and the link - cos jpgs are crap!!!

ModularGrid Rack

ah the folly...

dixie and maths I get - they're some of the most popular modules in their "function"

the source of uncertainty I also get as it's new - but far far too big for this case!!!!

don't really get the z5000 or the vca - other than they fit

if you haven't bought this my advice would be to go and read a load of other newbie posts, think hard and then come back with a rack that makes more sense - but I'm not sure this is the case so:

the case is far too small for the modules - there's not really enough space for the support modules you'll need to make the most of the modules you've got in this case - I'd stash this case for the future when you might want a small satellite case and go and buy a mantis - so that you have space to put some utilities and a filter in - I take it you already have an external mixer (although these are really useful - especially when you add another oscillator and want to send both to the same filter)

see my signature for some hints on how to get a versatile modular synthesizer for the least cash
-- JimHowell1970

Appreciate the feedback!

I realize the case is small. My thought was for expansion to happen via a second daisy-chained case. I'll also admit to being eager to get started. My thought process was, for better or worse, that I could get my hands on a few good pieces, learn what I've got, what I lack, and then build out the second case based on that. ;)

I do most of my musical stuff on what people would call "the budget" end of things, so not sure I'll ever end up with the rigs you guys have, and that's okay. I'm more interested in setting up an exploratory tool for playing with raw sound. My creative output thrives on limits and finding ways around those to find unorthodox methodologies and sounds. This is a supplemental tool to stimulate the creative process, and not necessarily for the creation of an entirety of a performance, if that makes sense. At risk of sounding pretentious. ;) :p

I get that I need a filter. I also had a quad mixer, more vcos, and xoh on the list. I waited on the xoh to see if I can just pad it through analog mixer.

If I were to, say, double the setup with a daisy-chained case, what would you say the necessary modules would be, specifically on the utility side of things?

Filter, vcos, I guess I'm struggling with which utilities to pair here.

The Z500o seemed a good choice to add some tonal flavor.

Thanks again.

“You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche