What started me thinking about this stuff is that I picked up a DFAM for cheap and at present I have just been working some rhythms out on it and running it into an amp and then plugging guitar into another and playing along. Kind of a crude way to use it but it’s still neat. I know nothing about synths but have always been interested in them. I just found a Mother 32 in a 2-tier with an empty case in the other tier so I will have 60 hp to play with when it shows up. At present I will probably mate the 32 and DFAM so I can get some patching 101 done and a better understanding of how it all works. Then I can ask some better informed questions.
Thanks
Mitch
-- OlDefGuy

The Mother 32 is a great intro to synths and modular-land, and with the DFAM is a powerful combo. I would recommend experimenting with those for a few weeks, and when you find that you are unable to do something that you want to do, then start researching modules that will help you solve that problem. When I first started, I bought a few things that I thought I would use but didn't really end up needing so I wasted a little time and money.
Have fun on your synth journey!