Doesn't seem workable to me. Those utilities that you don't think are necessary are, in fact, VERY necessary. Same goes for the modulation sources and the modules needed to properly control them.

I've done plenty of work over the years with "deterministic" sounds as well...but the difference is that while I might have a certain module or two that I know I want to feed a sound through, I also know that a sound is far more interesting to a listener if it's doing something more than just sitting in the mix like a bump on a log. So, the choice of operating modality for that would be either...

-- Lugia

Hey Lugia - I appreciate the feedback. I’m not sure when you saw the rack but I’ve been changing it a bit for exactly those reasons, adding more modulation and movement. I guess what I don’t understand is - what is your definition of a basic fm patch? I’ve heard 2 vco’s, a wave folder, lpg, vcas and envelopes. Lfos there too. Why does this not at least satisfy the basic definition?

And if you could, would love to hear what exactly I’m missing out of this. More vcas? 8 lfos with ochd so the pmw is there for synced lfos and everything else, trying to use the empty space in the top for an envelope solution, I have a ajh contour generator now but considering other options, tirana for super basic sequencing, and orbit 3 for some random. It doesn’t cover every base but I feel it’s covering a lot. I’d love to know what you’d suggest to add/switch around with this.

Thanks, lugia