Right...the idea behind the original essay came from a period where everyone and their pet goldfish was WAAAAAY overhyped about modular for some gawdawful reason (probably YouTube-related), and I was trying to pour some icewater on that with a more realistic look at "why modular in the first place". And while I will say that it's best suited for a "...certain type of musician...", that musician in question is one who's gotten comfortable enough with their musical direction that they know what a bespoke system of their own design will allow them to accomplish. Oh...an EXPENSIVE bespoke system. That's important here.

See, this stuff's expensive. People routinely drop thousands on these boxes of circuitry. And just as routinely, you've got people who put these systems together then wonder WHYYYYYYYYYYYY it doesn't sound like the skiff they saw on [INSERT YOUTUBE INFLUENCER HERE]'s channel. And this goes right back to that inexperience. It's sort of like college: people think nothing of dropping tens of thousands on tuition, room, board, and books while, at the same time, coming into that future debt with ZERO idea of what they want to do with the rest of their lives. And naturally, these people either have to figure themselves out PDQ, or they get a clue and get out...or they buy all the way in and get a degree that's about as useful as mudflaps in the Sahara.

"Ultimately I think if you approach it like you would any hobby everything will be fine - do your research, have reasonable expectations, understand what you're investing into, and do it for yourself." And I'm with you there. But I just insist that people really be sensible with this process, so I'm trying to get people to STOP and to THINK before they watch a few YT clips and then decide they're 999% SOLD on this without comprehending that there ARE pitfalls here. And sometimes, that takes a hella WHACK with the modular synth keisaku to snap people out of that mindset.