I'm glad you appreciated my response, but really everyone else has been trying to help you too!

so don't be confused or unhappy - relax and enjoy people trying to help you - even if you have to answer a question or 2 along the way!!!

it's quite a common thing to ask questions in reply to questions, when you think the question is too broad and needs to be more focused more to give a good reply - the more information the better - "this is exactly what I have now", "this is what I want to do" , "this is the genre(s) of music I am interested in" and "this is why I want to use a modular effects rack over vsts" are all really useful bits of pertinent information for focusing a reply

I can see why you might take exception to - what are you intending to use for modulation?, but really it's just the same as you need some modulation, think about it and come back - this is the internet - it's never (fingers-crossed) going to be the most polite place in the world - but it can be one of the most efficient (and for that matter one of the least efficient) ways of getting information there is

tbh - the first line of my reply is actually meant to do a similar thing - make you think - is this really for me? in that a lot of people think that building a cool modular effects rack will be a cheaper way into modular synthesis - when really it's not - or that it's a way to get great effects - which maybe it is, but only if you understand the fundamentals of modular synthesis and realise that if you take out the instrument interface and replace it with a vco - you have a modular synthesizer

the rest of the reply I gave was pretty much the reply I always give - because mostly that's what's missing from generic starter racks - utility and modulation - and those are good modules that I have had since I started and that I use constantly 3 years later - and I spent at least 18 months - 2 years researching before I bought a single module

but it only gives you what and not why - answering the questions is a better route to gaining that knowledge - or replying to my response asking why you need modulation and utilities, for example, rather than just blindly buying whatever modules someone on the internet says you should!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities