Tried to work on this, but much of the on-hand modules are simply too big to be practical. Plus, I'm definitely NOT an advocate of building drum machines in Eurorack...and here's why:

An Erica Techno System = $4829
Actual used Roland TR-909 = $7000-ish.

Now, the problem here is that, for one thing, actual TR-909 prices should not be that close to a modular system. Worse still:

An Erica Techno System = $4829
Behringer 909 clone (RD-9) = $349

Now, that's the current clone of the TR-909. $4480 cheaper. With that, you could buy four WMD Performance Mixers...or 12.836 RD-9s. Behringer notwithstanding, that's a massive drop in cost.

Hi Lugia,

Yes i understand your point of view, but I want to go full modular and I already own the Erica Synths Techno system which is a beast. The Drum Sequencer is incredible and all the drums are very good. I don’t want to compare with Berhinger who is (for me) a shitty brand and sounds (for me) like shit..
i am very happy with my Techno System and this will stay my only drum machine. Just add Jomox Modbase 09 MkII for more kick diversity, my music is hard/Industrial techno and I don’t need a lot of things for that, a distorted kick, some hats, and some harsh synths voices with a touch of acid, I think I’m pretty ok with just the Techno System and some proccessing modules.

Yes, I get it...modular presumably gives you more flexibility in sound design. But so will a drum machine with independent outputs per drum and a small rack of outboard processors...and you'd STILL come out ahead.

My suggestion is this: stop. Take a close look at the Erica rig, and start figuring out if you really DO need all of that, especially if it takes up so much room in the cab that everything else has to be a compromise of some sort or another. If so, leave it in its own case, then build up a second and smaller cab for a complimentary system that contains both synth voices AND processing for the Erica rack.

That’s what I want to do with my case, so I choose 2 synth voices (Piston Honda and Manis Iteritas) and modules for processing my Erica rack. The British Noise Electronics Gain Stage Amplifier which is the distortion I choose for my kick drums. The Lyra 8 FX for destroy my snare and clap. The British Noise Electronic Grit filter for my Erica Synth Bassline.

And think SMALLER. Huge modules are nice in a huge system...but in something like a Mantis, they SUUUUUUUUUUCK. This is a compromise you should get used to. If you want the big module functions, keep the following in mind:

1) It's going to kill space in the cab for a lot of things, potentially including the utility modules these big ones need.
2) There ARE smaller modules that do the same (or sometimes more) as the huge things. For example, that HUGE Vermona meloDicer...there's a few other modules that do the same thing (Stochastic Instruments' Stochastic Inspiration Generator, Catalyst's Time's Arrow, etc) but which AREN'T 34 hp. Nor are they $480.

Yes you’re right but I’m in love with this Vermona module from the first time I discover it.. I already own it and will be very useful for me because I Suuuuck ;) at programming (musical) melodies, I don’t have a musician background.. and this module is very nice for live performance. Can save 16 patterns and make them evolve in live… yes it’s big and expensive but will keep it for sure…

There's definitely ways to make something like this work, both financially AND practically. But right now...hmm, not so much. Consider a separate system instead. Otherwise, this will just turn into a frustrating exercise in trying to fit modules into a rapidly-diminishing space for a pile of money.

I think my rack can work like this for the moment and for the music I make… If I miss something necessary please let me know.. Later in 2022 I will buy another 6U rack for install the WMD performance mixer and will have the place for all the utilities.. this term is abstract for me.. if you can tell which utilities I need for sure, why ? And how I will patch for example the Piston honda with those utilities ?

Thank you very much,

Kevin

-- Lugia