Thread: 2024 Shuffle

Hi all, I'm considering moving from this:

[edited, sorry!]

to something like this:

ModularGrid Rack

My current system is a Mantis and an ALM 84hp/3U. The Mantis is designed for DAW integration and effects processing, and the ALM is designed as a subsystem for fun with some leftover modules.

The issue is that my main system is kinda overpowered as an effect rack for the DAW, kinda underpowered as a standalone instrument (only Maths for envelopes, or erstatz envelopes from Nerdseq), and heavily reliant on Nerdseq. Which, I love Nerdseq for a lot of things, but it can feel out of place when I'm working in the DAW and it doesn't otherwise lend itself to the patch programming style of patches that I'm coming to prefer. So, generally, this setup lacks focus.

The 2024 revision I've got in mind would refocus the Mantis as a standalone instrument and make the ALM case a "studio" add-on for when I'm at home and working in the DAW / with samples. Which I think makes sense!

It does have some redundancy with Rene / Sport Modulator / Step 8. The main appeal of those modules for me is the ability to step through chord progressions with performance gestures in Rene; the steppy modulation and patch programmability from Sport Modulator; and the ability to patch up shift registers and runglers and weird square waves and overall utility from Step 8. Plus it includes Quadrax, which fixes the lack of envelopes problem.

Looking for an eyeball on the design, any feedback appreciated. Does this look like a reasonable system?

Thanks in advance!