Complex analog oscillators... the modulation possibilities. An analog oscillator isn't subtractive. They can be used in subtractive set-ups and usually are. But subtractive synthesis means you're removing frequencies to shape your sound... not the source of the sound. Check out some Youtube videos using the Rubicon 2... or the Make Noise DPO. They are analog but can produce a lot more than your simple waveforms. Take note of the modulation possibilities both in and out of an oscillator. Some oscillators can be run at LFO rates... there's also something to be said about audio rate modulation (using the oscillator as a modulation source rather than sound).

A preference for digital oscillators is perfectly fine. But something with more modulation inputs than Plaits. You don't have to ditch Plaits. It's perfectly useful and will continue to serve in larger set-ups. Noise Engineering makes some very nice digital modules. But I'd go with the bigger NE units rather than the 12HP smaller ones... much more modulation inputs...

There isn't a good source for second hand modules. You pay your money and take your chances. Dealers will want more money. But the reputable ones won't sell broken gear or steal your money. Doing business with an individual means taking more risks and paying less. This website has a buy/sell section. You will also find modular synth buy/sell groups on Facebook.

-- Ronin1973

Thanks for explaining. I had forgotten about Complex Oscillators and assumed the basic stuff which you basically have to use filters with if you want to get anywhere. I've used Complex Oscillators "in the box" and I do agree they are fascinating. Thank you for recommending Rubicon + DPO. Will check those out.

Thanks for the info on second hand modules. I'll look around and see if anything is going in my area. Fortunately I live in an area which has a modular synth shop nearby so I am planning to pay them a visit and try some of these modules out to see if this set up i'm planning makes sense for my musical needs.