ModularGrid Rack

Time for an update on the mostly generative journey. It’s been a blast so far and I’m eternally grateful for the detailed advice - especially yours @Lugia, I constantly return to it as I learn more. As you can see, I’ve deviated on module choice but I’d like to think I’m following the principles laid out earlier in the thread. I’m not at all worried about mis-steps as Covid/chip shortage is driving a thriving used module market - it’s so easy to sell things on at almost new prices.

The rack is an Arturia RackBrute joined 6U and 3U, with the 3U’s side panels reversed so the power modules line up to the left (thanks to Splendor’s excellent pro tip in another thread in this forum).

I’m still following Lugia’s excellent layout, at least in principle. Most mentions of other modules below are in reference to that guiding ‘mega rig’. I’m also using VCV heavily in my patches, especially for effects like the Vahalla Supermassive plugin.

I guess (or hope) the choices are somewhat self-explanatory but to highlight a few things:

The ALM Pip Slope Mk2 is there is a space saving way to get a Krell going with the Rampage should I fancy it, and an extra EOC.

The SSF Ultra-Random is the stand-in for the Wogglebug and Verbos Random Sampling (too big for me right now). I just wanted to try it out since it became discontinued, and Chris Meyer has a series of very in-depth videos on it to guide me.

Disting EX and Mk4 are there to stand in for many of the functions recommended, plus with the EX I can experiment with the SD Multisample, Granulation, 4-drone, Matrix Mixer etc

Been using the Voltage Block like a clocked LFO and plan to get the Ochd to compliment that with its 8 freeform LFOs. Though now I’m getting the hang of matrix sequencers in VCV, might instead replace the VB with ZX8000 Lugia had recommended.

As for modules coming next: I’m on the shortlist for the Sport Modulator 2, so that one is definitely going in at some point, which gives me quite a lot of S&H in the rack (as much as 9!) so I’m excited about that. I intend to add the Nin expander to the Zadar for more modulation. I’ve been using the Doepfer sub-mixer more for CV than audio, so I’m gonna go for the skinny version and get 4HP back. The Doepfer x2 quantizer will probably get replaced by the ADDAC x4 Intuitive for 2HP more at a later date. Also thinking of replacing the TikTok clock divider/multiplier with the Fraction Solum - the TikTok is there to free up more Pam’s outputs for smooth random and modulation, but the Solum’s CV control and flexibility is too tempting.

In terms of how I’m using the rack for patches, I usually use one of the AD loops as the core, or a clock from Pam’s. Also, playing around with rotating clock divisions for arrangement has been a lot of fun - example here (which ironically is not at all generative):

So… Would love to hear your thoughts on what to what to get next, get replaced etc for the eventual goal of a great rack for generative. After the Sport Mod there’s about 21HP left to fill. Of course another case is an option but would rather think about keeping it to the two Brutes for now (living in Brooklyn doesn’t exactly offer a whole lot of space for this stuff). Totally open to replacing anything with anything though.

One area I do find lacking in this rack is mixing/attenuating - not something that’s particularly handled well by using VCV because I don’t want to send signals back forth across the digital divide etc. I’m looking at the 4MS SISM (again, recommended by Lugia) but it doesn’t look CV controllable. Does anyone know of a more programmable way to mingle signals? Maybe I’m misunderstanding the module or maybe being able to CV control mixing is not the big a deal I think it might be…

Anyhow, thanks for reading all of this. I eagerly await some more advice!