modules I have - you've convinced me I need to spend some more time with it!

That looks fun! Do you primarily use Tides as a sound source in this case?
-- Chace

Yes I do! I designed the Case around Tides as a VCO and all the fun things it does - Waveshaping, kind of Wavetable, PLL, Chords, sort of Supersaw, Four detunes Osc., Phasemod etc..

Heaps of fun and sounds glorious on its own or modulating the Analog VCO.

That looks fun! Do you primarily use Tides as a sound source in this case?

I like the DB-01 a lot; it's great fun all by itself. I don't think you need the Pexp-1 just for that; the DB-01 is based on a Eurorack module, and takes clock in (just a regular Pam's channel), as well as pitch, gate, and filter CV in. Its output is hot enough for Eurorack and doesn't need boosting, if you want to take the signal back into the rack. I don't have experience with the other things you mentioned, though people seem to like the Beebo a lot.
-- plragde

NICE!!! Just sent one email for a refund of the PEPX1, hope they return without any hassle.

This thing is a miracle. Does what it says on the tin, got the BeatStep Pro tight and starting bang on the first step

Also had a go at this, not du discredit Lugia, but thinking that you maybe already own the case, just for fun, had some free time on my hands.
Might elaborate on it a little if you wish and I have a few more Minutes spare time:

ModularGrid Rack

Edit:

just noticed Lugia also used 84hp 6u, sorry, guess just another opinion then…

Best
Chris

Hey All,
Went on a hiatus and did not buy any new modules for a while but came back just in time to get a Beads.
Might be a little big for the case, yet I figured, since FX Aid is nearly impossible to get right now, this will do fine.
So here‘s V3 of the Music Weasel:

ModularGrid Rack

Still love this little box, but felt like talking about it again anyhow,
Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Best
Chris