I was planning on leaning quite heavily into the Disting modules for some of the things you've suggested (like wave folding and sampling, for example, since I generally don't use samplers that much and I already own a few of them). Do you find the Disting to be kind of anti-climactic when you start to use it for loads of different things?

Well, it's a bit of a problematic module. On the one hand, it DOES jam a lot of functions into a 4 hp space. But at the same time, it jams a lot of functions into a 4 hp space.

I'll explain...the Disting is intended as something of a "Swiss Army Knife", in that it can handle many different functions under a very basic control. And that control is where the problems start to creep in. Modules such as the Disting involve quite a bit of "menu diving"...and that with a rather minimal menu, to boot! It's a great fit if you need several different modules but simply DO NOT have the space for them. But when you start to rely on the Disting for specific functions, then things get a bit nebulous as to whether it's the right solution or not.

For example, let's say you're stuck on using the Disting's vocoder function. All well and good there; you're NOT going to find a vocoder that fits into 4 hp besides the Disting. But if the function in question is, say, the dual waveshaper...not so much, because there are more directly-playable waveshapers in that general size and price range that render the Disting version inferior. Take the Joranalogue Fold 6...also 4 hp, same sort of CV I/O arrangement overall...but with the Fold 6, you get a dedicated control for the wavefolding, waveshape, and waveform symmetry each. The Disting gives you only ONE control, and you have to menu around to get it onto the next function. If the idea behind modular synthesis is to make things MORE open-ended and MORE intuitive, the Disting is a bit of a fail on those fronts, even though it can be VERY useful for functions that you'll never cram into its 4 hp space and/or whose modules cost way more than the Disting. A tradeoff, basically.

Also, having midi capability (as opposed to usb-midi) is important for me to incorporate it into my current studio setup, so maybe I need to check out a third midi to cv module that is smaller than the Polyend but different from the one you've suggested.

Sure...you might have a look at Hexinverter's Mutant Brain, then. SYSEX-addressable, user configurable with 4 CV outs and 12 trigger/gate/clock outs, fits in 8 hp. This has a lot of flexibility, being user-definable in a similar manner to the FH-2, but you still get a 5-pin MIDI in.

I also wanted to ask about your experience with the shrunk-down Mutable clones. I haven't had time to look too closely at them but it seems like they might be more of a hassle to program than the name-brand ones (shrinking the face means hiding features?). Curious to know what your experiences have been.

It's worth remembering that these clones are different build variants on the open-source originals. As such, they have the original functions...but some "clones" take this to a higher level, such as the "Monsoon" variants on the original "Clouds" module. There's very much a school of thought that says you should get the original versions...but at the same time, if a build is really space-limited, the clones make sense inasmuch as you can get the same functionality into a tighter space, which then allows MORE functionality to get into the build. Even Mutable themselves have picked up on this, given the reconfiguration of their popular Veils module down from 12 to 10 hp, while adding slider controls for level and a DC offset for unipolar response (very useful with pulse waves to use them as clock pulses, or to keep a modulation signal out of negative voltages).