Thanks for this Jim,

NP

You are so right about the rack but there is just something so aesthetically appealing about having it in the same wood etc and attaching to the brute nicely etc.
I am wanting a fun mini modular setup hence the 3u.

I completely understand the want for a rackbrute, given the minibrute and the ability to connect them - but seriously consider the 6u instead of the 3u - it's quite a lot cheaper per hp - and you will almost definitely need the hp - 6u is still quite a small modular - fill the gaps with blind panels - you can make them from cereal boxes if you don't want to spend money on metal ones - plus it folds together and fits the carry case better

I play many acoustic instruments in my music with real drums, guitars, bass guitar and a Rhodes piano. I love working with samples too and have always used an MPC for doing that. I am far more ProTools than Ableton 😄

I don't get on with Ableton either - used to use ProTools but moving to logic

I am not looking to become an out and out electronic music producer so to speak and have a clear-ish scope of what sound spectrums I am looking for from my synth. I have not gone gate heavy in my modules as these seem more for drums etc. - i might be waaay off here though.

gates trigger and keep open envelopes, envelopes open vcas, vcas let signals through when open - they're kind of useful!

The brute does a great job for what I want but hope that with just a few more modules I could add a bit more depth, texture, polish and complexity to the sound.

I 'just wanted a few modules' a few years ago - I now have a 100+ module synthesizer that outputs both audio and video which was never my intention and neither was synth or case diy (most of my cases and half the modules are diy) - it just creeps up on you!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities