the problem with starting with a small case (as highlighted by @ModLifeCrisis) is that the modular you want may not fit in the case - so you will end up buying more cases (which are comparatively more expensive)

the best way to start a modular is to get an idea of what modules you want and which modules are needed to support those modules (yes you probably do need vcas, mixers, envelope generators, etc etc etc) add 30% for expansion and then find the case too fit

starting with a tiny case almost always means that many more compromises have to be made - it's your personal, self-designed musical instrument - do you really want to make it a compromise??????????????????????
-- JimHowell1970

Hi @JimHowell1970,
I agree with you 100% if your aim is to create, as you say, a personal, self-designed musical instrument. You definitely don't want to be limited by space if that's the end point because, as you say, buying a larger case is not that much more expensive than buying a smaller one and why limit yourself needlessly? Very good point.

For me, as I said, I like the fact that the Nifty Case doesn't impose itself too much on my desk and I have just enough modules to get a taste of what modular has to offer. For me, it's an add on rather than a centrepiece. I also like the fact (at least I think I do) that I've ended up with the modules I've ended up with - I see it as a sort of meta-random and I'm enjoying finding out what I can do with these modules, asking what do the modules want from me, rather than what do I want from the modules - if that makes sense.

But totally - your advice is a whole lot more sensible than mine and I would urge anyone not to listen to a word I say... :)