My own JP-6 is sitting to my left, about six feet away. Trust me, you want accuracy here. The VCF arrangement in the actual synth is utterly amazing, not exactly like anything else Roland did before or since. It has its own particular sound, but it's very chameleon-like...it's capable of going in a lot of other directions than the obvious.

As for the Klavis Dual VCOs...note that. They're dual VCOs...each module contains two VCOs, plus quantizing and several other tricks. So what you see there isn't two VCOs, it's two modules that contain four VCOs. The Roland/Malekko stuff can't get you in that ballpark for Klavis's price, believe me. Demos, though...look, modular is very open-ended. If someone does a shit demo video, it doesn't necessarily mean that that's going to be your result when you program it alongside your modules. Anyway, yeah...four VCOs, which means you can do a lot of different potential directions, such as two-voice paraphonic, using all four in a stack, or using some elaborate crossmod or sync schemes.

At the same time, however, modular is, by default, 'deep'. And, annoyingly, trendy. That's a bad combo; you have people thinking that 'wow...these modules will solve everything in my music!', and that's NEVER the case. Consequently, I keep hearing of people diving into this, making a lot of wrong assumptions, getting hosed on money, and still wondering why their music isn't clicking...and the fact is that they could've saved a lot of money by just looking in a mirror to find the problem instead of dropping several large and discovering it the hard way.

Going into modular synth work isn't a casual decision. It requires a sizable amount of background information, research, and outright scutwork to sort out whether or not this really is a viable direction (for starters) and then, if so, what next? My advice: the rack above will work, but if the concepts seem somewhat beyond your comfort area, step back before massive cash gets thrown around and dig a lot deeper into this first. Figure out why things sound the way they do, both on recordings you're familiar with, instruments you're familiar with, and relate that to the modules you're not familiar with. Do get the M32, maybe another patchable or so first before a headlong, thousands-of-dollars dive into the deeper end of the pool. You'll likely be a lot happier and more satisfied in the long run.