Hi Nickgreenberg,

Sorry, I must have overlooked your post :-( Some feedback and input from my side.

I am very happy with the Vector (with expander module) from Five12, this is a serious sequencer to be considered. If you want to hear just an example of what kind of "crazy" things you can do with it, check my demo about this one out:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/10041

Generally, if you are going to look seriously into a sequencer, and from the look of your posts, you are :-) Then take your sweet time and try to be honest and clearly as possible with yourself. What do I expect from a sequencer? What are my (minimum) requirements? To give you some food for thought (but not exclusive because for sequencers there is so much to check):

• Number of voices?
  • Drum/percussion only? Synth leading voices? Both?
  • Number of steps, patterns, songs, presets, scenes, etcetera? Which of those are important to you? (confusing is that many manufacturers are using different terminology which doesn't make it easier for you to choose and to recognise when comparing them with each other)
  • Should it be able to do: ratcheting? glide? repeat? groove? velocity? mute? etcetera, again check what's important for you
  • Check if you are happy with the length (of the sequence) setting for the global sequencer or do you want that to be possible per voice/track?
  • Direction of the sequence, only forward? Or also backwards? Random? Ping-pong? There are a few very good sequencers but (some of them) they are very limited in their directions, some only forward :-( So please check for yourself what do you want the sequencer to be able to do?
  • Can you set the probability of each step (per track if possible)? Meaning that the sequencer puts a kind of chance to each note if it will be played or how many times or does it change the direction or does it do more or less ratcheting, etcetera
  • Are you okay with menu diving or rather not? I believe I read you don't want menu diving, so quite a few sequencers are not applicable for you then (by the way, for a sequencer I also don't want real menu diving, you want it to be playable and kind of logically to use and there should be no need for a manual laying next to it how to use it)
  • Do you want some modulation influence possibilities? Not all sequencers can do that

I most probably still forgot tons of parameters that one could/should check when trying to decide: "Which sequencer is the right one?" I felt it was a kind of nightmare to choose. My conclusion is: there is no real perfect sequencer... you have to make some compromises to come to that kind of "perfect sequencer that suites you best" :-)

It took me about one-and-a-half years and though I don't have the perfect sequencer, I am pretty happy with the Vector (together with the Jack Expander); it comes close to the perfect sequencer.

By the way, all the points for consideration I gave you here above, most of those can be handled/done by the Vector. Not many sequencers that can do all of that.

Good luck with the search for the sequencer and once you made your choice, I hope you will let us know, if possible with a demo of it :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads