Ah, I understand totally. A lot of times I work intuitively too, that's why I'm into modular and hardware in general. Being able to physically turn a knob and hear the effect instantly...software, menus and mice kill my creativity! Whether you work with your right or left hemisphere or both, do what gets you the best results!

So I think that no, you don't have to become an electrical engineer and understand how the underlying circuitry makes your sound, and you totally don't have to read sheet music. However, IMHO modular synth is building complex stuff from simple blocks and if you don't understand the function of the simple blocks, I think you're due to hit a wall.

Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know now but I'd for sure try to reverse engineer the basics of Atlantis. Then you can think: "hey Atlantis is cool but basic....I wish I had a synth voice with an oscillator that sounded like this, into a filter like that" If you're a visual learner, skip the manuals and check out channels like divkid, he's great. For sure listen to modules...people can describe in text how something sounds only so well.

So I guess if I'm like a Jazz Sax improv master, I don't care about reading music, but I have to know what all the buttons and levers on my sax do. Then I can unleash raw intuitive right hemisphere organized chaos on it, which is as much as an art form as writing classical sheet music for an orchestra. Like abstract expressionist painting vs hyper real portraits. They're both admirable and meaningful to me.