I guess I have to look, to get something nice for the 1u row to complement, but Im a bit clueless with 1u modules

-- MCGM

XO offers excellent 1U modules: https://www.xodes.net

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Thread: Speakers

I am interested in headphones recomendations
-- JohnBlues

In my opinion, headphones are a working tool that should enable us to be close and intimate with our music and our sound. That's why I personally prefer semi-open headphones, because you forget about them pretty quickly, they're less tiring. I can use my AKG K-240 MKII headphones for hours without ever getting tired.

Sometimes I think I should get AirPods as well, because most people listen on wireless in-ear headphones. In any case, it's good to be able to compare the final mix, the master, with several means: speakers and headphones.

Thanks for sharing this, it’s good work!

Focal Alpha 65 and IkMultimedia iLoud
-- JohnBlues

Are you satisfied with IkMultimedia iLoud speakers?

To work on a daily basis I use AKG K-240 MKII headphones: they are very precise, very pleasant headphones, they do not cause any fatigue because they are semi-open, (announced bandwidth: 15-25000Hz). I kept and still use from time to time the excellent version (made in Austria) 600 Ohms K-240 Monitor.

For mixing: Focal Alpha 65, but I check with small PreSonus Eris E3.5 BT speakers, and Zadig 301 hifi speakers from Cabasse. There is no universal and perfect listening solution, the only rule is to know the qualities and defects of your own system. And check the result on different supports.

Concerning the extreme frequencies, I usually cut (with an Eq in Logic) below 30Kz with a curve of 24db, and above 17000Kz also with a curve of 24db. There is no point in going beyond this, the vast majority of listeners and in most situations cannot perceive extreme frequencies. It’s good to manage space, and don't disturb what will be most useful to the hearing. As often said, the art of mixing is to make room and avoid everyone stepping on each other’s toes :)

I plan to start my eurorack journey soon. At 50, it's almost time !!!
Making industrial rock music (sorry ;) with regular hardware synths (moog/sequential/korg/waldorf) + Ableton Live and Push, I would like to add something more "raw" and "roots" to my setup, something to experiment with and lots of fun.

-- ouatataz

It is never too late to do the right thing :) I started modular at 62, long after my first synthesizer (1979, Arp AXXE). So there are cases much more desperate than yours :))

Without carrying out a complete review of your system (which overall seems well thought out and quite coherent), these few remarks...

Row 2 of your RackBrute 6U is a little too loaded: be careful, do not go beyond 80% of the available power (here it will be 640mA per row).

If you produce industrial rock music (excellent! We can also like ‘country rock music’ but some Skinny Puppy or Front Line Assembly titles are no less interesting than Harvest by Neil Young) I'm surprised not to see Noise Engineering modules in your racks. Basimilus might be more appropriate than Plonk (despite AAS's wonderful technology). And a Loquelic or a Manis might suit you.

µMidi is perfect for transmitting the clock and much more.

Sincere advice: start with a minimum of modules, play this little setup with your other synthesizers. Take your time to choose what you really need for your music: you will always come back to this, music is the only thing that matters.

Nice jam again... Thanks for sharing!

Yes, the Nerdseq is not initially designed to be the most 'playable' sequencer. But it frees your hands to act on the other modules! So, alongside its own powerful CV programming, you can be very active by tweaking the knobs: the cutoff of a filter, the attack of an envelope, the intensity of a folder, of an attenuator / attenuverter, etc. You can also act to open or mute a signal, switch a control...

This advice. I think you should include controller modules: joystick, touch-sensitive surface, ribbon controller, Theremin and so on. For my part, I use and particularly appreciate modules like Planar2 and Tetrapad.

I don't own the Soundmachines LP1lightplane (power hungry) but it's obviously a great module.
I have already had the opportunity to present this video here. One of Luis Codera Puzo's mottos is (and I quote from memory): 'We don't need more modules, we need more discipline'.

Thread: Magic Panels

Classy & industrial modular technoid art :) Cheers!

The level of Cloaks/Veils outputs corresponds to the level used in the modular world. This is a much higher level than that used by the almost majority of external/usual audio equipment (level called 'line') and this is why we use an output module that will adjust to the line level required (by most mixers or recorders, for example).

Please note, the StMix is a small (but excellent) mixing module. It allows you to mix signals inside your modular and it is not designed to be an output module.

Vca: Cloaks/Veils plus Happy Nerding 3x VCA will be sufficient.
Utilities: one often recommend a matrix mixer (like this one: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ai-synthesis-ai008-eurorack-matrix-mixer)

For more informations :
https://learningmodular.com/glossary/10-db/
https://learningmodular.com/glossary/mixer/
https://learningmodular.com/choosing-utility-mixers-for-your-modular/

PS: As @Vegamorph suggests, Disting mk4 and Pam's are worth considering, and no difficulty using them. No need for degrees from Harvard University, University of Oxford plus École Polytechnique.

These few comments. Yes, save a place for an output module: Pico is a good compact module but others like Befaco also offer very good solutions. I agree with you regarding the presence of two filters, for a number of reasons including the positioning of voices in the sound spectrum. The 4ms Ensemble Oscillator is one of the best sound sources currently, not to be put in the same category as the Liquid Glitcher which is just a nice gadget.

Each of the modules or types of modules you listed could contribute to your objective. To produce 'generative ambient stuff' I would also suggest Sloths and/or Diode Chaos. That said, Zadar+Nin and Morphagene would be my priority. I must say that they have today established themselves at the center of my setup when it comes to generative and ambient music, and in many other styles...

Thread: JAMuary

Fantastic full moon jam! The wolves are not far away...

Interesting.
So I discovered this Kinotone Ribbons... Amazing pedal, subtitled 'Magnetic tape emulator'. Compression is one of the components to obtain a Lo-Fi emulation.
1) Have you looked at EarthQuaker Devices?
2) To get your ‘too much effect’, among the Eurorack modules, could a Cosmotronic Peradam plus Messor set be suitable?

I agree with @toodee. A 2nd filter would be a much better option than another oscillator. It allows better positioning in the sound spectrum (so your track is more 'readable'), it can tweak the sound in a way that an oscillator can't, and it can even become another source of sound (if really needed...) through self-oscillation. The choice of filter, however, will depend on your musical orientation...

I've got some interesting results with cross-modulation of VCOs before but I'll be honest I really don't know what I'm doing.
-- wishbonebrewery

Honestly, and even if this is not the only one, it's also one of the interests and pleasures of modular ;)

Crispy!

Nice jam, nice video. Thanks for sharing!
PS: be careful, a hand behind your rack is trying to steal your system... ;)

As @AEROCATONE explains, there are some (good and bad) controversies on a certain number of modules in your setup; you probably know that. Personally, what interests me the most will be to know how you’ll evaluate your system, your modules: technically, musically, etc. Will you please let us know in a few weeks? Thanks in advance!

You can try this: https://disquiet.com/2024/01/04/disquiet-junto-project-0627-just-ice-society/

I took part in it for a few years. It's quite fun.
(https://soundcloud.com/petrus-major)

Thread: JAMuary

Last night, I watched an old sci-fi film from the 70s: a story in which the sky is permanently in a state similar to the aurora borealis, with lights appearing and disappearing regularly... Then I went on MG and listened to and watched your video. I had the strange impression that I was prolonging this film.

I suppose Pluck and Bell play an important role here.
Anyway, it's a nice piece for this "JAMuary".

In almost all activities there are artisans and industrialists. Small structures must often distinguish themselves through quality and innovation. The larger structures work more easily in terms of volume and price. And it’s not really the same job, the same universe, the same values.

The more informed buyers or consumers are, the better. A site like ModularGrid can contribute to this, without making it a daily obsession either.

All this makes me want to read or create a good old thread about our reality which is music. Woohoo!

Happy New Year to everyone!

There is a nice illustration by Norman Rockwell on this subject.
Merry Christmas (Xmas) to everyone!

If you don't want people to see your rack as it is, make a copy of it, edit out the things you want to be private then make this copy Public so we can all see.
-- wishbonebrewery

+1

We can only make useful suggestions by seeing things concretely.
This is one of the advantages of ModularGrid.
Everything else is literature...

It’s a good idea to have started with Verbos modules, Mark Verbos being an expert in Buchla's modular philosophy and technology.

This is also why a ‘hippy’ modular would, in my opinion, be closer to the Buchla format than to the Eurorack. Don Buchla was part of the counterculture of the 60s’; he has worked with the Grateful Dead...

Anyway, it's really a fun and interesting idea! Could you explain some of your choices?

@Dan_ogq's remark is both interesting and unexpected. I look at my setup and, indeed, the inputs are the majority.

The winner is the Loquelic Iteritas Percido: 21 inputs vs 2 outputs! That said, the possibilities for shaping sound are immense thanks to all these inputs. And I chose this module (and this version in particular) precisely for this reason.

Conversely, I notice that my Tetrapad has 8 outputs... and no inputs.
No inputs? Nightmare! I have become the module and my fingers are the cables...

Modular or external?

I have often dreamed of the Cwejman VC-FCS Stereo Compressor, I recently discovered the Erica Synths Drum Stereo Compressor, but I was especially ‘impressed’ by the Cosmotronic Messor...

In the meantime, I'm doing without it and using external compression software solutions: including the amazing PSP VintageWarmer2.

When you compare the features and prices, on the one hand with eurorack mixer modules, and on the other hand with external mixers, things quickly become clear... But, especially in 'live' situations, it is difficult (or sporty :) to do without a mixing solution in the modular itself.

For my part, I adopted the following solution: if I want to stay warm, comfortably snuggled up on the modular side, it is a set of modules that will allow me to mix. Mono and/or stereo submixers (Doepfer A-138s and Befaco StMix), then a final hub (Erica Synths Black Stereo Mixer V3), and finally an output module (4ms Listen IO). Some other modules, which can be useful for other tasks, come in reinforcement if necessary (DivKid Mutes, Intellijell Tetrapad and Planar, Vcas, etc.)

If things become more serious, I believe that only an external mixing via a DAW, for example, will allow to work with precision (with Eqs, volume or filter automations, compressions, etc.) In this case, a module like the Expert Sleepers ES-9 (or ES-8) will be useful.

Everyone may freely work in their own way, only the pleasure of playing, and the result (sometimes also ;) count.

I’m sorry @Jukeshoe. 95% of my posts here (and on ModWiggler) are public. But private messages were invented to allow from time to time a more personal exchange. And I will not hesitate to do it with you, if necessary.

@HGsynth Thank you for your confidence. I need to think about it, I'll send you a PM shortly.

Congratulations for this post. After several years of research and investment (almost a hundred modules here), it is not always easy to expose yourself by inviting others to a criticism was it constructive, even friendly formulated. And this, next to the question of the 36HP available... I wanted to start by commending your initiative. So, if I may, a few little things.

An observation: for 'ambient soundscapes', and a 'generative direction', I am surprised not to see, unless I am mistaken, a granular synthesis source like Morphagene or Nebulae.

The modules that appear today do not always bring great innovations, but some try to go further by pushing limits (at the risk of specializing sometimes in a more limited use). But why not if they are of a high quality? The Qu-Bit Nautilus, in my opinion, is one of them. Thus I will gladly suggest it for the musical style sought here.

I took the opportunity to look at the first suggestions that were made to you at the beginning of your ‘modular adventure’. 2021, @Lugia had propose in particular a Doepfer A-119, I think it remains a good advice.

36HP... There is also a certain pleasure in knowing that part of your closet remains empty. I keep, for my part this amount of space (with a 4ms Pod and a mini-case Doepfer). Next to a hundred modules... like you. There is an old French adage (16th century) that says ‘Garde une poire pour ta soif’. Which can be tranlated as ‘Keep a pear for your thirst’. But I believe that in English the equivalent is: 'Save for a rainy day'... (And with all the love I sincerely have for this country, not only at the musical level, we can understand the choice of this analogy :))

It all depends on your goal.

• Ochd: lfos only (8 lfos with 8 different speeds linked by a single adjustable base speed).
  • Rnd Step: random only (3 potentially independent randoms, and each with 2 outputs: unipolar + bipolar).
  • Clep Diaz: only one choice among 3 possibilities: step, random, lfo (2 outputs: unipolar + bipolar).

For these modulations an external passive multiple can extend a functionality to several cv inputs...

Other options are possible.
Don’t forget the Disting mk4: a lot of functions including modulations and much more.
And two modules of the manufacturer 2hp (e.g. one lfo + one random) would also be worth considering.

I use various sound sources, three of which seem well suited to dark ambient/drone: Loquelic Iteritas Percido, Polygogo, Morphagene. And I agree with @lucas303’s suggestion: a matrix mixer would really be recommended for your work.

Hypnotic acid track, unexpected and nice outro... Thanks for sharing!

A kind of answer...

Welcome here. I absolutely agree to what is indicated by @HGsynth.
We have to admit that all these things have been written a hundred times here.
So you will forgive me if I only develop one point. Actually the starting point: the size of the case...

If you want to enter the modular world, there is a good chance that you will buy other modules in the months or years that follow. For example, you will wish to complete your setup with a specific filter, an interesting effect, or simply be seduced by the presentation of a new module in a YouTube video. Or a concept that is not familiar to you today might seem indispensable to you tomorrow, a matrix mixer for example, a logic module, a sequential switch, another type of synthesis, etc. Or a type of module that did not exist before will be born and it will correspond to your philosophy, as for example recently with the Droid system: look at the incredible success it achieves (see page ‘Top Modules’). Personally, this does not correspond at all to my modular ethics, But I know many who have suddenly embraced it with sincere (and noisy) sighs of satisfaction.

All this long blah-blah about what? No one knows what your intentions will be tomorrow. But one thing is certain, a 'medium-sized' case to start is not the size of a grand piano. And its price is only that of a good module.

Depending on your sensitivity to an exterior appearance or brand, you may be interested in:

Tiptop Audio Mantis (2 x 104 HP)
Arturia RackBrute 6U (2 x 88 HP)
Behringer Eurorack Go (2 x 140 HP)
Doepfer A-100 LC6 (2 x 84 HP)

And of course keep your Subharmonicon in its box, needless to say :)

The ES-8, as well as the ES-9, have a depth of 50mm. There is this solution: 4ms Pod34X or Pod64X (Powered): 55mm of available depth. The advantage is also that you can place it halfway between your modular and your computer.

In addition, one can watch this very good BBC documentary (here, part 1).

Excellent subject, nice modular achievement, educational and aesthetic video. Pleased to see this here!

Some ideas for a rhythm/percussion system.

• A compressor, like WMD MSCL or Cosmotronic Messor.
  • A resonator, like Rings, great complement to any percussive audio source.
  • A low pass gate, like Optomix or LxD... There are many options up to the small (and passive) but very efficient DPLPG.
  • There is a new version of BIA, the Basimilus Iteritas Alia. I did not test it but the alliance of the first version with Jasmine & Olive Trees Traffic is ideal.
  • A logic module, like XODES LB5!
  • Last suggestion: I also share a dislike for ‘menu diving’ and I was slow to approach Pam’s... Today I would refuse the divorce if I may say so ;)

the nin expander for zadar is also potentially useful...
-- JimHowell1970

I confirm that, and more :)

Fortunately rules exist to regulate transactions, including and especially on the Internet!
Whether for the Business to Consumer, or Consumer to Consumer. But again, ‘the law is a complex matter’.

For example, a particular seller can be (under French law in any case) legally qualified as a ‘merchant’ according to the regularity of his sales activity. Thus, regular acts of sale on a merchant site or even a simple connection site, can make an individual a merchant of fact (within the meaning of the Code of Commerce). Various others criteria can support this... And this is pretty good for protecting transactions.

Not knowing the context of this transaction in particular, the site where it took place, or even its amount and the profit made, and not being a specialized jurist, I will stop here my advice. After all, we are here only trying to bring some leads @lazarusgordon

PS: I have been ordering various gears for years in France, Germany, Spain, etc. No problem to report with La Poste on my side.

So the link is: https://www.ecc.lt/lt/

The law is a complex matter, and the rules vary from country to country. In France, the seller is responsible until delivery. In case of loss by the carrier, he remains liable (unless you have expressly chosen a means of transport different from that offered by the seller). It seems to be the same rule all over Europe, that is if you buy on the Internet in the European Union.

If you are European (Italian for example...) this link could help you: https://commission.europa.eu/live-work-travel-eu/consumer-rights-and-complaints/resolve-your-consumer-complaint/european-consumer-centres-network-ecc-net_en

3x MIA is useful in many situations. Concerning Twin Waves, it is perhaps not the best example because it has 2 attenuators (param 1 and param 2 knobs). That said, 3x MIA will be able to mix and dose two sources of external modulations that will result in a single flow in one of the two inputs (param 1 or param 2 inputs).

I don’t sell modules :) When I write 'We often suggest...' I am referring to this ModularGrid community (and others) that quite often recommends the 3x MIA module. It has many useful functions in a small 6HP format. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-3x-mia
In fact, it is one of the highest rated modules currently (see the list of ‘Top Modules’ https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/evaluationlists)

It is not always relevant to advise this or that module (apart from a few utilities) because the beginner logically has a difficulty in explaining what he is looking for, and the one who advises will naturally refer to his own tastes and orientations.

Take your time. Watch videos. Download and read the manuals for more information, and understand for yourself. I did this for several months before purchasing my first modules.

And start with few modules (but a large box)...

@Dan_ogq

• Leaving a gap between the modules can be risky. A 1HP blank panel from Doepfer costs around 3€. Much cheaper than damage caused by a short circuit due to an involuntary intrusion.

• The 2hp drum modules are of good quality. Richard Devine’s Current Live Setup features a 2hp Kick and a 2hp Hat: ModularGrid Rack

• An attenuverter will allow you to adjust (reduce or increase) the amount of modulation you wish on the tone or the decay of your 2hp Kick, for example. This is an essential tool. The most complete modules have an attenuver for each of their main cv inputs.
    We often suggest a utility module like the 3x MIA: it contains an attenuverter function (among many others). You will be able to dose the modulations reducing the width of an lfo or a random, and this module can even mix several modulations together.

Even the 2hp 'Picnic Basket' (their 'Flagship Lunchbox') is presented with blank panels between modules. And they often do their public demonstrations with these spacers.
https://www.twohp.com/systems/picnic-basket

So the first and best suggestion will be to buy some blank panels (1 or 2HP), really. Not very exiting but much more comfortable.

A small-format macro oscillator like Twin Waves or Beehive (a 8HP clone of Plaits) would be welcome in a small box to complete your Threshold.

Finally I’ll add an attenuverter/attenuator, and probably remove Jam Jam since you have Pam’s.

Your project is interesting. Some indications that may help you...

Among the modules to consider is the Phonogene.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/make-noise-phonogene
It is a ‘historical’ module of Make Noise based on the invention of Pierre Schaeffer (creator of the concrète music). This module is discontinued, but you can easily find it on Reverb.

Today, there is the Make Noise Morphagene (partly based on Schaeffer’s Morphophone). Also excellent are the Instrūo arbhar and Lúbadh. Other manufacturers offer many models to transform, cut and play with the samples.

For my part, I often use the Qu-bit Nebulae V2. This track, in tribute to a piece by Schaeffer and Henry, was made with Nebulae:

The BeatStep Pro is great for sequencing, but you might also need less ‘linear’ and traditional tools. I use Marbles (fantastic), but also the Stochastic Inspiration Generator and more recently the Pamela’s PRO Workout (ideal for organizing gates).

Finally, do not forget a dedicated lfo (ex. Batumi, Ochd), and of course some utilities...

PS. Among the best contact microphones: https://jezrileyfrench.co.uk/contact-microphones.php

Received this morning.

For the description of the module and its installation, the User Manual:
https://www.instruomodular.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/ochd-expander-Manual-web.pdf

Also here, including installation details:

Ugly.. but nice to fool around with
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-low-coast
-- T0MMI001

Yeah, very cheap too but it looks like an old car stereo unit with faceplate taken off. urghhh

-- EuroBadger

There are so many ‘old car stereo unit with faceplate taken off’ in the Eurorack world.
Therefore it’s good to reserve a small separate case and place vintage advertising stickers on it.
It’s fun and it puts things into perspective. We used to do that with our cheap guitar cases :)
Nostalgia...

Manufactured by Instruō, 4HP, 16 outs, 5mA, and expander of one of the most popular modules. There are worse pedigrees ;)
I’m waiting for mine this week.