My favorite threads are the ones where modular users are sharing their creations. I hate when I see people sucking the joy out of the creative and learning processes. And yes, there is a lot to learn just by listening to others’ music while looking at their racks, some massive and some tiny.
There are an infinite number of ways to do this. We all have different budgets, ideas about what sounds and modules are cool, how serious of a hobby this is, beginner modules, rack size (seriously though, get a bigger rack than you think you need if you plan to take this seriously), etc.
To some this is serious business, to others it’s an escape, to others it’s a tool of expression, and to others it’s a toy. We’re not curing cancer here, so I recommend having fun above all. Try to figure out your workflow and desired sound reasonably quickly, do enough research that you pick the right modules for YOU, and don’t make a lot of expensive mistakes. Then share your creations with others so we can all learn from your successes and mistakes.
Have fun and good luck!