Thread: Starter kit

Hi,

I'd like to share some experiences now that I'm one month into modular. Before ordering, I spent 3-4 weeks researching and having the discussion above. I then moved to VCV Rack to try out the ideas before commiting to the purchase. It was very much worth the time and the effort. Looking back, I really didn't know what I was getting into

This is my current rack. The Melotus Versio is on the side because it's been ordered but hasn't arrived yet.
ModularGrid Rack

Some thoughts on what I built.

• I have three mixers. Actually, four, if you count the octuple Doepfer VCA, which can do summing as well. Just today, I was using 4 channels of Veils with 3 channels of Quadratt and three of the Ladik. The octuple Doepfer is very useful when I use noise for beats. As Zadar allows me to lower the voltage, I can do attenuation in there anyway. So yes, more VCAs are better.
  • I have only two possibly melodic sources: Plaits and the bOSC. I absolutely love both of them, but it's limiting. I'm eyeing a Klavis Twin Waves mkii next.
  • I spent a bit more money on envelopes and drums, getting Zadar and Rample. I regret neither. They are both incredible modules. And I haven't even put my own samples on Rample yet!
  • One LFO only, but with multiple outputs. Also, I use Zadar as an LFO from time to time. It's unipolar, but hey, set the start point at the bottom instead of in the middle and it works just fine. Great to have complex LFOs when I want them! Ochd sounds nice, but it's not on my urgent list.
  • I thought I would save some money getting the Feedback modules. Really, they aren't bad. Static has a lovely variety of noise sources and Lo-Fusion is a nice analogue filter. But looking back, I regret not spending a bit more. I really miss a V-Oct for the chip noise and a hi pass filter. A different selection would've gotten me those immediately.
  • The Versio. I lusted for a Ruina Versio from the beginning, but my focus has shifted away from distortion. The Electus looked nice too but wasn't in stock. I can try it any time by flashing the firmware, but I'll definitely get to know the Melotus well before I flash it to something else.
  • Next up will be a Joranalogue Select 2 S/T&H and a Pamela to clock it. There's a random CV on the Static that I can use with this. Pamela will definitely be a great addition in the long run.
  • I'm currently using my BeatStep Pro for sequencing but I've been running into its limitations pretty quickly. Try long 3/4 (or any non-4/4) patterns, for example. So I ordered a Teensy to try out a Dirtywave M8 headless and if that works fine, I'll get a real unit. I worked quite a bit in ScreamTracker and FastTracker 2 so the workflow feels familiar.
  • I'm working on integrating the modular with my iPad, step by step. I bought an IK iRig Pro Duo to get a dual (stereo) input for recording, tuning and scope. Unfortunately, it hasn't been working well. I think it conflicts with the Motu M4 that's connected to the same USB hub. It's gone back and I'm eyeing an ES-9 next. Later on, AUM and Borderlands.

I've been really enjoying this setup so far. I like the limitations, as they force me to be creative. Some things turned out really well, some a bit less. You live and learn. To keep myself committed, I started a project where I do patching from scratch and publish a track after a jam every day. I just started a YouTube channel for this, you can find the link in my signature. I'm catching up the previous 2 weeks still, but the last few days are there. For the full list, check my SoundCloud playlist. Sorry for the blatant self-promotion, but it's more a request for review. Let me know if I should post that in another part of the forum!

Thanks for all your help here! I couldn't have done it without you

Modular playlist on SoundCloud