After a quick scan of this thread, I would toss in a few "left-field" ideas for consideration:

-- agree with the point above on snappy low pass gates, more generally, an envelope with really great control over very short parameters would suit you well

-- reminds me of the Dave Smith Instruments Tempest forum chain particularly https://stimresp.wordpress.com/tempest-recipes/ ... I suggest you scan that thread. It has a ton of useful information about perc synthesis

-- lately I've gotten into more digital modular OSCs and they are astonishing. Qu-Bit Electronix Scanned Organic Wavetable VCO and several of the Noise Engineering products are really blowing my mind. NE-BIA is used for perc but several others would be good too including LIP. Those paired with a snappy perc envelope / filter would be great. SSF Tryptich as processing to add a ton of filth is also worth considering. The Xaoc Leibniz Binary system components are also things I'm considering to go into sonic outer space.

The takaways here would be i) a good perc envelope will be key ii) there's a ton of other sonic space you can look at, particularly on the OSC or FX side, to take you into undiscovered country for perc sounds.

Good luck, enjoy!