TL;DR

After some playing around in VCVRack (very fun!), I came up with another design.

bigger_rack

Same goals as before, sans portability. Forget that. Waaaaaaay too limiting.

What could I do better?

Overall Design

I realized that trying to fit all my modulators on one row wasn't going to work, so I organized my rack something like this.

Row 1: Modulators - Sound Sources - Sound Modifiers
Row 2: Modulators - Sound Modifiers - Sound Modifiers
Row 3: Sequencers - Quantizers - Output

Row By Row

Row 1

This row is designed as the start of the signal chain. Blinds, Links, and Buff Mult, aside from interacting with Maths, can also channel modulation from below. I also included a sequential switch for arps. For voices, I chose Michigan Synth's Beehive (mini Plaits), Acid Rain's Chainsaw (for huge basses) , and Instruo's Ts-L v2. On to the filters: Erica's Polivoks VCF (also for basses), Endorphines' Squawk Dirty To Me, and Tiptop's Forbidden Planet. Add Dreadbox's Euphoria for some richness, and wrap it up with Veils.

Row 2

This row adds the finishing touches to the sound before sending it down to the mixer. But first, we have Intellijel's Quadrax and Michigan Synth's Pique (mini Peaks) running through Xaoc's Samara II and Blinds. (I think Blinds is my favorite module. Why does it have to be so big?) Then we have some ways to break sound. Qu-Bit's Data Bender for digital breakage, and Schlappi's 100 Grit for analog grinding. After Veils, we have a few spatial effects: Noise Engineering's Desmodus Versio for delay/reverb, and Mutable's Beads for ambient magic.

Row 3

This row is all about control. For a master clock, I used a 4MS QCD. For CV sequencing, I chose Malekko's Voltage Block, because it has a lot of channels. For trigger sequencing, I chose Intellijel's Steppy, because, again, it has a lot of channels. Throw in Erica's Mix/Split for sharing the clock, Acid Rain's Switchblade for a little bit of live control, and Michigan Synth's Pachinko (mini Marbles) for some randomness. Instruo's Harmonaig can be used with the sequential switch for arps, or with Chainsaw for chords. I added DivKid's ochd and Blinds (again!!), in case I forgot to modulate anything. I chose the 4MS Listen Four as a mixer. Finally, there's the tiny Monome Crow. I added that because I like the idea of programming my synth, and I'd like to try it someday.

All the best,
Jack