As another forum member eloquently puts it, the utilities are the polish that makes your shining modules shine. T

that'd be me...

I'll refer you to my signature... take some time to understand it...

more modulation, more utilities, another voice would all be great additions...

more modulation - I'd look at both Pam's and batumi

more utilities - vcas (grab a quad cascading one - either a veils (clone) or the intellijel one) "you can never have too many vcas!!!!" , matrix mixer (really useful for so many things - but combining modulation is a standout), an offset/attenuator/attenuverter (happy nerding 3 * mia), sample and hold, sequential switch, etc etc

another voice - it could be anything, but for a second 1 - a couple of simple analog vcos, a simple mixer and a low pass (or state variable) filter (along with the above utilities) is a good call...

I hear you on the knob per function, but a disting or similar is a fantastic learning tool... especially if you make use of favourites and grab actual modules to replace the algos if you start using it on one most of the time

Pams menu structure is quite shallow and easy to use - but it adds a lot of functionality in. a small module...

I'd also want to add delay and/or reverb.. but then I'm a bit of a delay junkie... (& getting more and more addicted to reverb)

personally I'd recommend the fx aid pro as a starter for this - so many algos + a screen so you can tell which one you're using (& a basic scope, which is useful, but noit essential)

I think effects are really useful in sound design - especially in modular - where you can modulate them and have them anywhere in the chain - delay/reverb into filter inot anothe reverb or delay etc etc etc

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities