I approach Eurorack much like a regular hardware synth. Make some bass sounds, leads, modulated fx sounds. I use a DAW when I write or am working on ideas. I capture any melodic ideas in MIDI as they come, which I can then run thru synths and effects to experiment. However, I want to incorporate some randomisation and see where some generative melody experimentation can take me, even if I want to stay within key or the particular "mode", music theory wise.

I have looked at the following:
- 2HP Rdm, followed by a 2hp Tune (quantizer) seems like a bare bones way to do this.
- The Music Thing Modular Turing Machine seems to have a little more functionality, though it would still need a quantizer (I believe). I like that it can vary its randomness over time, and you can freeze or lock a pattern. Seems user friendly.
- The Ornament and Crime seems like it can do what the above do, plus a million other things (which is why it seems a bit daunting to just dive into). Trying to even read and understand what exactly the O&C actually DOES is intimidating.

Any other options I should consider? Size / cost / functionality all matter, but being intuitive to use seems pretty important too. I know it if it is super complex, I am just going to struggle with it versus get inspired.