I have the tex-mix - I started with a master channel, 4* mono channels, 4* stereo channels - I have added an extra 4*mono channels, plus another and 2 3hp douts in the DIY backlog

plus points - it's inexpensive, it's properly expandable, it has 'most of the features' that the wmd perf mixer has, it's DIYable (if you want to save a bit more cash) - full kits are relatively expensive, but only as all the smd is pre-populated - so only panel furniture and headers need soldering - about 1/2 hours work or so per module - so not madly labour saving - Mangu's customer service is great and shipping is quick

minus points - vcas only on mono channels, no auto-panning, only 1 headphone output, no stereo send return - only 2 mono to stereo, it uses knobs not faders

but for most of these things there is a work around - mostly get more vcas and utilities

I mainly see vcas on mixers to be used for controlling channel gain - not for shaping individual notes

I've just got a doepfer octal vca to pair with 4*stereo channels - yes I know it's linear - but for channel gain I think it should be fine - not tried it yet and won't for a while (a month at least - long story)

auto panning - how much do you use it?? do you really need it on every channel? I don't use them that much, maybe will in the future with better stereo imaging - a pair of vcas, a mult and an inverter - plus whatever you were going to use to control the panner anyway - all of which may already be in your modular - but you may need more of these

there are 2 mono sends available for each track - I use these as l and r outputs into (currently) an fx aid xl and then just use one of the stereo returns

the faders on the perf mixer are quite short - I find the knobs fine though

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities