Still not bad, even with the extra space taken up by the MI modules.

My take on the Mutable thing is this: if Olivier comes out with a successor device (as in Plaits succeeding its predecessor, Braids), that would tend to indicate Mutable's signed off on those earlier designs, so copy away. I do see his point about the currently-active parts of his line, though...but at the same time, there's two points that nag at me. First up, the main reasons why I myself would use the Codex Modulex clones would be 100% based on their size. If Mutable could give me a Veils in 8 hp, I'd certainly rather have that...but Veils fits in 12, and when you need to cram functionality into limited space, hp count is everything. After all, it's why 2hp and Erica's PICO series seem to turn up in a vast amount of builds...people get that point.

The second thing is that open source insistance. Several years back when there were far fewer Eurorack manufacturers, that philosophy make way more sense. But now, in times where massive retailers such as Thomann and Sweetwater sell Eurorack gear, when there's a pile of manufacturers vying for business, open source is a BAD idea. If Mutable's module designs weren't as amazing as they are, Olivier Gillet wouldn't have this problem. But those amazing designs are a double-edged sword if they're not carefully managed like other important intellectual properties. Open source is applaudable...unless the concept boomerangs back around to kick your own ass, then it's very much a royal pain! This isn't like other firms just wholesale ripping off other firms' designs; there's a tacit "approval" for these designs to be used by third parties. But I think some better foresight about modular synthesis's exploding desirability might've been useful here.