I would seriously suggest a slightly different approach

1 - bigger case - in the long term cheaper and less physically constraining - you do not need to fill it ever, if you don't want to
2 - get something smaller and simpler than the shapeshifter to allow you to get the modules that you actually need - this will also allow you to spend more time ;earning to use a modular then learning to use a super complex module - I'm not saying don't buy it - I'm just suggesting not yet

just get the following - it'll be a better learning experience for you I think:
a sound source - something relatively cheap and inexpensive is good - the dreadbox chromatic one for example
a sound modifier - a filter is a good - and going out to a H9 will add delay and/or reverb I think
a modulation source - modular without modulation is pointless
a way to listen - yeah you have that in the palette or whatever it is - but if you have a H9 you probably have a mixer - use that
a way to play - you basically need one of midi interface- for DAW, sequencer, midi keyboard -personally I would go for sequencer - so you can wiggle whilst a tune is playing - just get something relatively simple to start with - although clock and gate outs would be useful

on top of those some utilities are good to have - I like links and kinks from mutable instruments - a disting never hurts and you already have a quad cascading vca so keep that in there

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities