I'm considering getting into Eurorack and I've been experimenting with laying out a rack to see if I could put something together that would be worthwhile. I have the constraint that this rig must fit in 3U of a 19" rack, so I'm limited to the 84hp that will fit in a TipTop Happy Ending kit. I'd like to use it for dreamy ambient and shoegaze. I'd like the rig to include an analog oscillator and an analog filter. I'd like to both play from a midi controller and have a generative module. I'd like to be able to layer a couple of voices.

That's a tall order for only 84hp, but part of the fun for me is to try to build something usable that fits that tight constraint. I realize that there are a lot of tiny knobs in my future :-).

Here's what I have so far.

ModularGrid Rack

With my tight constraints, the FH2 for midi input is useful because it can do double duty, supplying envelopes and LFOs in addition to converting from midi. I expect to use midi CC for some modulation, so I'll be getting CV for those from the FH2. TS-L is appealing due to the variety of controllable parameters. The 2hp VCO will be useful for a second voice or for FM to the TS-L (or vice versa). Nanorings rounds out the tone generation section. The knobs on the 2hp VCA seem useful for helping balance the levels of the tone generators.

Ochd and uPeaks are there for modulation and Pachinko for sequencing. For effects, I have uBurst, Doupples, and Milky Way. The filter frequency knob is the one knob that must be a decent size in this rig. Disting EX is there as a wild card to fill in for anything I might need in a patch, for example logical utilities. Con is useful since it has input as well as output, so I could feed line level input to this rig for effects processing.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I understand this is generally considered too small a rig to be useful, but I'm willing to scale back my expectations in order to get something that fits in 84hp.