There are several issues/parameters that you haven't factored in:

a) How do you tag each module? Is it a tag? Is it a behind-the-scenes parameter?
b) Who will do the tagging? Modules are uploaded by users. The same users who up till now don't usually bother using the "panel selector" option which has been there for ages and instead prefer to have multiple instances of the same module with different panels. I'm not going to go through 7k modules to make the appropriate tagging. I doubt anybody else will.
c) Where do you place multiple instances of the same module when a DIY option is there and the official manufacturer does not want non-original panels in their group of modules?
d) If you want it as a parameter, in the same manner as Filter/Effect/VCA/etc then again b) is an issue, as well as the fact that you'll now have an extra parameter that needs to be factored in when sorting the modules.

All of this work just so you can search by panel colour, where searching for a module will bring you all the instances of the module so you can quickly select it. Not worth it IMHO. Panel colour is far from an important factor when searching.

My 2 cents.

PS: if I could I'd merge all instances of the same module under one instance, and have users swap panels using the panel selector. Not possible when manufacturers lock their modules with different panel colours (2hp I'm looking at you) as official. You search their modules and they seem to have double to available options. A shame, but that's what you get when people don't care for simplicity.