I've been looking at the ES-8 as a replacement for my Focusrite, it seems more convenient to have the audio interface in the rack to save some space on the desk and move easily from one place to another, also sending CV from the computer to the modular would be a plus. However, I'm not sure how this module would work.

What I need is a way to sync and multi-track both external and modular gear with Ableton Live. Right now I'm doing that with a Focusrite audio interface, I just connect the external gear and the modular to the Focusrite inputs, connect it to the computer via USB and listen the main output with the Focusrite headphones or monitor outputs.

As I understand, the ES-8 could be connected to the computer via usb and that would allow me to sync the clock and multi-track from the 4 inputs. What I don't know is if I could use the ES-8 inputs for external gear too or if it works at modular levels only. Also, I'm not sure how I would listen to the main output, can a couple of the outputs on the ES-8 be used for that purpose? can the monitors be connected directly to that outputs? otherwise I could send the main lines to the MakeNoise XOH and use the headphones / line out from there, but I'm not sure if that would work.