ditch the toy system 1m. it looks purdy, but it doesn't fare well in youtube reviews. the knobs are loose, if i remember right, it sounds digital. if you want to get a nice starter, moog mother 32 is in the same price range and is way more popular here, but i'd get an intellijel atlantis instead myself. it has some nice "hidden features" according to the sonic state, i believe, youtube review. and sounds really nice. try checking for demo videos for ANYTHING you put in your rack. if you REALLY want roland tone, get the more expensive 500 series.

while both are space hogs, i just love the tonal insanity of intellijel's shapeshifter wavetable (and so much more!) VCO and rossum's z-plane filter. i'd drop clouds to make room for shapeshifter myself, but from what i recall, clouds tones weren't my cup of tea so it's possible shapeshifter's aren't yours, BUT there's so much variety in what it can do. there's a funny youtube demo for it where the reviewer is freaked out and can't stop laughing & at one point, has a brief conversation with it as it self modulates "meows". it does nice vocoding too.

intellijel polaris filter? CHECK! great little filter that does more variety of tones than almost anything else. a moog filter MIGHT sound chunkier, a SEM, jucier, or a WASP, grungier, but the polaris does all those kinds of tones PLUS even "rare" vocal sounding tones. it's THE filter for a small system. i agree with that.

dixie II+? i know it's popular and there's supposed to be some kind of magic with triangle core VCOs, but i just didn't hear anything special about it in demos. if you didn't want to put a big old shapeshifter in your rack as you #2 VCO, there are smaller wavetable VCOs like erica's black that can do a lot more than dixie and both the mother 32 & atlantis have nice analogue VCOs. it comes down to personal choice, but i just don't get dixie II+ and am looking for an excuse to kick it out of my 4x104 tone bender (arp 2600 with an attitude) play rack.

as to MIDI, expert sleepers' ES3 Mk3 seems to be the most popular MIDI interface, but if you already have clack sources and don't plan on playing your rack via MIDI, then you might want to think about "pamela's new workout". i just learned about it tonight, and it sounds like a programmable, 8 out, clock/LFO monster. i dropped batumi & quad clock from my play rack because new workout sounds like it does more than both units combined including adding swing to your clocks with 256, i think, memory points! that should offer your little rack plenty of "pseudo sequencing"

you MIGHT want to consider makenoise's popular 2 channel optomix VCA whose vactrols are supposed to be good for making percussive noises, but from what i've seen, RYO's aparture VCA is even better as it adds VCF & distortion giving you more tone, especially warming clouds and any other digital oscillators you might use. me? i'd even add a metasonix tube VCA for even chunkier grunge. tonal variety is my priority. noodling? never! LOL

back to analogue filters, i'd get a tiptop Z3000 smart VCO MkII before the dixie because it adds sync for other filers and a waveshaper for more tone, though it eats more space up.

seriously though... if you want to really noodle... here's a steaming bowl of pastabilities for ya...