I second all of the module recommendations that Exper suggested above (Atlantis, Rings, Clouds, Mimeophon). Rings even has a hidden setting that has a polyphonic(!) Roland RS09 string/organ chord mode. edit Plaits can also do some pretty chords. I love the BOC sound that you are describing, and if you are looking at modular as a supplement to other (polyphonic) gear, you can achieve some excellent and beautiful results (not just Merzbow-ish sounds, though you can do that too). The Lo-Fi Junky really does seem to be the BOC sound in a box, so you may want to consider that. Error Instruments also has a new module called the Vintagesizer, which is not yet on MG, that does sort of the same warbly thing. I picked up a secondhand Phonogene and a Radio Music for sample manipulation, and I get some trippy BOC-ish sounds that way. The only downside is that I had to invest in some other utility modules to really get the most out of it. Which brings me to my next point...
God forbid we all actually have fun doing this. Yes, modular is expensive. So what? No, modular will never be a substitute for other sound sources. So what? Most importantly it is a fun way to achieve results that you may have never stumbled across otherwise. Sure, I probably could have just picked up an Elektron Analog Keys to achieve a lot of the sounds I like, but I would have been miserable dealing with that interface. Now, I make music that I like all the time. I stopped making music for a long time because I just didn't enjoy using software so much. Now, I am so happy that Eurorack caught on with a wider audience. It really got my imagination running and fostered my creative spirit again.
If you think you would enjoy the interface and experience of modular, GO FOR IT. You can build an instrument that is unique to you. It doesn't have to be some spartan, utilitarian tool if that's not what you want. It can be an instrument that constantly begs you to play and experiment. Just be prepared to do a lot of research if you don't want to waste time and money.