Haha, yeah already making changes on your suggestion.

As for what is currently in the rack, it’s just the z-dsp and the Intellijel Audio I/O. The Pro 3 is arriving in the next few weeks. My initial thought was just as you suggest, to use the Pro 3 to cut my teeth a bit and use the z-dsp to start my modular journey by using the rack as an effects rig then to slowly add modules that would allow the rack the potential to live a bit more on its own as I get more comfortable with eurorack and the theory behind it.

For the time being my intention is just to use the Pro 3 with the z-dsp. My question therefore is do I need to keep the Intellijel Audio I/O in the case or only when syncing with external synths without cv connections? Sorry if there is a completely obvious answer to this, just pretty new to all this. :/

-- TMR1984

Lugia answered the question about keeping the I/O. Yes, simple answer: Eurorack level is hotter than line level (where your synth and other gear works). So you will want something that can boost and cut for the in and outs respectively.

Something that I've recommended before is to buy a synth voice. A synth voice is basically all of the elements of a simple synth in one Eurorack module. The individual portions are usually accessible via patch cable. Intellijel makes the Atlantis as an example of a synth voice. Another idea would be to buy something like the Moog Grandmother. It's under $1000 and is a stand-alone synth but with some nice patch points. It's getting away from your rack. But I'm thinking more of an entry point then you can use the rack to supplement your Pro-3 and Moog Grandmother. Eventually, it can become its own standalone synth. But I get the feeling that you're a keyboard (black and white keys) guy and Grandmother is a nice platform for some real-time controlling.

These are just ideas and I can be completely wrong. But there are tons of possibilities with Eurorack.

-- Ronin1973

Thanks Ronin! Yeah, been more of a key guy for awhile and I guess that’s what has brought be to eurorack, those endless possibilities, it’s just getting to grips with the basic building blocks down first. Good shout on the synth voice. Another that I was considering was the Intellijel Atlantis. Moves me more into the modular realm but seems a solid place to build from. Ronin / Lugia, thoughts on this?